Never Been Kissed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Never Been Kissed Reviews

July 7, 2007
I love Drew in these rom coms. She plays a geeky girl who goes back to high school as an undercover reporter.
September 6, 2010
This is a movie I loved when I was younger, but as I got older it got more ridiculous and less funny. It has a story that has been used in other films, but Barrymore gives it a fresh, cute feel, and it has heart too, so I still like it.
July 10, 2012
Rob Geller: Wow, that was just like "Carrie"! I thought she was gonna kill us all.

"A Comedy With Class"

Never Been Kissed is one of the sorriest excuses for a movie I have seen. It's so annoyingly joyful. It's basically one huge delusion. Hey, I can go back to high school where I never really fit in, and have a second chance. Oh, look now I'm the most popular girl in school and all the boys want to tickle my belly button from the inside(obvious Youth in Revolt allusion). But I'm still the girl I was when no one liked me. I still have a great modesty about me that I'll give up my reign on top for a fellow nerd in need. And you know what? I'll still get the guy. Give me a fucking break. Could this movie be anymore predictable and dull? Answer: Probably, but not much more.

The movie is extremely flawed in a variety of ways; some don't even pertain to the travesty they kill this plot. Their high school research was awful. These characters didn't feel like real high school students to me in the way good high school movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Dazed and Confused did. It feels more like their not even using cliche, but just the cliches, cliches. I know that makes no sense at all, but it is the only way to describe this film. Here's the plot. A copy editor get assigned to go undercover at a high school posing as a teenager, and find a story. When the story involves her getting in good with the cool kids, her brother comes along for the ride also posing as a student.

This is one of those romantic comedies that you have to have a vagina to watch. I'm a guy who can appreciate good, romantic movies, but when they are as tired and shamefully optimistic as this one, they can't be enjoyed by me. I'm actually a fan of Drew Barrymore, and it pains me that I hate this movie and her character as much as I do, but it's just the fact. The last scene of this movie made me nauseous at how fake and corny it was. I'm gonna put myself in front of the world and let my love come to me. Put five minutes on the clock. I wonder what's going to happen. Fuck this movie.
August 12, 2008
I don't wanna be the badguy...but kinda boring
February 3, 2008
Adorable movie about a journalist, Josie Geller, asked to go undercover as a senior student at South Glen South High School. She agrees to it but forgets that whenever she was in high school she was called names. At first she has a hard time fitting in but her brother enrolls and tells lies about Josie to make her popular because she has to befriend the popular kids for a story when that doesn't work she has to do a story on her teacher, Sam Coulson. When she finally writes her piece she writes that she is in love with Sam & will wait on the baseball mound before the first inning of the South Glen South game. This is a heart warming tale of a girl who never got her real first kiss & wants to have it with the man she loves. A five star romantic classic! :) Michael Vartan is so cute in this movie!!! :) :) :)
June 23, 2011
Another great romantic film! Drew Barrymore plays her character perfectly. A must see!
June 5, 2007
I'll admit, the final football scene was kind of cute, and Michael Vartan is really freaking fiiiiiine, but god this dialogue makes me want to throw up.
August 1, 2009
Despite a few genuinely funny moments, this is pure schmaltz coupled with a bad case of stereotype. Only Drew Barrymore's great performance saves it. Full review later.
½ December 30, 2006
An average Rom-Com for me with quite a bit of teen comedy humour thrown in as well. It has some quite funny scenes set at the high school as the geeky kid who grew up, returns as an undercover journalist trying to fit in with the popular kids second time round.
July 29, 2010
Sorry, but I'm a chick, and this is a chick flick. It's my genre, it's who I am, and I love this film precisely because it caters to all the sad teenage girls out there. Loved it!
May 24, 2009
Completely implausible and dorky, but what can you expect from Drew Barrymore?
June 4, 2009
Michael "Hammerhead" Vartan looks like an Anvil. and this is stupid
½ January 15, 2007
Ugh. Really? This was made in 1999? You could have told me that this was John Hughes' afterbirth ripped from the early 80s and I would have believed you. This is basically the cinematic equivalent of a glacier, floating backwards into some sort of moronic rom-com whirlpool. Drew Barrymore gives it her best shot, but even her noblest efforts basically amount to piss in a hole. This is the type of triteness so complete that, even within the world of the film, triteness is what is considered acceptable; see the rapturous response to Barrymore's laughably bad newspaper article at the end of the film. The film makes it sound like she deserves a fucking Pulitzer for her ~*~scathing examination~*~ of bitchy high schoolers and not getting kissed by her pedophile pretend teacher. I cannot think of a single newspaper that wouldn't laugh that shit straight out of the copy room. Also no way in fuck would someone as hot as Leelee Sobieski be a social outcast. At absolute worst, she'd be the nerdy girl that all the nerdy guys pass around and who gets a really sordid reputation.

UGH. Why do I even care anymore.
½ February 20, 2009
Never been kissed is a teen-comedy about a reporter who finds herself enrolling back into Highschool, in which her first time around, didnt go so well. She faces the same trials and tribulations as the first time until her "cool" brother enrolls and helps her gain that popularity that she always dreamed of having...

This movie is pretty funny, it has a good idea and exaggerats the cliques of Highschool even better, and has a pretty good plot. I enjoyed watching it and even though in a sense it's a chick flick, I think most other guys will too.

It has a little bit for everyone. It's a perfectly made comedy, as an over all movie, it suffers a little from unoriginality. It's easy to be able to predict scenes before they fully unfold and it's even easier to predict the ending - but it's still a great movie.
October 12, 2008
Enjoyable and memorable but cheesy of course.
January 27, 2007
It's a lovely teen movie... Drew Barrymore really shows her great acts in this movie, she's the talented one... And a little surprising that this movie got some talented young actors that become famous in nowadays like Jessica Alba and James Franco, they just great... Great and lovely movie about teenagers...
April 26, 2008
Another feel good movie. Drew Barrymore gets relive her highschool days - this time attending grad AND she gets to make a speech to the grads about how unimportant grad dances are.

The film is OK, it is just not too memorable.
½ April 22, 2008
Never Been Kissed is my top three favorite Drew Barrymore films..along with Ever After and The Wedding Singer...all soo funny.

Drew plays a reporter that goes back to high school to uncover good stories for her paper..only to find love and many crazy situations....have to see this one.
½ June 19, 2007
Drew Barrymore is okay, but little funny as a shy Chicago Sun Times copy editor who is sent to undercover as a local high school student. I don't think Barrymore looked young enough as a student since Poison Ivy.
½ May 21, 2007
This is a great movie. I was embarrassed for Drew's character throughout most of the movie.