19% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

New Year's Eve Reviews

Wildaly M

December 19, 2011
A little bit funny. Good but not great.
Spencer S

December 31, 2010
Just one year after Garry Marshall's bid at romantic comedy gold, "Valentine's Day", this celebrity tainted mess came into theaters. It's not explicitly bad because of its average sized cast, or how flagrant it is. I can get behind a romantic comedy of epic proportions, because I did so with its predecessor. "Valentine's Day" may not have been wonderful in every way, but it had human stories, different sides to love's enigma, and really tried to say something about the day in question and how transformative it is. Did it succeed at every turn? Absolutely not, but everything that worked well in that movie is ignored in this one. Instead of exploring the many storylines he sets up for his plethora of characters, Gary Marshall simply crams as many familiar faces into this film as possible. Instead of looking at different facets or stages or ages of love, Marshall simply uses the same heart tugging elements that he did in his previous movie: love between two young people? Check. A soldier far from home? Check. At least there were some actually enjoyable performances in "Valentine's Day", and the two that obviously stood out were Jessica Biel and Ashton Kutcher. Both, as well as Hector Elizondo, show up yet again in this film, with no mention of their former characters from the last film. They're completely different characters, and not exactly enjoyable ones at that. Lea Michele and Jon Bon Jovi are in this film, so of course there are musical numbers. (I bet there was no singing, and it was rewritten when Michele was cast.) The love stories are not all that intriguing either: Katherine Heigl is mad at Bon Jovi. That's a relationship, and that's the entire explanation we're given. Josh Duhamel is looking for some girl, and we don't know what's so great about her except for an offhanded cheesy line. None of the relationships are built up, and where its predecessor really looked at all kinds of love, celebrated diversity, and cared about the characters, this film is so haphazard and clumsy. Besides that the dialogue is atrocious, and most of the time I found myself laughing at this for all the wrong reasons. Its predecessor exemplifies love, and truly, this film is just trying to do the same with some formulaic choices, which makes it weak and palatable at best.
thmtsang
thmtsang

December 10, 2011
All eyes are on New York on New Year's Eve. Similar to Valentine's Day movie it follows the lives of people interacting. Pregnant couples compete to win money for giving birth to the first baby of the new year, Robert de Niro has a dying wish, a guy and gal agree to meet one year on in NYC. Good cast. Heart warming.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 16, 2010
"Enjoyable, but nothing worth seeing here more then once. I enjoyed the ending more than the entirety of the film. Not that the film was awful. I just liked seeing Michelle Pfeiffer bust a movie with Zac Efron. Plus I enjoyed their story the best out of all of them. I thought Lea and Ashton's was cheesy. I didn't see a real point of it being apart of the whole story. Jessica Biel and Seth Meyers was funny. All in all not a bad little flick to watch if your needing to pass some time. Plus I enjoyed the variety of talent it had. But it's nothing worth seeing more than once."
Cynthia S

October 24, 2011
What do you do when you have to make a movie with a mediocre script? Fill it to the rim with really famous people! Sorry, Garry Marshall. Not enough....
Everett J

June 16, 2012
Movies stars don't always make a movie good, and "New Year's Eve" is proof of that. This is a follow-up to "Valentine's Day"(not a sequel), same director and some of the cast, although their different characters. But it's the same premise, just a different holiday. If follows different people on New Years Eve, and how their stories intertwine in New York City. The movie boasts one of the most impressive casts ever. If you named 15 actors off the top of your head, at least half of them are probably in this movie. Ashton Kutcher, Zac Efron, Michelle Pheiffer, Kathriene Keighl, Jon Bon Jovi, Abigail Breslin, Sarah Jessica Parker, Josh Duhamel, Jessica Beil, Seth Meyers, Halle Berry, Robert De Niro, to name just a few! However, the stories are all cliche and pretty bland. They are striving for "Love Actually", but in the end it comes nowhere close to the excellence of that film. Main reason to watch is to count all the actors you know. The performances are good, but the story is weak and for a comedy it isn't very funny. Watch for sheer star power, just don't expect much substance behind their shine.
Nicki M

October 15, 2011
It was okay. It lost half a star for the inclusion of Jon Bon Jovi and his horrible singing (also it was really creepy watching him romantically involved with the much younger katherine Heigl).
There is a lot of stories and characters here. Some I liked (Abigail Breslin, Michelle Pfeifer, Katherine Heigl). Others I couldn't care less about (Jessica Biel, Hillary Swank).
If you liked Valentines Day, you might enjoy this, but there is definitely better out there.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 9, 2011
The lives of several couples and singles in New York intertwine over the course of New Year's Eve.

Pretty much what I expected. The combination of great actors just mixing up in different stories is always good but you do need a good plot and this was good enough to me. Probably a movie I'll see more than once but I won't buy it. Go see it!

Set during New Year's Eve in New York city, this movie follows several people and how the day affects them. Kim is a single mother who still thinks of her daughter, Hailey as a child who wants to go out with a boy so that she could kiss him at midnight. Claire, who is in charge of the city's annual tradition, the ball drop on Times Square. And when something goes wrong she has to ask an electrician, who was fired, to come and fix it. Laura, a chef who is cooking the New year's Eve party for a record company who runs into Jensen, her ex who's a singer whose performing at the party. While he tries to apologize for how things ended, she refuses to accept it. Ingrid, a woman who works at the record company, after having a near death experience decides to quit her job and asks a young messenger, Paul to help her fulfill her resolutions. And at a hospital, Stan, a man who is in the final stages of cancer, only wishes to see the ball drop. Also Griffin and Tess, a couple who are expecting, want to be the ones who give birth first after New Year because of the available cash prize; but another couple is also about to give birth. Randy a man who's not exactly fond of the holiday because of something that happened, finds himself trapped in an elevator with a singer who is one of Jensen's back up singers when he performs at Times Square. And Sam, son of the owner of the record company, who is out of town and is trying to get back to the city so that he could give a speech at the party, but when he has an accident and since it's a holiday, his car can't be fixed so he hitches a ride with some people going to the city. But it seems he has another reason why he needs to get back.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

January 3, 2012
Dont end/start the year with this god awful rom com. Good cast but bloody awful plot and characters. Most of these cast members dont fit with each other anyway! Halle Berry and Ashton Kutcher in the same movie?! Robert deNiro and Askhton Kutcher in the same movie?! Hell anyone of these great actors with Ashton Kutcher is a bad ensemble (he's a good actor dont get me wrong but only when he makes good chemistry with his fellow cast members like two and a half men). To be direct, New Years Eve is a romantic comedy thats aim is to be heartwarming at this wonderful time of the year but comes across as a blizzard of bad chemistry and therefore not romantic in the slightest.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

December 28, 2011
New Years Eve was basically a clone of the 2009 film Valentines Day, it has the same director, the same writer, same producers, and the same storyline but there is one difference between the two movies, they are different holidays, and I felt like that is the only difference. The story follows many different people who all have different experiences on the day of New Years Eve. The plot is exactly what we all were expecting, a vignette of people who all have different stories, but as I was expecting, the stories are uninteresting, the characters are boring, and we all know that they are going to end a on a good note and be really romantic so what was there really to look forward to, no matter how many of these films they make and I cannot see a story like this ever really being good. The cast consists of some very big actors including Ashton Kutcher, Katherine Heigl, Halle Berry, Robert DeNiro, Michelle Pfeifer, Abigail Breslin, Josh Duhamel, Jon Bon Jovi, Sarah Jessica Parker, Zac Efron, Sofia Vergara, Jake T. Austin, Jessica Biel, Ludacris, Seth Meyers, and Ryan Seacrest, and you know what, not a single one of these actors could show how good they are because they only get about 10 minutes of screen time each so what can i say other than they all did this film for a paycheck and nothing else. The comedy was not meant to really make people laugh, it is meant to give a few giggles to some girls who go with their boyfriends to a cheesy romantic movie, so if you did laugh at the film Valentines Day, you will not laugh at this film. New Years Eve respects the holiday and does not stray from being a film that celebrates the holiday so I did not completely dislike the film, but in my opinion it failed in everything else such as story, acting, romance and comedy so I recommend to anybody who wants a good film, but if you want to see a film to celebrate the New Year this is what you will want to see.
Pedro H

December 24, 2011
New Year's Eve

It's OK

This is a fun film, very chessy and stupid but worth sitting around and enjoying it. Each story has a cute little message for everyone where it can get at some point too cute that becomes really dumb.

The cast is great. The movie is about a bunch of famos actors having their individual new year's eve story and at some point their intertwine. There are some awesome names like De Niro, and people like Kutcher and Breslin act really well. But at the same time there are people like Pfeiffer , Heigl and Jessica Parker that are horrible.

So watch this movie at your own risk. You might enjoy it or you might hate it, it depends on how much chesse you can tolerate, and I dont mean wheter your lactose intolorent or not. Have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Claire Morgan: "Remember, second chances don't expire until midnight. "
Flutie A

December 21, 2011
Exactly what you would expect. The performances are spotty at best, but that's no surprise considering they've got a good 2-dozen celebrities starring in different roles. Really enjoyed most of the subplots, and despite being on the lookout for twist endings at the outset, it's still a satisfying ending. The question I have: What holiday do they hit next?
Liam G

December 17, 2011
Just to be quick, I'm gonna review the film with slight changes to something that Hilary Swank says at the beginning of ''New Year's Eve''. ''Magic does exist in the world, because once a year the world come together to HATE ON A CRAPPY ROMANTIC COMEDY''
Cassandra M

December 16, 2011
Well, having seen Valentine's Day and it was crap, now, New Year's Eve felt mechanical and forced, a project merely designed for profit. This is rather a 118 minute tourist video about how wonderful The Big Apple is.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

December 13, 2011
They sure didn't spare any expenses on the casting in this one. Everything from Oscar winners like Robert De Niro, to washed-up has-beens like James Belushi and Alyssa Milano, make an appearance in this phenomenally star-spangled rom-com. My favourite additions, however, would have to be Russell Peters and Sofia Vergara. Russell, because he's hilarious in anything he does or says, and Sofia for her, ahem, eye-pleasing attributes. And that's just to pick out a few from its all-star ensemble. Normally, this is not the type of film I would pay for to watch, but as it was part of a "secret movie marathon" at my local cinema, I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. What first came off as a laughter-bereft chick flick, however, actually turned out to be a fun and heartwarming comedy, in the same vein as Love Actually. Very uneven joke-wise, but for the better part a crowd-pleasing charmer. Nice music performances as well, by Jon Bon Jovi and Glee's Lea Michele.
Tyler C

October 15, 2011
Full of schmaltz and scenes that try to be way too sentimental, New Year's Eve is nothing but a shameful gimmick ensemble with WAY too much product placement!
Dann M

November 21, 2011
From director Garry Marshall comes the fun and heartwarming romantic comedy New Year's Eve. The film follows a series of interrelating stories taking place at the Times Square ball dropping. The cast is especially good, and includes Hilary Swank, Katherine Heigl, Ashton Kutcher, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Zac Efron. The writing's also well-done, and is able to develop each storyline and balance it with the others quite effectively. Additionally, the film has a sincerity and good-nature to it that's charming. But admittedly, New Year's Eve is formulaic and full of stereotypes, yet it uses them well and delivers a festive and delightful romantic comedy with heart.
Bradley W

January 8, 2012
New Years Eve was basically a clone of the 2009 film Valentines Day, it has the same director, the same writer, same producers, and the same storyline but there is one difference between the two movies, they are different holidays, and I felt like that is the only difference. The story follows many different people who all have different experiences on the day of New Years Eve. The plot is exactly what we all were expecting, a vignette of people who all have different stories, but as I was expecting, the stories are uninteresting, the characters are boring, and we all know that they are going to end a on a good note and be really romantic so what was there really to look forward to, no matter how many of these films they make and I cannot see a story like this ever really being good. The cast consists of some very big actors including Ashton Kutcher, Katherine Heigl, Halle Berry, Robert DeNiro, Michelle Pfeifer, Abigail Breslin, Josh Duhamel, Jon Bon Jovi, Sarah Jessica Parker, Zac Efron, Sofia Vergara, Jake T. Austin, Jessica Biel, Ludacris, Seth Meyers, and Ryan Seacrest, and you know what, not a single one of these actors could show how good they are because they only get about 10 minutes of screen time each so what can i say other than they all did this film for a paycheck and nothing else. The comedy was not meant to really make people laugh, it is meant to give a few giggles to some girls who go with their boyfriends to a cheesy romantic movie, so if you did laugh at the film Valentines Day, you will not laugh at this film. New Years Eve respects the holiday and does not stray from being a film that celebrates the holiday so I did not completely dislike the film, but in my opinion it failed in everything else such as story, acting, romance and comedy so I recommend to anybody who wants a good film, but if you want to see a film to celebrate the New Year I guess this is what you will want to see.
Bryan D

May 5, 2012
I feel bad reviewing a movie I didn't fully watch. No, I don't. I walked out of this film. Could it be that bad? To be nice, yes. It is that bad. This film is a total formulaic bore and I am shocked it was green lit. No, no I'm not. Aspiring writers out there, never give up. If a bore like NEW YEAR'S EVE can be made into a movie, your movie can be made too!
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

December 14, 2011
Throwing clunky dialogue and plotting around like cheap confetti, holi-dazed dramedy New Years Eve really drops the ball for moviegoers. In the '70s, ensembles of A-List stars hammed it up in big city disaster spectacles like Towering Inferno and Earthquake! This comparison pretty much sums up the New Years Eve experience, only this time, the screenplay is the disaster. The best that can be said about the color-by-numbers multiple storylines impossibly interconnecting at midnight is that the result is somewhat more enjoyable than the predecessor, Valentine's Day...but this is as empty an accolade as calling St. Nicholas your favorite Santa Claus.

In this PG-13-rated romantic-comedy, the lives of several star-crossed New Yorkers (Parker, Biel et al) intertwine on the last day of the year.

Okay, this reviewer totally gets it. It's an easy paycheck for marquee actors in what's sure to become a solid earning flick, regardless of quality. But make no mistake about it: Watching everybody from Teen Beat cover stories (Zac Efron, Jessica Biel) to Oscar winners (Halle Berry, Hilary Swank) to acting legends (Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer) to pop singers (Jon Bon Jovi, Lea Michelle) get their heads around grade school talent show scripting proves to be the true entertainment. One laughable scene finds Swank giving a canned St. Crispin's Day (potential sequel?) speech to weak-willed and wobbly-kneed New Yorkers, which is a double oxy moron. Puh-lease. Despite all of the mugging, hugging, and scenery chewing, Arbor Day and Boxing Day will doubtlessly follow as payback for this pre-packaged piffle becoming a hit.

Bottom line: Ugh lame sigh.