• PG, 1 hr. 36 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

New In Town Reviews

Wildaly M

November 26, 2009
Yes, it's got the same old clichà (C)s but it's not so bad it can't be watched.
Red L

September 23, 2012
It is a familiar theme - up-and-coming corporate executive comes to town to close down its only plant, but falls in love with town and some guy and does all she/he can to save the town business. For some reason, I was not happy with Renée Zellweger's performance. It is hard to see Renée as a corporate executive.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 8, 2011
New In town had to potential in being a good film. Unfortunately, it's an awful mess of a romantic comedy that relies on the same old repetitive clichés. New In Town was a boring, unimpressive film that proves once again that Renee Zellweger can't act. The film is boring, dull and poorly executed. I hated the film. I found the jokes to be uninteresting, and if they were supposed to be funny, I forgot to laugh. This is a pointless romantic comedic with a bad cast (aside from J.K Simmons, who's wasted here), this film is terrible. Director Jonas Elmer can't craft an effective plot, or direct a good film for that matter. The film lumbers along like your typical romantic comedy, and doesn't do anything new with the formula. The best way I could describe this film, is simply that it's a waste of time. The film simply wasn't entertaining. The cast wasn't good and the plot was dull, uninteresting, and you lost interested halfway through. New In Town is one of those films that you wish was never made. The film doesn't do anything whatsoever to immerse you into its story. Instead, the film irritates you, and makes you wish it was over. Of all the romantic comedies that I have seen, New In Town is one of the worst. Writing wise, acting wise, the film absolutely doesn't cut it. This a mess of a film that uses overused clichés to try and create something refreshing, but it doesn't work. New In Town is a boring, poorly crafted film that is worth avoiding!
movieguru12
movieguru12

June 24, 2009
Such an adorable movie. Renee Zellweger and Harry Connick Jr. are an match made in heaven and I always enjoy J.K. Simmons performances in movies. I also was excited to also find out that Frances Conroy was in this movie. I love her in American Horror Story. Safe to say, this is an amazing movie!
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 1, 2011
I don't really know why I'm wasting even more of my life by writing about why this movie is so bad, but why not. New In Town is borderline the most excruciating time I have ever had while watching a movie. Horrible on every conceivable level. It's supposedly a comedy, but I guess the joke is on me as I didn't laugh once throughout this entire movie; not even a little smirk. Another very predictable rom-com, but even worse as everything about it is so dull. There's nothing fun about watching this movie. Most movies have something you can take away from it, not this piece of garbage. It makes What Happens in Vegas look like a masterpiece.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 1, 2011
Boring, unfunny, and Zellweger doesnt deliver
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

January 27, 2009
A romantic comedy movie that really sold the name and the performance from Renee Zellweger only since the only well-known actors in this movie just Harry Connick Jr. and J.K. Simmons (Spiderman).. And fortunately, Renee did really well in this movie that made me more amazed by her performance, because even it is just a comedy movie but she give her best shot in this movie...The story itself wasn't great, but interesting to be found the ending, even though I know that this one would end in a happy ending... Overall, it's a lovely romantic comedy movie and it was really lovely to see how Renee's performance in here pleased mine...
Alexis N

August 10, 2010
It's a fish out of water story where the fish falls in love with the town and Harry Connick Jr. It was very cute.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

February 15, 2009
This movie fell flat for me. Had some funny moments, but not enough to keep me interested the whole movie through.
Although I did enjoy the acting of Harry Connick Jr. and J.K. Simmons. I thought they were very funny. I don't care for Renee Zellweger. I haven't liked anything from her since Jerry Mcguire.
But, if you like bad romantic comedies then this is your kind of movie. But I would watch this just for some of the funny parts it does have, and for some of the acting.
Nicki M

January 29, 2009
Felt like I had seen this all before. I don't mind a lame chick flick, but this was a bit lame even for me to enjoy. It reminded me of "The Proposal", but not as good, and I didn't find "The Proposal" that much of a good movie to start with either, so that's hardly a recommendation. Renee Zellweger is always likeable, but this story really felt old and contrived.
boxman
boxman

September 17, 2009
Uninspired, slack, overly sentimental, deeply formulaic, the romantic comedy New in Town is so lazy it could have been written by a committee of trained chimps. This tired fish-out-of-water story takes a big city businesswoman (Renee Zellweger) and drops her in frigid small town Minnesota. Get ready for funny Fargo accents and dated stereotypes, doncha? know. First the locals are ridiculed and then our big city gal discovers that these small town folk are to be envied. Just once, I?d like to see a Hollywood movie where a big city professional takes an extended jaunt in some Podunk town and discovers at the end ? that small towns are overrated and they?ll take the big city any day. Sorry Sarah Palin, small towns do not have a monopoly on values and are not any more truly American than we city dwellers. Anyway, Zellweger looks like she?s in pain the whole time, then again that could be that natural contortion of her scrunched-up face. There?s a romance between her and the local union rep (Harry Connick Jr.), some lessons to be learned, and a late savior in the form of tapioca pudding. New in Town is moronic at most every step, and given the current wintry economic climate, a romantic comedy about downsizing feels like a bad joke in itself.

Nate's Grade: C
deano
deano

February 16, 2009
This heartwarming comedy is a genuisely funny! I giggled when Renee Zellweger enter outside from the airport on her first day at frozen Minnesota and said louder "HOLY MOTHER-".
This is your typical chick flick, lonely city dweller (Zellweger) meets truck-driving union (Harry Connick, Jr.), she thinks he is a loser, and he thinks she is too. After a few disaster type dates which should have ended the whole thing, you guessed it, they get involved. Along the way, they save the company, and both become heroes. Zellweger did a fine job of being the outsider in the small Minnesota town and getting them to accept her.
Leigh R

January 31, 2009
Funny... not too shabby. : )
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 5, 2009
Not too shabby, it was nice and sweet, pretty good movie!

A high-powered consultant in love with her upscale Miami lifestyle is sent to a middle of nowhere town in Minnesota to oversee the restructuring of a blue collar manufacturing plant. After enduring a frosty reception from the locals, icy roads and freezing weather, she warms up to the small town's charm, and eventually finds herself being accepted by the community. When she's ordered to close down the plant and put the entire community out of work, she's forced to reconsider her goals and priorities, and finds a way to save the town.
Nani V

January 27, 2009
For some odd reason my boyfriend wanted to rent this, so I watched it with him. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a romantic comedy or just a comedy, but I didn't feel any connection between Renee Zellweger and Harry Connick Jr or her relationship with most of the other characters. Some scenes seemed rushed to me or had no point. It's something to watch, but don't expect too much.
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

June 9, 2009
New In Town starring Harry Connick Jr. & Renee Zellweger is a sweet comedy. It does get to be a bit of a tiring plot but still worth watching.
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Boring, unfunny, and Zellweger doesnt deliver
Mark A

June 28, 2009
I am always a sucker for a good romantic comedy and this one fits the bill. Renee Zellweger is spot on as Lucy, the fish-out-of-water Miami up-and-comer transferred to Minnesota at the beginning of winter. No surprises as the script pretty much followed the formula, but the quality of the acting and the culture clash kept the chuckles coming. Harry Connick as the union rep was adequate, and enough of a hunk to make the ensuing sparks believable. A film succeeds or fails on its ability to entertain, whether or not it is geographically accurate. Hollywood operates on selling an illusion. This one succeeds.
SC007
SC007

October 9, 2011
The film was so so. It kind of reminded me of the film Extract, but I thought that film was better. The film needed a rewrite. The pacing was off.

Acting wise, Renee Zellweger did a good job in the lead role. I could have seen Sandra Bullock play that role too. She did have a good on screen chemistry with Harry Connick Jr. I thought some of the actors in the supporting roles were miscast. I did like the music in the film.

Overall, worth checking out only for Zellweger's performance.
Fascade F

July 28, 2009
This movie was sheer joy to watch...and enjoy. Renee Zellweger grabs you and holds onto you throughout this entire movie.With some assistance from Harry Connick Jr....this movie shows the incredible power if what happens when people work together. See this...it is worth watching.