Critics Consensus: New Year's Eve Drops the Ball

Plus, The Sitter is crass and only occasionally funny.

This week at the movies, we've got a star-studded celebration (New Year's Eve, starring Hilary Swank and Halle Berry), and adventures in babysitting (The Sitter, starring Jonah Hill and Ari Graynor). What do the critics have to say?

New Year's Eve

Director Garry Marshall certainly has a yen for celebrity-populated, holiday-centric comedies, but critics say his latest, New Year's Eve, is even weaker than the thematically similar (and critically panned) Valentine's Day, stranding a terrific cast in a thinly plotted, schmaltzy confection. As the title suggests, it's Dec. 31, and a disparate group of New Yorkers (including Hilary Swank, Halle Berry, Robert De Niro, Katherine Heigl, and Zac Efron) are looking for love and/or redemption while waiting for the ball to drop in Times Square. The pundits say New Year's Eve is predictable and sappy, leaving its all-star cast to do what it can with their slightly-realized characters. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we run down other memorable New Year's Eve movies.)

The Sitter

21%

In theory, an irresponsible babysitter and his bratty charges embarking on a precarious journey through the big city could be a recipe for hilarity, but critics say The Sitter only occasionally lives up to its promise, with crass humor and undisciplined plotting outweighing moments of bizarre wit. Jonah Hill stars as Noah, a suburban slacker who grudgingly agrees to look after some neighborhood kids while his mother goes on a date. However, when Noah's sometime girlfriend makes an urgent call to him, he piles the kids into the car and heads into town, where many odd interactions ensue. The pundits say The Sitter has a few gleefully profane gags, but mostly, it traffics in crude, misanthropic jokes and suffers from slack pacing.

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, starring Gary Oldman and Colin Firth in an adaptation of John Le Carré's espionage thriller about a disgraced former spy who's covertly tasked with finding a mole within MI-6, is Certified Fresh at 91 percent.
  • Knuckle, a documentary about the secret world of nomadic Irish bare-knuckle fighters, is at 93 percent.
  • London River, a drama about an unlikely duo that joins forces to search for their children after the 2005 London terrorist bombings, is at 88 percent.
  • We Need to Talk About Kevin, starring Tilda Swinton and John C. Reilly in a psychological thriller about a woman's tenuous relationship with her violent son, is Certified Fresh at 84 percent.
  • Young Adult, starring Charlize Theron and Patton Oswalt in a comedy about a woman who returns to her hometown and forms a bond with a guy she treated badly in high school, is at 80 percent.
  • Seducing Charlie Barker, a comedy about a struggling actor who cheats on his wife with a woman that's more trouble than she's worth, is at 63 percent.
  • My Piece of the Pie, a French dramedy about a single mother who takes a cleaning job with the financial worker who helped shut down the factory where she once worked, is at 57 percent.
  • The French import Goodbye First Love, a drama about a young woman still profoundly affected by a teenage romance, is at 50 percent.
  • W.E., starring Abbie Cornish and James D'Arcy in Madonna's biopic of American Duchess of Windsor Wallis Simpson, is at 29 percent.
  • I Melt with You, starring Thomas Jane and Rob Lowe in a drama about four former college buddies who try to stave off their midlife crises during a wild weeklong getaway, is at 12 percent.

Comments

King Crunk

King Crunk

I wish Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Knuckle were wide releases; I'd pay money to see them in the theater. Hopefully Tinker expands in the coming weeks, while Knuckle does not really stand a chance since it is a documentary, and very rarely do those expand widely.

New Year's Eve looks bad. Really, really freaking bad. One of the most obvious paycheck movies for every single individual invovled. If it does well at the box-office, look forward to Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Christmas, Easter, and any other holiday you can think of movies.

And man, is David Gordon Green having a crappy year or what? Not one, but two critical bombs in one year! Your Highness was a commercial failure, too, and things do not look good for The Sitter on that front either. Bring on Mission Impossible, Tintin, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and Warhorse.

Dec 8 - 04:24 PM

Rebecca Clark

Don't forget Sherlock Holmes!

Dec 8 - 05:44 PM

King Crunk

I'm waiting on reviews before I get excited for that one. Guy Ritchie is hit and miss, but I am hoping this is one of his successes because I really like Downey as Holmes.

Dec 8 - 05:56 PM

Janson Jinnistan

What's the paragraph secret?

Dec 8 - 08:59 PM

King Crunk

Not sure what you are asking, Janson? (Maybe it is a witty joke or reference, but it is flying over my head at the moment)

Dec 9 - 06:51 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

He wants to know how you manage paragraphs in your posts while the rest of us are relegated to giant blocks of text.

Dec 9 - 07:22 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm convinced it's a guild secret.

Dec 9 - 11:46 AM

King Crunk

All you have to do is press the "enter" key, and it drops down to another line. For some reason RT has a no paragraphs in replies rule, so it only works on new posts.

Dec 9 - 12:09 PM

Rebecca Clark

Yeah, I hope Ritchie gets good reviews with the sequel. :)

Dec 9 - 04:22 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has to be my most anticipated film of the year. You check out the 8 minute trailer?

Dec 9 - 02:04 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

LOL, don't get me wrong I'm excited for it too, but having not read the book I was perplexed by the first trailer. I think we saw it at the opening of Money Ball and I looked at my girl and I was like that has to be the most exciting trailer I've ever seen for a movie that told me absolutely nothing about said movie.

Dec 9 - 05:51 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

I was talking about this trailer that runs 8-minutes which was just released, it gives a clear idea of the plot without spoiling too much

Dec 9 - 06:24 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Cool, I'll have to watch it when I get home. Can't do You Tube from here.

Dec 9 - 07:23 AM

King Crunk

I have not watched it because I do not want to see that much of the movie beforehand! lol. It is my most anticipated as well; I was excited way back when the teaser trailer came out with Reznor's version of "The Immigrant Song" playing over it.

Dec 9 - 06:26 AM

johnmcboston

John McLachlan

Agreed - Me and my friends were expecting to see TTSS this weekend, and now who knows. I think Focus is shooting themselves in the foot with this limited release BS...

Dec 9 - 04:51 AM

King Crunk

Tinker will probably expand nationwide eventually. It is looking to be a frontrunner at the Oscars for Best Picture, Director, and Actor (hopefully Oldman will finally get his due; fiingers crossed!), so I would not be too worried about not getting to catch it in theaters.

Dec 9 - 06:48 AM

Flash T.

Flash T

It's a sad state of affairs when shit like "New Year" and "The Sitter" (or anything starring Jonah Hill for that matter) takes precedence over "Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy" and "We Need To Talk About Kevin"

Dec 11 - 02:29 AM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Don't believe the hype. I shall see New Year's Eve and The Sitter. I know both can't beat Twilight and The Muppets, but it's a close start before #1.

Dec 8 - 04:25 PM

King Crunk

What hype? There is virtually no hype for either of those movies. Twilight does not even really have hype behind it; the fanbase is so big that the marketing department just has to put a release date up and the ladies come in droves.

Dec 8 - 04:28 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

For your information, meathead, THIS IS MY COMMENT. not yours! Go bother somebody else.

Dec 8 - 08:27 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Damn, Kadeem. Crunk didn't make any derogatory statements like what I've seen others make. Calm yourself. Shall as you shalt. Enjoy the Kootch.

Dec 8 - 09:05 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You're a dick.

Dec 8 - 09:53 PM

King Crunk

Well you posted it on a forum that any member of this site can reply to, so getting angry over someone trying to engage in conversation is a bit ridiculous. I did not call you names, insult your intelligence, or anything of that nature. To clarify, I was not trying to seem snotty with my first comment, I was just curious as to what you meant by, "Don't believe the hype," because I do not see any real hype with this week's releases besides Tinker Tailor, and that film is in such a limited release that the hype machine will not even be rolling until a few weeks later.

Dec 9 - 06:40 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

"Don't believe the hype" must be the new "cool" thing to say; I've been seeing it on a lot of forums lately. And, much like Kadeem's usage here, it's placement rarely makes sense. You could say "don't believe the hype" about, say, Dark Knight or Avatar or something of that nature. You CANNOT say it about The Sitter or New Year's Eve. Hey Kadeem, will The Sitter be "epic"? Will New Year's Eve be a big "fail"?

Dec 9 - 10:57 AM

Janson Jinnistan

It's Freshy Fresh like summer '88 flava! That's some Funky Cold Mendacity. I shall place my chips on double epic fail for the win, so... (oh, wait, the dangling 'so' is an annoying thing people say, not an annoying thing on forums)

Dec 9 - 11:41 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Don't believe the hype is the new "leet" or "1337". People don't know how to use it, but they insert it there, because everyone else is doing it.

Dec 9 - 12:12 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

You must talk to yourself often..

Dec 9 - 12:45 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Derp derp derpy derp derp

Dec 8 - 09:27 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I think you mean "derka derka"

Dec 8 - 10:37 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Kadeem probably thinks Team America is a very serious movie and "derka derka" was an accurate portrayal, so it'd be lost on him/her.

Dec 9 - 12:19 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Wheres my towel when I need it.......

Dec 10 - 07:10 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

Someone's awfully touchy. Take it easy slugger.

Dec 9 - 01:50 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

PMSing perhaps.

Dec 9 - 03:51 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

No, really. This comment doesn't make much sense.

Dec 9 - 07:12 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

It does make sense. So get used to it.

Dec 10 - 01:34 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Blow me. Get used to it.

Dec 10 - 10:14 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Don't Believe the Hype!!!!!! PUBLIC ENEMY! FLAVA FLAVE . . . they need a good Public Enemy retro-movie--this is a sign.

Dec 10 - 08:49 AM

Dec 9 - 11:41 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Dec 9 - 12:12 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

You must talk to yourself often..

Dec 9 - 12:45 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

At least now there's time to watch the artist/hugo/good movies from last week.

Dec 8 - 04:30 PM

So true.

Dec 8 - 05:44 PM

Rebecca Clark

Man, I knew New Year's Eve was going to suck ass from the beginning. Both Fugate and Marshall have made Valentine's Day Hateful, and now they've made it worse with New Year's Eve! Dx Many people will be screaming out that they hate this day, and it's because of Fugate and Marshall ruining it with a similar but much more worse movie!

I even didn't see the reviews for The Sitter coming. Jonah Hill may have to try his luck in another film, I'm pretty sure.

Next week...It's Sherlock Holmes! And he's back in a new adventure!
Plus, ALVINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I want to see Holmes take on a new case that's assigned to him over the Chipmunks. ^.^

Dec 8 - 05:54 PM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

If we're lucky, Holmes with take the #1 spot and beat the rotted remains of that stupid threequel Chipwrecked :-)

Dec 8 - 05:58 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I hate it so much worse because it's so catchy. If my brain lapses for a second that damn Lady Gaga song they're singing comes into my brain in Chipmunk.

Dec 9 - 06:09 AM

YEAH, BABY!!!! :D

We want the famous detective to succeed!!! NOT THE CHIPMUNKS!!!!!!

Dec 9 - 04:23 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Is everybody just writing off Ghost Protocol as a non-contender? Sad that Tom Cruise can't even contend with Chipmunks anymore. I still have faith in him, sadly though I think we'll have another Hugo/Arthur Christmas/Muppets situation where Holmes and MI will end up hurting each other instead of whalloping Chipmunks as they should.

Dec 9 - 09:10 AM

Rebecca Clark

Don't forget Sherlock Holmes!

Dec 8 - 05:44 PM

Dec 8 - 05:56 PM

Janson Jinnistan

What's the paragraph secret?

Dec 8 - 08:59 PM

Dec 9 - 06:51 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 9 - 07:22 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm convinced it's a guild secret.

Dec 9 - 11:46 AM

Dec 9 - 12:09 PM

Rebecca Clark

Yeah, I hope Ritchie gets good reviews with the sequel. :)

Dec 9 - 04:22 PM

So true.

Dec 8 - 05:44 PM

Rebecca Clark

Next week...It's Sherlock Holmes! And he's back in a new adventure!

Dec 8 - 05:54 PM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

Dec 8 - 05:58 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 9 - 06:09 AM

YEAH, BABY!!!! :D

We want the famous detective to succeed!!! NOT THE CHIPMUNKS!!!!!!

Dec 9 - 04:23 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 9 - 09:10 AM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

Far more excited for next week. I'm dying to see A Game of Shadows!!! I been waiting so long!!! ^_^

Dec 8 - 05:55 PM

Yeah!!!! It's a sequel to an epic reboot <3

Dec 9 - 04:24 PM

Dec 8 - 05:56 PM

Janson Jinnistan

What's the paragraph secret?

Dec 8 - 08:59 PM

Dec 9 - 06:51 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 9 - 07:22 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm convinced it's a guild secret.

Dec 9 - 11:46 AM

Dec 9 - 12:09 PM

Rebecca Clark

Yeah, I hope Ritchie gets good reviews with the sequel. :)

Dec 9 - 04:22 PM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

Dec 8 - 05:58 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 9 - 06:09 AM

YEAH, BABY!!!! :D

We want the famous detective to succeed!!! NOT THE CHIPMUNKS!!!!!!

Dec 9 - 04:23 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Two weeks of nothing is fine with me when you consider it's after a great Thanks Givings Weekend and right before what looks like a great Christmas season. My B.O predictions:
1 New Year's Eve 20 Million
2 The Sitter 10 Million
3 Breaking Dawn 8 Million
4 The Muppets 7 Million
5 Hugo 6.5 Million

Dec 8 - 06:03 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

I don't know if New Year's Eve's going to be #1, but we'll see what happens this weekend.

Dec 8 - 08:29 PM

Reyna Nayee

Reyna Nayee

I thought this comment was GeneralWiz's only! LOL

Dec 8 - 11:44 PM

King  S.

King Simba

New Year's Eve will be number 1 this week, but I doubt it will be nearly as big as Valentine's Day, given that film's performance. Despite having a massive opening weekend, that film completely collapsed afterwards, with its opening weekend acounting for more than half of that film's total, so I get this will be a case of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...." Not to mention this film isn't even opening on the titular holiday, and the cast isn't quite as impressive.

Dec 9 - 12:09 AM

King Crunk

Excellent point about Valentine's Day. I think a lot people are forgetting that that movie actually opened on Valentine's Day, so lovebirds flocked to it like crazy.

Dec 9 - 06:33 AM

King Crunk

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THIS IS GENERALWIZ'S COMMENT! :)

Dec 9 - 06:31 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

Yeah... MEATHEAD!

Dec 9 - 09:05 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Don't Don't (buddabuddabudda) Don't Don't (buddabuddabudda) Don't Don't (buddabuddabudda) DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

Dec 9 - 11:43 AM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I was planning to see New Year's Eve...but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Dec 8 - 06:14 PM

SKYRIM.

Dec 8 - 07:20 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Nice you know. This "arrow to the knee" phrase is a new internet meme. BTW, I know nothing about Skyrim or The Elder Scrolls series.

Dec 8 - 07:36 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

LET ME GUESS.. SOMEONE STOLE YOUR SWEET ROLL

Dec 9 - 02:06 AM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I just Googled that phrase. Another Skyrim reference.

Dec 9 - 06:02 AM

Logan L.

Logan Locke

It's amazing how that line from Skyrim has caught on so quickly...

Dec 9 - 06:51 AM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I'm waiting for Sherlock Holmes, War Horse, Tintin, and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Dec 8 - 06:26 PM

Yeahs, me too. :)

Dec 9 - 04:26 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Some of the ones that're on limited release seem prety good, but I don't think they'll do well enough to reach my area so those are automatic rentals!

Dec 8 - 06:56 PM

SKYRIM.

Dec 8 - 07:20 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Dec 8 - 07:36 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Dec 8 - 07:36 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

New Year's Eve was destined to get horrible reviews; however, due to the star power, people will flock to it. I hope to God I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

The Sitter seemed like Hill's way to bank on a family-friendly movie (like Vin with The Pacifier and The Rock with The Tooth Fairy) - so color me surprised when I found out it was rated R. This is going to bomb.

Dec 8 - 07:50 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

It's a guarantee that New Year's Eve will win the weekend. It's the most prominent film this weekend, the first wide release for adults in two weeks. It is a given. The Sitter on the other hand has a chance to bomb because being a rated R movie it has less general audience appeal and Jonah Hill doesn't have enough star power to get in audiences for a horrible movie.

Dec 8 - 09:14 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Saying "New Years Eve" is 'for adults' is probably a better joke than anything you're likely to hear in that movie!

Dec 8 - 09:38 PM

Touche!

Dec 9 - 06:45 AM

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dec 10 - 06:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

More superficially, I hate how Jonah Hill's TV appearance repeat all the same jokes and anecdotes - candy, drug dealers, God Bless Brad Pitt, etc, etc.

Dec 8 - 09:34 PM

Dec 9 - 11:41 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Dec 9 - 12:12 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

You must talk to yourself often..

Dec 9 - 12:45 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies