New In Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

New In Town Reviews

April 18, 2015
Normally not a fan of Rom-Com, I found this movie to be genuinely memorable and fun to watch. Weirdly quirky. It uses an almost monty-python-ish type of exaggeration on characters, accents and small town life. The ending could be rewritten.... but that is the case in most "boy meets girl" movies.
½ February 3, 2009
Not sure if I want to see it or not. I'd have to be bored I think, but I can relate to being frozen all the time.
½ February 3, 2009
Loved it. Such great chemistry between them. Love Harry Connick Jr. in this.
September 10, 2014
Bit mean to give only 29%
February 5, 2009
Ice fishing? Gotta see it. You betcha!
April 13, 2014
At first I wasn't really into this movie, but as I continued to watch I started to enjoy it more.
July 5, 2009
I was expecting a very cliched film, but was actually surprised that neither the plot nor the characters were the usual cookie-cutter type. The relationship between Zellweger and Connick's characters is not the stereotypical classy girl meets small town hunk; they both are a bit more nuanced and come across as borderline unlikeable at the beginning. The townsfolk are also a bit irritating, but you soon warm to them. And the story takes interesting twists. Not the trainsmash I was expecting.
½ July 26, 2011
What a socialistic ending! The union FTW.
½ February 15, 2014
It's an okay movie with a good story
January 27, 2014
This quaint little movie gradually won me over with the quirky Minnesota accents and approach to life. Good mindless fun.
May 20, 2013
Charming, cute, feel good, predictable, funny, (sometimes LOL funny) did I mention predictable? Okay how about cliché? A nothing sort of movie that has its moments especially if you've ever had to deal with severe cold or the idiosyncrasy of small town living and it's locals. Unfortunately I could relate. The nipple scene did make me laugh but all in all a forgettable rom-com. Sometimes though that's just what you're looking for, plus there's something yummy about Harry Connick Jr even if he looks a little rough here.05.13
January 7, 2014
Very cute love story!
December 7, 2013
kill me please. this movie sucked the time from me and thats not cool. i need a cupcake after this. it was just boring! ZERO STARS!
½ January 30, 2009
This one will be a rental for me, but it looks fun. Plus I have a secret crush on Harry Connick Jr.
½ July 27, 2013
Simple story, clichź plot, interesting characters and a few good ideas make New In Town more than you expect of a formulaic comedy.
½ July 9, 2013
The first and biggest problem this film has is the fact that it is a romantic comedy. Being one, it does not deviate from the typical rom-com recipe, what-so-ever. Being rather predictable (and by rather I mean completely to an annoying degree), the film does not offer anything new to the audience. The screenplay is simply bad, with a storyline that was maybe innovative back in the 1980s, but now has become the standardised cliche. One the film manages well is to create a positive relationship between the audience and the Minnesotans in the film. Some very cute scenes are in the film, and one cannot but feel warmly towards them, especially Siobhan Fallon's character, who is, by far, the best thing in this bad film. Renee Zellweger is rather bad - her strongest asset here seems to be her body, and it's in a film where that shouldn't be an issue. But yes, Zellweger doesn't give anything good to the film, and one can only wonder why she ever got cast. Maybe trying to re-connect to her Bridget Jones' days? Be it as it may, the film is rather bad and annoying, full of cliches concerning both rom-coms and Minnesota, and with generally pretty bad dialogue and acting, makes "New in Town" be one of those films you could have easily gone without ever watching.
½ January 28, 2010
Surprisingly cute and sweet. Sure, it was low budget but I enjoyed Harry Connick Jr. and Renee Zellweger. At first I was afraid the movie might take the typical hollywood attitude against people from small towns, but they surprisingly showed them in a good light and how they often work together. Very wholesome and although not top notch, still worth watching on a rainy day.
February 2, 2013
A funny nice comedy about love and what you have to go through in business like a factory when the plant closes. Not to be mean to the Minnesotans i like the way they talk.
April 28, 2013
Ugh, don't waste your time on this. I've found most Lifetime movies amore entertaining. Renee Zellweger 's talent was wasted, and I hope she doesn't do any more like this. Bring back Brigett Jones - those movies are wonderful. Her character in this movie is not interesting, likeable, or funny enough for a romantic comedy. Most of the humor is at the expense of worn-out midwestern stereotypes, played with over-the-top Fargo-like accents.
April 27, 2013
I really don't have much to say. Just a boring, harmless movie