Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist Reviews

½ November 23, 2013
Anything with Ari Graynor is money
July 19, 2009
ive heard enough asian jokes and gay jokes, so the gay asian just annoys me. and also Michael Cera is in a band called the Jerk-offs. In 7th grade im sure i would have loooooved that.
Bathsheba Monk
February 5, 2013
This was a very fun movie. I thought the story was good enough...although I never understood what the slutty girlfriend saw in Nick--she was supposed to be "using" him, but for what? His mix tapes? She threw them away. Although I understood that she wanted him back because he was then interested in Norah and she couldn't have that! Anyway, I think Cera makes a great teenage boy lead, kind of reminds me of John Cusak: they are both good looking enough, nice guys etc. the kind of boys you wish your daughter would find and manage to keep. Anyway, nice diversion on a snowy night.
½ February 4, 2013
Strange... I've seen this movie a couple of times at least, and never rated. It is a little weird, but very watchable.
movieguru12
February 2, 2009
Very charming movie. Kat Dennings is beautiful as always and Michael Cera again continues to show his funny side. Just an adorable movie! Love it! :)
½ June 2, 2011
A modern fairytale romance told in the far away land of the NewYork indie music scene.

It never breaks new ground in any field of film making even for its genre but all in all the love story between these two is just a thing of beauty and that's largely in part to its careful execution.

It's a little refreshing from Apatow's in-your-face raunchy and verbally excessive sex talk, NNIP is relatively more subtle in its drama and humor, something young people just need to appreciate and this film ultimately excels at.
April 5, 2011
You know something went wrong when you root for the villain, in this case the beautifully evil ex-girlfriend. Michael Cera's performance is the only reason anyone should watch this unfunny teen dramedy. Things start to add up, and then you are very disappointed. Oh well. Forgettable.
½ March 21, 2009
It's an alternative romance... cute in many ways and weird in many others. Really enjoyed it.
October 1, 2010
Michael Cera plays the same character as he always does, but also as always, pulls off a great character. He never fails, along side of Kat Dennings who is also quite good in this hilarious rip off of teen comedies. It's not a fantastic film or anything, but I laugh in almost every scene!
July 23, 2010
B
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ February 11, 2008
I must say that 'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist' is different from the other teenage movie which is usually tells about popular kids vs retard kids, or some sports game with cheer leading on it, this is different... The story started with a broken-hearted Nick who's been cheated by his girlfriend Tris, until he accidentally met Norah and pretending to be her boyfriend for 5 minutes in front of Tris... Then the story goes with the relationship between Nick and Norah that gets closer on that long night and how they deal with their feelings each other after they both met their ex... Michael Cera gave a good performance, and I love it better than his performance in Juno, while Kat Dennings gave a lovely performance, and successfully stole my heart with her beauty... Overall, it's a worth-to-watch teenage movie that you all shouldn't miss... The music was nice, and the story wasn't bad... I kinda like it...
YodaMasterJedi
½ August 16, 2009
Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist The story revolves around one night, which is somewhat uncommon in movies. We travel from early night, to early morning with characters Nick and Nora, no last name simply just Nick and Nora. Recently dumped Nick, deals with the heartache of unrequited love. Witty Nora intercedes in Nicks life by bluntly making out with him. Little was it known to either character that Nick was the mystery man making the lot of mixed CD's that fed Nora's musical soul. Rendezvousing with the excitement of New York City night life, two teenagers deal with ex's, scavenger for a drunken miscreant, ache to find the momentous band 'Where's Fluffy?', share a questionable piece of bubblegum, and trek with their new tumultuous relationship.

This movie was strictly comedic. No logical thought was needed to view this movie. In the exact opposite, intellect would probably hinder the movie viewers enjoyment of this seeming less silly tale. Mostly filled with dumb jokes, I was pleasantly satisfied not to hear a single fart joke or see a single bare bottom; as most teen comedy movies do searching for the pitiful laughter of the dim adolescent mind. I did think that the queer band mates, as sinfully hilarious as they were, was borderline pathetic. So to anyone searching for a deeper meaning I caution to stay away.

Overall, I believed it to be a horrendous knock off of American Graffiti. Although both Nick and Nora were college bound appearing to be in the same ball park as 'AG' it was closer, stylistically, to American Pie. Of course they should not, and in this piece, will not be judged by the same standards considering that one movie was proposed to share the story of a generation, whilst the other was a mechanism of comedic relief.

To get more personally into depth about the cast selection, it was mainly typed cast. Michael Cera will always play the dorky cute guy that be by the name of Paulie Bleaker or Nick. Kat Dennings forever stands as the misunderstood hottie of our generation. The rest of the cast would be labeled as 'new Hollywood' seeing as to how none of them stared in anything remotely profound for the general audience to take notice. This will not be a breakout role for any of the stars of the movie. It would see clear that not Michael nor Kat took this movie thinking "I smell an Oscar nomination!" The traveling gum is what really stuck out to me. I kept pondering what that disgusting chewed objects purpose was in the movie. It is preposterous to think that writers would show close ups without it being significant. So I thought of every feasible theme that gum could hold. Representation of both characters in a impossible to eradicate world? Played-out views of love, easily transmitted from person to person? The real location of 'Where's Fluffy?' At the end of an hour and a half's time, I found that no such theme existed. All some form of cosmic joke to those of us who enjoy elegantly crafted innuendo. Like I said before do not come to the theaters wishful of bringing anything out of that movie more than a smile on your face.

The greener grass was easily the conversational lines transferred over the night. Personal favorites of mine consisted of "I love you so much, its retarded", "wake up, bitch!", "you don't need to yell. It's not in a train station. It's a tiny little car" and "do you think the worlds ready for fire Jews?" These new lines will be posted up on blog walls and myspace pages soon.

Most of the scenes I thought were appropriate. However, was the scene in the recording studio necessary? Towards the beginning of the movie, discussion was held about the beautiful magnitude of holding hands. Yet later in the movie Nick and Nora have sex proving that holding hands is not the greatest attribute of a relationship. What is with the condescending sex scene? For me to believe that this relationship would be one full of love and long term happiness would mean to take things slow. The fact that they had sex knowing each other for less than twenty four hours proves their relationship to be more of a sprint. They narrow down the reasoning to be that they were 'musical soul mates.' Yes that's spreading a good message to young America.

A few seconds were incoherent because the laughter from the audience was held a bit longer than the length of the joke. The man sitting directly across from me was at the edge of his seat for a good majority of the movie. Give it an 'aye' ? This movie is a must see. Must see in theaters? No. More like must see in general. At some point of your life, maybe a schedule free night, this movie might enter your life. At the end of the movie I exited nine dollars and fifty cents poorer. Was it all worth it? Given the choice of two Starbucks coffees or a ticket to Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist I chose the legal caffeine stimulants. Only one thought can describe this movie, join the ride.
FiLmCrAzY
February 15, 2009
i loved it!!
i love the cast i love the storyloine, i love the acting, i love the music, i love humour and i just love this movie!!

its entertaining, funny and really worth a watch that i enjoyed every minute of this movie!
its really cute romance story with minor flaws that you can look past!! really worth a watch!
The Gandiman
January 30, 2010
Aimlessly uninteresting and uninspired.
TomBowler
August 2, 2009
Before I begin this review, I would just like to say that I am a huge fan of Michael Cera's and am very biased towards him, which is why this will probably spend a lot of TLC on him, more so than that chick who's in it.

I saw the trailer for this at Blockbuster and I was iffy. Even though after his portrayal of George Michael in Arrested Development (best tv show EVER!) I have been a massive fan of his work (Juno in particular), I was unconvinced. There didn't seem to be enough there to make a movie, much less a storyline. However, the film proved me wrong. Ish.

It's difficult to explain. Even though the film is not a character piece, not by a long shot, the film certainly behaves like one. Albeit a very condensed one. All the action takes place in a very short period of time and ends almost too early. Whilst in other films, this would be a big problem, as the characters would be irrelevant to the audience and the film itself would be unnecessary, the fact that the two central characters are the focus of the film, with very few distractions, means that we make a very real connection with them throughout the course of the film. This is not to say that the film becomes all soppy and boring by focussing on the confusing relationship between the two leads. Indeed, there is a very interesting sub plot in action at the time, with the drunken escapades of Norah's best friend leading to a veritable honeypot of laughs, and gross outs (gum anyone?). The secondary characters are also well developed, even though they are barely squeezed into the tiny running time. And the love story itself is never boring. Never. It is filled with the thrills of meeting someone for the first time; finding out that they have a sense of humour, that they play guitar, their history, and the two portray it perfectly, in particular Michael Cera, who is note perfect throughout the film. Kat Dennings, too, is fantastic, a great find for a new generation of film. She plays Norah with utmost precision, not coming off as overly needy and never relying on the "rich daddy/outcast" condition for direction. She is a true talent and I'm sure she'll go on to do even greater things. The script is very original, almost Diablo Cody-esque in its understanding of popular culture. The unecessary finding Fluffy side story is the only qualm that I have with the film, apart from the fact that I wish that it could have gone for longer. Aside from these, it is a beautiful, funny and heart warming story of young love and finding yourself. Great flick.

Defining Scene:
The moment that Nick FINALLY chooses Norah. Took him long enough. That Tris chick isn't even all that hot, I'd choose Norah any day.
November 18, 2009
Just not all that memorable and corny. It was an excuse to put in a bunch of "in" music and style, but it's just a dated mess. The characters are annoying, stereotypical and lame. Michael Cera and Kat Dennings were bland and I didn't really feel any sort of connection between the two.
½ September 29, 2008
While I probably wouldn't watch it a bunch bunch more times, I would qualify this as a "good" teen movie. It keeps in spirit with the juvenile quality of the book while maintaining a surprising amount of teen emotion. I can identify, somehow. A plot that is oversimplistic, not very good music, and no overwhelming chemistry don't detract that much from the movie, because the thing isn't really about Nick and Norah - it's about us.
deano
½ October 14, 2008
Fantastic teen comedy-drama like John Hughes' 80 teen flicks and fun music. It's a cute if overly hip story, and Michael Cera and Kat Dennings are a likable pair; his comic timing is well tuned, and with her wide-eyed vulnerability hidden under a veneer of slacker cool, she makes an endearing leading lady. Nick and Norah's romance is handled delicately, and makes for some nice moments, but the supporting players, though entertaining, feel underutilised.
September 25, 2009
Pretty cool movie with a nice soundtrack. Nice relax movie, watching awkward 18 year olds and wishing you were that old again at the end. Like I say, good soundtrack!
½ October 10, 2008
Cute, and enjoyed it, but it did drag in places and wasn't quite what I expected. With a different cast, I think this would have been truly awful.