—— The Identical Sep 05

LOL!
nelsonpickens
nelsonpickens

May 26, 2010
An extremely odd and bizarre musical that still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Why Christian Bale was in this is beyond me.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 26, 2007
really the last good musical before a huge death period for musicals in hollywood. great dancing and fun.
Martin B

July 13, 2008
Believe it or not, I'm actually a fan of modern movie musicals. But I had never seen this one, and only finally caved out of sheer curiosity to see Christian Bale sing and dance. Boy am I glad I did.

Watching Bale was every bit as hilarious as I expected it to be. No wonder he's a bit embarrassed by this (in his defense, he signed on before it was changed to a musical, and was none too happy about it). Though he doesn't need to be. Even in something this silly, his acting talent really showed. The movie itself? Wasn't horrible, but probably isn't anything I'll ever watch again either. (and hey, I recognized at least 3 kids that went on to be on Hull High!)
Michael S

June 9, 2007
I really enjoyed it.
Jason S

October 5, 2007
A good musical. It's a good movie and I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.
puffchunk
puffchunk

January 25, 2007
Cheesy feel good movie, but I love it. love the dance and music and story.
Cinema-Maniac
Cinema-Maniac

August 6, 2014
On the surface "Newsies" has my attention being based around true events that are usually ignored and starring a young Christian Bale. While the material doesn't sound riveting Bale is more than capable in providing a compelling performance to carry the film. However, upon discovery it was a Disney live action musical it turned into a worst case scenario that instead of subverting expectation it plays into them. Creating one noisy mess of a film that could have worked for both it actors and the story if it knew to be a drama or musical instead of sloppily meshing the two together.

Newsies is a musical based a true story about the New York City newsboy strike of 1899. Immediately the film begins to crack opening with a poorly written and constructed song about working (oh come on, that lazy Disney formula). Now I'll accept back in 1899 New York City "Newsies" sang on a daily basis on just about anything, ten years old were allowed to hang out in pubs and drink the night away, and I'll even buy Joseph Pulitzer plan to make more money will obviously not work if it all leads to something compelling. It never amounts to much because of the Disneyfication of a film that clearly was meant to be a drama is tailored into an indispensable, uninspired mess. Missing is coherency in its narrative structure to support dialogue dramatics and the musical numbers. Pacing is erratic sometime going for long stretches without a musical number to having too many songs pile up on each other. The quiet moments of the film are filled with indispensable cliches. From the cast of heroes there's a newsboy on crutches, the little kid, the rebellious hero going against the establishment, and of course the hero's best pal that warms up to him, who has a pretty sister. Not to forget the one dimensional villains whose only defining traits are to make money or pick on children. There's nothing wrong with simple morality, but when the characters themselves acknowledge how stupid they act it begs to question what is actually consider morally good by this film standard. Our protagonist, Jack Kelly, lies for a living to make money to not starve to death. A trait that is meant to earn the audience sympathy, but Joseph Pulitzer who makes a honest living selling newspaper and gave kids jobs barely scraping by with their wages in the first place is perceived to be bad. Since Pulitzer is the standard villain who hates people and motivated by money his action have a predictable outcome to the conflict. On both sides you have characters whose action are supported with a weak body of characterization to take them seriously.

In middle of the erratic pacing and cliches it calls characters are the plotlines simultaneously having too much with little breathing room and stretched out beyond repair. Token supporting characters drop in and out at a moment notice. For example, Jack Kelly visit his best sister house falling in love with his best pal sister. All that was needed for Jack Kelly heart to be taken away with his significant other wasn't the growth of their relationship, learning about each other, but occasionally gazing at each other in one scene and they know it's meant to be. It doesn't matter that Jack Kelly shares more scenes with a older man another supporting character than he does with his own love interest. Jack Kelly also has his own arc to overcome which is too kinda organize the Newsies to strike. A job later handle to another character temporarily which goes to display the lack of importance of their position. None of the characters feel important to in fighting for their cause. Every one of them feels disposable and interchangeable with one another. Weak characters, scatter plot lines, erratic, and some badly written musical numbers can create a noisy snooze fest of a film. Top it all off, the motivation to start the strike is thrown away at the climax as if to say I give up.

If judged as a Disney musical it's PREDICTABLE! Anyone not familiar with the "Disney" formula here's how Disney lazy efforts usually play out; It opens with a choral arrangement preferably a work song (Carrying the Banner), characters grow up in a montage over the span of a single song, dead or absent parents that occurs quickly or off screen and probably in a montage with no dialogue or brief mention, a "I want" song sung by the protagonist (Santa Fe), and the gilded cage: you're trapped in this place, probably for your own safety. For me the film did no favor playing it safe by the book. Not one element or plot device used made a difference in how it all played out. In particular the dragged out ending which is similar to "We Are the Champions" by Queens if it only bragged for seven minutes repeating "No times for loser cause we are the champions". The ending is similar to that minus the musical talents of Queens being replaced by off key singers by non professional young stars and poor musical composition, and sound arrangement from the adults putting it together. It should be noted that once a musical number ends the character act back to normal like nothing happened every time making even less sense when seeing our protagonist dance in the middle of the street despite wholeheartedly singing about his past struggles to reach his dream. Like the characters, it best to pretend choreographed musical numbers and songs never happened.

Christian Bale delivers a good performance. When not requiring to sing Bale brings some likability to Jack Kelly. Charming one moment and alienating the next swiftly conveying his character personal turmoil. He's the only actor who manages to overcome the annoying New York accent making it a part of his character unlike the rest of the young cast where it's a nuisance to listen too. Singing on the other hand Bale voice cracks going for the high notes. However, his crack voice works for his solo number "Santa Fe" showing off some good dancing skills. Bill Pullman is meh in his role, though among the most tolerable not having that New York accent to handicap him. Robert Duvall plays Joseph Pulitzer not making much of an impression. Duvall has little screen time and even less of a personality given the character he has to portray. At best Duvall is one note, though given how standard the role is written in this film there's no way he would have pulled off anything interesting unless it was meant to be intentionally cheesy. The supporting cast has some interesting names from David Moscow, Luke Edwards, Trey Parker, Josh Keaton, and number of others that get tossed to the sideline. Their performances are average unable to deliver the more heavy side of the material with any emotion. Some of them are better singers than Christian Bale, but unlike Bale,when the supporting cast speak in their New York accent it can get annoying. Despite a good performance by Christian Bale the film is miscast. The characters we follow are meant to be children, but all have the appearances of teenagers going against the concept. As for the music it ranges from where the mute button like "Carrying the Banner", to well that just happen song like "King of New York", and finally to that was surprisingly good like "The World Will Know". Hopefully among the few songs made for the film you'll find one you'll like because it'll reuses some of them twice and about five of those musical numbers are performed on the same set despite having of a number of sets that perfectly captures its era. Dancing choreography while well performed, much in vein of the story is uninspired.

Newsies on the surface for me had the ingredients to hold my interest, but once Disney got involved attempting to mesh drama and musical together poorly it became tedious. Anyone who knows the Disney musical formula will find no surprises in this repetitive film that takes no risk nor executed in the manner to make it enjoyable. Even if the plot does interest you the characters are one dimensional cliche and so are the standard villains. Plotlines aren't developed to support itself without a musical number to liven things up. The music is limited and generally badly sung while the drama side of the story tread familiar waters like it a commitment to the end. All in all, Disney tried something different, but at the same time it was afraid to do anything different ending up with a film with the worst qualities of the studio present for two noisy hours of boredom.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

August 23, 2011
Read all about it! Read all about it! "Disney" is unbearably cheesy! World in shock! Man, the only thing more annoying than sarcasm is "Disney". Now, that's doesn't mean that this film is bad, but it is certainly damaged by its being so blasted "Disney". It's bad enough that this is cheesy, but it's cheesy in a way that we've seen before.

The storyline is both concieved and told in a way that hardly drifts from the traditional "Disney" film. Okay, so the tone is different by a little bit. Of course, that's another flaw, as the tone is just different enough for the cheesy score and forced, overdrawn and musical numbers - which are also too similar to fellow "Disney" films - to not fit. Getting to other flaws, a lot of the acting is really, really bad. Don't worry Christian Bale fans, your man manages to work around that, as we'll discuss later, but most everyone else is embarassing. Really, when you think about it, the film's real problem is that it's just so animated and for it to be in live-action, it makes all of the cartoony themes that work in "Disney's" animated universe, fall flat and not fit.

Outside of being cheesy and overly "Disney", the film is pretty slow and will often fail to hold your interest, but it's not tedious, because there's still plenty to get you back into the film, such as the cinematography and production designs. The designs in this film are excellent, really capturing the period, but still being very dazzling and fun to watch, mostly because it's captured so well by the cinematography. Also, as overdrawn, forced and overly "Disney" as the musical numbers are, that doesn't mean that they're not very entertaining, being well-choregraphed, fairly well-sung and overall very well-directed. Of course, with the guy who was behind the moves in "Dirty Dancing" directing, what can you expect? I mean, it's a bit embarassing to see the great Christian Bale having singing and dance solos, but it's still pretty fun, regardless. Come to think of it, Batman might not be the best thing to evoke, because not matter how cheesy as this film is, it's almost infinitely less cheesy than any line in "Batman Begins". Speaking of Christian Bale, he also keeps the film going, not just because he can sure bust a move, but because he's still got that charm and charisma to carry the film and keep it rather interesting, because his character, generic though, he may be, is so interesting.

In the end, in spite of its slowness and being too "Disney", "Newsies", carried by its excellent production value, fun musical sequences and charismatic lead performance by Christian Bale, remains a dazzling-looking and rather charming little number.
Marcus W

June 7, 2008
Back before Christian Bale became Batman, he used to sing and dance in crappy Disney movies.
Sunil J

October 20, 2010
Ugh. Something about this movie always bugged me. Maybe it was just too campy.
Marion R

June 9, 2007
I thought this was a good musical. The songs were good and unforced. Upside Christian Bale! Downside you have to hear Bill Pullman sing...
April 7, 2014
Probably as a teenage girl, I would have loved all the gyrating boys. As an adult watching, it felt kindof dirty. The only two things Newsies has going for it are a now famous young cast, and some nicely choreographed dance numbers. The songs aren't particularly catchy, and the singing isn't that great either. As a plot, Newsies is pretty damn dull and overly sentimental. It's Disney at its worst.
January 9, 2011
Screw the critics, this movie is fantastic! I've seen it countless times and will never get tired of it. The music is fun, the story is great, and the acting is wonderful. There's nothing about this movie that I would change.
May 28, 2012
A young Christian Bale singing and dancing is always something to see. Though, based on a true story it is more about the music than the story. The songs are actually great and the kids dance their butts off. The movie drags a bit, but as a Disney musical, it's decent.

Grade: B+
January 16, 2012
try as it might, this movie just doesn't work. it wants so badly to be a blockbuster musical in the vein of Oliver! or Annie, but it isn't. the characters are cliche and uninteresting, the music is pretty forgettable, the choreography is boring and actually feels very forced, and most of all, the tone of the story just isn't musical material. a David-and-Goliath story is one thing, but one about unions? and a violent union at that? a compelling drama in the works, maybe, but certainly not a musical and DEFINITELY not a Disney musical. basically this movie boils down to a lot of sugar-coated mediocrity. hey, at least it's somewhat entertaining.
juliantoepfer
October 1, 2011
Seriously bad. I have to admit I'm pretty biased against musicals, but this has to be at the bottom of even that barrel. Hard to believe Christian Bale became the A list star that he is today after starting out like this.
November 29, 2011
Did you guys really thought it was that bad?
(chair throw)
Okay then, lets move on
I remember watching Newsies in class and oh boy, there was unrest for the next 2 hours. That was high school, so maybe opinion may differ if I see it again, or maybe the hostility may return after a few minutes of singing. I will not trash based on that earlier experience, but I will not say it is any good. Newsies may have cause an American Psycho!
celticwoman0829
February 27, 2011
Newsies is a family movie created for all ages. It is the true story of the 1899 Newspaper Strike against Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hurst.

I recommend this movie to ANYONE. It its a great story with a great cast. The characters are quite lovable, and the soundtrack is legendary.
dcrees
April 20, 2009
Disney?s solution to the estrogen ridden ?Annie?. Chock full of deliciously musical propaganda. As hokey as a musical should be and unabashedly Disney. Formulaic and predictable but always entertaining.