New York Stories Reviews

January 2, 2012
New York Stories have two good tales: Life Lessons by Scorsese and Oedipus Wrecks by Allen. But Coppola's Life Without Zoe, it's terrible, boring and totally disappointing. The worse thing in the movie is Coppola being with others great directors. The 70's was a terrific time to Francis Ford and his classic pictures that gonna be unforgettable in cinema history, but all change in 80's and this status of master stay really weak. One of this disasters is the short film Life Without Zoe in New York Stories, and what make the movie be not very good. Scorsese and Allen save the picture... but not enough.
June 9, 2007
None of these stories are really BAD per se; just really badly filmed and very nineties lighting. Woody Allen's segment was okay funny, Scorsese's thing was confusing but watchable, Coppola's...I don't even want to talk about it. I'll pretend it didn't happen. There is seriously something wrong with the technique with which these shorts were made. Did they hire worse people to do the camerawork because they weren't given enough money?
½ June 5, 2007
One again everything Sofia Coppola touches turns to shit. Tucked in between Scorsese's comment on art and Allen's delightful matriphobia comedy is Coppola's big floating turd of a short.
January 26, 2008
Scorcese's is priceless. I didn't even watch the other two.
June 1, 2007
Scorsese's segment is the best, great story, cinematography and acting. Allen's one is pretty charming and funny, but Coppola knocks down the show with a worthless piece of childish crap.
½ October 17, 2006
Not being a Woody Allen fan, this movie wasn't all that bad. It kept my interest all the way through and that is a miracle in itself.
August 13, 2007
An anthology of three stories set in New York.

#1 - Life Lessons - Nick Nolte is a famouse but crazy painter having love life problems. Fun and interesting to watch. Patricia Arquette does a wonderful job.

#2 - Life Without Zoe - A girl and her friends have an adventurous birthday party in her huge apartment building. The kids have great fun living the good life.

3 - Oedipus Wrecks - Woody Allen is tormented by his mother, who hovers above him. Silly and typical Woody Allen stuff. Boo.
June 1, 2007
worth it for the Scorsese segment alone, a small masterpiece
nuheart
December 26, 2006
This is a hard one to rate because I didn't like Coppola or Allen's segments so much, but I loved Scorsese's. Therefore, this rating is four stars for Scorsese, minus 1/2 each for Coppola and Allen.
½ January 30, 2012
This film really seemed to open up the concept of the combo film: having a bunch of film makers produce shorts on a common topic to make a memorable whole. Unlike successes like Paris Je t'Aime however, this one has too many rubbishy pieces to the whole.
½ July 25, 2012
Starts out strong with Scorcese directing the tale of an obsessive artist - played to perfection by Nolte.

Then we have some boring, meaningless mush from Coppola.

And we finish with Woody Allen on form in a tale that could be called "Mother Knows Best".
Critique Threatt
April 13, 2010
New York Stories is a fun picture mad up into three stories directed by three directors. Martin Scorsese directs Life Lessons, Francis Ford Coppola directs Life with Zoe, and Woody Allen directs Odipus Wrecks. Each one is unique but sadly the let down is with Coppola's piece Life With Zoe. Scorsese's version is the best based on Dostoyevsky's The Gambler and Allen's Odipus Wrecks is funny and sometimes weird. Overall I would recommend this picture.
March 4, 2008
I loved Scorsese's (I wonder if I'd find it a little pretentious now?) and Allen's films, but boy was Coppola's ever tough going. Still, two outta three ain't bad (thank you Meatloaf for your words of wisdom).
January 25, 2008
Marty's Life Lesson's is a five star film,but Woody's is OK and Coppala's is a waste of film!
March 29, 2015
3 gr8 American directors stitch together this com-dram reminded me of 'three rooms' 5/21/15: just rewatched and all 3 of these mini NY stories are gr8 cant decside which I liked best.
February 1, 2008
Here's three iconic filmmakers presenting three different tales set in the Big Apple, those filmmakers being Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola (his being the weakest) and Woody Allen. All fantastic, I am especially a fan of Allen, whose 'Oedipus Wrecks' is my favorite of the Gotham-set vignettes (it has Allen as a man whose hard-nosed Jewish mother literally disappears during a magic act only to reappear in the sky for all to see, it stands as one of his funniest). A most under-appreciated tale is Scorsese's 'Life Lessons', starring Nick Nolte (terrifically understated) as a painter obsessing over his assistant (Rosanna Arquette). Nolte is remarkably gruff, and Scorsese is clearly having a ball, blasting the 60's tunes to eleven. Short, but oh so sweet.
June 7, 2012
Any movie with completely different short stories shoved together is never going to be 100% great. They are almost always a mixed bag. "New York Stories" features three films from three acclaimed directors, all with stores based in New York. New York itself doesn't really play all that important a part in any of the stories. Scorsese's "Life Lessons" is a decent short film, but it isn't something I'd rate amongst the guys best works. Coppola's "Life Without Zoe" is often regarded as the worst segment...and it is. It has terrible acting(fronted by a terrible child actress), and a story that is hard to sit through...you can't relate to any of it in any way. Woody Allen's "Oedipus Wrecks" is the final segment, and it is very Woody Allen. Filled with his neurotic sense of humor. He plays the same character he always plays, a neurotic New Yorker, this time a man who is tortured by his mother and her behavior. It is, like Scorsese's entry, decent...but don't expect it to be anything too special. So you may enjoy the films from Scorsese or Allen, but the Coppola film is just as bad as everyone claims (luckily it is also the shortest segment). Mixed bag, but probably worth a look for fans of their directors behind this...maybe not Coppola fans.
June 27, 2009
Three great directors, two great films and one turkey. Martin Scorsese?s ?Life Lessons? comes off best, with Nick Nolte giving a powerful performance. Woody Allen?s ?Oedipus Wrecks? is funny and has a stand out performance from Mae Questal. ?Life Without Zoe? is a disaster, a silly concoction from Francis Ford Coppola. So, it's a mixed bag, but I enjoyed it for the most part.
½ June 3, 2007
Three separate vignettes. The first one wasn't great, the second one was total crap, and the third one was Woody-Allen-stupid, but interesting at least. Not a must-see, despite the combination of directors.
February 12, 2008
The reason you want to see this is the first story with Nick Nolte. It's incredible the others are either soso or bad.