Niagara Reviews

January 18, 2015
Logrado thriller con una Mariyn de femme fatale algo que le nace.
November 30, 2014
Marital turmoil, murder, and deception - and a happy couple who are swept into the whirlpool of intrigue. Gorgeous use of Niagara Falls. Nice work contrasting the focal couples, building and releasing tension, and repeatedly drawing the point of view couple (Peters/Showalter) back into the problems, turbulence, and danger of the Monroe/Cotton relationship. Still, not first rate. But worth a look.
½ October 27, 2014
Notable not only for its superb direction, but also for the staggering beauty of the technicolor as well as leading ladies Monroe and Peters.
October 16, 2014
An excellent and suspenseful marriage of vengeance that would have made Hitchcock proud. Marilyn Monroe and Joseph Cotton really shine in these quite different roles for them, and Jean Peters and Casey Adams as the unfortunate Cutlers caught in between them. Recommended either for fans of suspense flicks or for those who adore the two ill-advised lovers.
September 5, 2014
I agree with the other reviewers who suggest this film is Hitchcock-inspired. Some even say Vertigo was inspired by this. The middle is the best part. Less Marilyn than I expected considering she is top billed. This suspenseful classic benefits from its gorgeous on-location shooting at Niagara Falls.
½ August 4, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Niagara would mark the first film I have seen that features the legendary Marilyn Monroe. I started with Niagara due to it being the earliest film found in my recently purchased Marilyn Monroe box set. I came into this with no expectations as I knew very little of the film beforehand and it is rarely ever found in the best-of Monroe performances lists.

Niagara's core problem is in its focus on George and Rose Loomis, as though they are essential to the film's thrills, they certainly lack the complexity and depth that would make me the audience cares for their personal issues. The film's writers seemed to be more concerned in writing fascinating set pieces rather than fine tuning the internal tension and history of its two leads. If the film didn't spend so much time in its first act, exploring the characters and setting up the film's mysterious atmosphere then this wouldn't have been a major issue and would have allowed the film to elevate its pacing. Thankfully, the film's supporting roles were handled with more effort and coming off more interesting than the film's two leads. I would have been satisfied if the film instead revolved around them and view the primary couple in their point of view.

When the film's plot started to roll, it started to change its atmosphere and play out like a typical Hitchcock film. I am not sure whether or not director, Henry Hathaway, was attempting to pay homage or compete with the director, but nevertheless the thrills he produced were effective enough to rival some of the Master of Suspense's best scenes. If one doesn't feel even the slightest sensation during the film's climax, then someone has seen too many thriller/action films. It is just a shame that the film couldn't back these scenes up with interesting characters and a sense of purpose or connection to the film's setting.

Marilyn Monroe's performance in Niagara is far from being great as many of the film's dialogue exchanges, she came across as campy but fortunately her performance was tolerable enough that the film suffered at a minor level. I was disappointed with Joseph Cotten's performance as I have already seen a couple of his key films and he provided the audience in this film with an indolent presentation. Jean Peters was the film's acting highlight as there is this quality in her performance that allows me to show care for her character's personal issues.

Niagara is an average thriller that lacks in characterisation and slightly below average performances from its actors. The film makes up for it though with thrilling set pieces that had me shaking for a couple of moments.
March 13, 2014
Meh not a great classic for me. Marilyn Monroe is smokin and Jean Peters is good but the rest of them couldnt act their way out of a packet of crisps. Casey Adams is terrible as is Joseph Cotten. Still tho its a good enough watch and looks good. I didnt think it was worthy of the high ratings it has on here but I had a deaf person in the corner of my TV screen signing and mouthing the whole fucking movie out so she may have tainted my rating somewhat.
July 8, 2007
I don't remember this at all.
August 4, 2013
Recently remastered and released on Blu-ray disc, we get a splendid look at the falls and environs in the early fifties - and an exiting climax. Jean Peters outshines her more celebrated co-stars.

As with all of Monroe's films, "Niagara" features one of Lionel Newman's many wonderful scores.
August 9, 2013
Very good color noir with exceptional Joseph Cotton performance and of course with sweetheart Marilyn.
½ June 30, 2013
Brilliant director, stellar cast, so how can this movie be such a dud? There's no movie in this movie. One simply waits for Monroe to re-appear on the screen. She is the only thing in this film with any life or vitality. This is a great example of what a real star can do to make a film watchable. Unfortunately, she's not it enough to save NIAGARA. Not worth seeing except to see a true star in action.
May 31, 2013
One Of My Fav Monroe Moves I Love It So Much
August 25, 2007
Noir thriller that doesn't quite fulfil its promise. However it is beautifully photographed, with great performances from Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters and an iconic Marilyn Monroe as the femme fatale.
bbcfloridabound
½ April 9, 2013
The look and atmosphere in this film is so vivid that even viewed on TV it makes you feel as if you have been to Niagara Falls sometime in the early 1950s. The plot takes a deceptively leisurely pace but it builds to a gripping climax. It is worth the viewer's time & effort to stick with it to the end. Marilyn Monroe is radiantly treacherous & her performance is subtle and bears close watching beyond her obvious attractiveness. She should get a lot more credit for this picture than I've seen others give her. Joseph Cotten balances between being menacing & getting our pity & sympathy. Not all the performances are terrific but this movie is a gem that rewards the effort to stick with it to the end. 4 1/2 Stars 4 -8-13
January 30, 2013
Mr. Loomis, the wronged man.
January 25, 2013
Two forces of nature - Marilyn and Niagara Falls--Color, gleaming surfaces, dark interiors!!
½ December 30, 2012
Beauty abounds in "Niagara," a 1953 film starring Marilyn Monroe, Joseph Cotten, and Jean Peters. There's the beauty and power of Niagara Falls, spectacularly displayed throughout the movie, and the beauty of Marilyn Monroe, who is gorgeous in Technicolor. Monroe is the unhappy wife of the unstable George Loomis, played by an appropriately seedy Joseph Cotten. It's not clear whether or not Marilyn drove him to his present state, but he's wound pretty tight. Monroe and her lover plan George's demise via the falls. Jean Peters and Max Showalter are a vacationing couple who become more involved than they want to, Peters bearing the acting burden of the film. The casting is great (although the Peters role originally was supposed to go to Anne Baxter). Peters' wholesome prettiness is in sharp contrast to Monroe's va-va-va-voom.

Having grown up near the Falls, it was both interesting and enjoyable to see them featured. And, as we all know who've been there, the Canadian side, where this movie was filmed, is far more beautiful. Given today's security problems, I loved the scene where Monroe intended to walk across to the American side to avoid being questioned while in a car.

I've seen candid photos of Marilyn Monroe taken around the time of filming, and she was surely at the peak of her beauty and sensuality. Though I've always felt her very careful enunciation detracted from her dramatic acting, she's very good as the cheating wife. It's funny to read occasionally that the physical standard of beauty is thinner today - her figure, like the rest of her, is fabulous, shown off in a variety of clothing by Dorothy Jeakins, who was a prominent costumer on Broadway and in film.

There's really not much to the story of "Niagara." It's a standard tale of love, betrayal, and murder set against a magnificent backdrop and given spark by spirited performances. Well worth seeing.
November 19, 2012
The part that made Marylin a star.
It can only raise a question: Why not cast her in other femme fatale parts? She was simply perfect in it.

This movie is the proof that studios made a big mistake in not casting Marilyn more often as a femme fatale. When you see all the sexiness she carries throughout the movie you understand the obsession of the other characters surrounding her.
It's a very good vehicle and memorable not only for Marilyn but for its other stars who did a pretty good job.
October 15, 2012
Get out the fire hose

A young couple on their honeymoon makes the trip to a hotel overlooking Niagara Falls. Shortly upon arriving they encounter a strange couple. The wife is beautiful, loose in her ways, and appears to want to leave her husband. Her husband is jealous of his wife's loose ways and stalks her every chance he gets. When murder appears to be part of the strange couple's recipe for happiness, the young couple find themselves caught in the middle.

"When we have a fight and make up I never want to leave your side."

Henry Hathaway, director of True Grit, How the West was Won, The Sons of Katie Elder, Shot out, Circus World, and From Hell to Texas, delivers Niagara. The storyline for this picture is very good and impressively intricate (it reminded me of a Hitchcock film with its thriller and murderous feel). The acting is amazing and the cast includes Marilyn Monroe, Joseph Cotton, Jean Peters, and Max Showalter.

"She sure got herself an arm full of groceries."

Niagara was a movie I came across while flicking through Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and loved the premise. Marilyn Monroe was awesome in this role and the entire cast played perfectly off her charisma and unpredictable nature. I loved every second of this film and strongly recommend seeing this gem.

"She's a pretty girl. Why hide it?"

Grade: A