Niagara - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Niagara Reviews

April 15, 2016
tables turned on a cheating wife as her scheme backfires, nicely played out.
½ April 8, 2016
Some dirt and double dealings at one of Nature's most celebrated outdoor showers. Done in that hyper-pristine Hollywood Technicolor that was the style, Joe Cotton and Marilyn Monroe ruminate on the dark interpersonal of interpersonal relationships. What's notable is watching Marilyn: it is obvious that she is stretching herself, akin to watching your own child take their first steps.
February 26, 2016
a good movie with film noir elements filmed in colour but whould have been better in black and white.
½ February 15, 2016
The crime is complicated.
January 18, 2015
Logrado thriller con una Mariyn de femme fatale algo que le nace.
November 30, 2014
Marital turmoil, murder, and deception - and a happy couple who are swept into the whirlpool of intrigue. Gorgeous use of Niagara Falls. Nice work contrasting the focal couples, building and releasing tension, and repeatedly drawing the point of view couple (Peters/Showalter) back into the problems, turbulence, and danger of the Monroe/Cotton relationship. Still, not first rate. But worth a look.
½ October 27, 2014
Notable not only for its superb direction, but also for the staggering beauty of the technicolor as well as leading ladies Monroe and Peters.
October 16, 2014
An excellent and suspenseful marriage of vengeance that would have made Hitchcock proud. Marilyn Monroe and Joseph Cotton really shine in these quite different roles for them, and Jean Peters and Casey Adams as the unfortunate Cutlers caught in between them. Recommended either for fans of suspense flicks or for those who adore the two ill-advised lovers.
September 5, 2014
I agree with the other reviewers who suggest this film is Hitchcock-inspired. Some even say Vertigo was inspired by this. The middle is the best part. Less Marilyn than I expected considering she is top billed. This suspenseful classic benefits from its gorgeous on-location shooting at Niagara Falls.
½ August 6, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Niagara would mark the first film I have seen that features the legendary Marilyn Monroe. I started with Niagara due to it being the earliest film found in my recently purchased Marilyn Monroe box set. I came into this with no expectations as I knew very little of the film beforehand and it is rarely ever found in the best-of Monroe performances lists.

Niagara's core problem is in its focus on George and Rose Loomis, as though they are essential to the film's thrills, they certainly lack the complexity and depth that would make me the audience cares for their personal issues. The film's writers seemed to be more concerned in writing fascinating set pieces rather than fine tuning the internal tension and history of its two leads. If the film didn't spend so much time in its first act, exploring the characters and setting up the film's mysterious atmosphere then this wouldn't have been a major issue and would have allowed the film to elevate its pacing. Thankfully, the film's supporting roles were handled with more effort and coming off more interesting than the film's two leads. I would have been satisfied if the film instead revolved around them and view the primary couple in their point of view.

When the film's plot started to roll, it started to change its atmosphere and play out like a typical Hitchcock film. I am not sure whether or not director, Henry Hathaway, was attempting to pay homage or compete with the director, but nevertheless the thrills he produced were effective enough to rival some of the Master of Suspense's best scenes. If one doesn't feel even the slightest sensation during the film's climax, then someone has seen too many thriller/action films. It is just a shame that the film couldn't back these scenes up with interesting characters and a sense of purpose or connection to the film's setting.

Marilyn Monroe's performance in Niagara is far from being great as many of the film's dialogue exchanges, she came across as campy but fortunately her performance was tolerable enough that the film suffered at a minor level. I was disappointed with Joseph Cotten's performance as I have already seen a couple of his key films and he provided the audience in this film with an indolent presentation. Jean Peters was the film's acting highlight as there is this quality in her performance that allows me to show care for her character's personal issues.

Niagara is an average thriller that lacks in characterisation and slightly below average performances from its actors. The film makes up for it though with thrilling set pieces that had me shaking for a couple of moments.
½ August 4, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

June 4, 2014
Expecting a Hitchcockian thriller/film noir I was ever so disappointed in this, which was nothing of the sort.
It does feature a smoking Monroe performance and ample proof that she's one of the great Hollywood sexpots as a manipulative wife who drives her husband towards the brink of insanity while they're holidaying beside Niagara Falls.
All the performances are fantastic, I just expected something different.
May 14, 2014
The story is interesting, but I don't think Monroe is that great of an actress.
March 13, 2014
Meh not a great classic for me. Marilyn Monroe is smokin and Jean Peters is good but the rest of them couldnt act their way out of a packet of crisps. Casey Adams is terrible as is Joseph Cotten. Still tho its a good enough watch and looks good. I didnt think it was worthy of the high ratings it has on here but I had a deaf person in the corner of my TV screen signing and mouthing the whole fucking movie out so she may have tainted my rating somewhat.
July 8, 2007
I don't remember this at all.
August 4, 2013
Recently remastered and released on Blu-ray disc, we get a splendid look at the falls and environs in the early fifties - and an exiting climax. Jean Peters outshines her more celebrated co-stars.

As with all of Monroe's films, "Niagara" features one of Lionel Newman's many wonderful scores.
August 9, 2013
Very good color noir with exceptional Joseph Cotton performance and of course with sweetheart Marilyn.
½ June 30, 2013
Brilliant director, stellar cast, so how can this movie be such a dud? There's no movie in this movie. One simply waits for Monroe to re-appear on the screen. She is the only thing in this film with any life or vitality. This is a great example of what a real star can do to make a film watchable. Unfortunately, she's not it enough to save NIAGARA. Not worth seeing except to see a true star in action.
May 31, 2013