Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian Reviews

½ September 13, 2015
Night At The Museum: battle of Smithsonian is a rude humorous movie with an even worse dialog and script than the first movie,
I rather keep watching the first one.

My Score Opinion: 27/100
½ January 15, 2016
A little better than the first movie.
½ April 7, 2015
Like the first Night at the Museum, this movie has some clear-to-notice problems, but it's still a lot of fun to watch.The reason I don't love this movie as much as the first one is because when I finished watching it, I just wished there was a lot more to it. More could have been done in this film. Also I wish there were more jokes here, because I don't remember laughing as much in this one as I did while watching the original. Overall, like the first film, Battle of the Smithsonian is a lot of fun, it's funny, imaginative, and of course, very entertaining.
August 19, 2015
Things come to life in the film. But the film itself feels lifeless for a good amount of time.
November 28, 2015
A worthwhile sequel that fits well with all of this trilogy. Fun and enjoyable. Recommended.
October 29, 2015
Should have stopped at one.
½ October 5, 2015
I think these are lovely, magical family movies. The first is good. This one, I thought was better. I'm not sure where I'd rank the third and hopefully last, but I think it's a great conclusion to the story.
August 25, 2015
Kids will enjoy this while the adults get up to go make a sandwich and never come back.
August 20, 2015
You can't critique a movie like this. It was enjoyable I guess.
½ August 10, 2015
With a plot full of endless possibilities, the stunted and hollow derivation of idea is regrettably a reminiscent reprisal of some of history's most notable figures coming back to life running amuck causing chaos and collateral damage.

The horrendous display of tired, immature and incoherent slap-stick is little more than a fiasco of recycled sugar-rush escapism. The incessant battering of juvenile and overzealous cheap-gags is unable to hold the target attention of children, let alone the bored chaperones.

"Sometimes the greatest change brings about an even greater opportunity." Ted Roosevelt.

Super-successful entrepreneur and infomercial pitchman, Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) is miserable and missing his old career. After returning for a nostalgic visit to his former stomping grounds at the Museum of Natural History he is advised that an extensive refurbishment and new fangled interactive holographic displays will take the place of his beloved exhibits.

Unaware of the magical and mysterious nightlife of the miniature dioramas museum curator Dr. McPhee (Ricky Gervais) ships off Larry's former comrades to the Smithsonian for permanent storage. his newfound celebrity status holds no pull for their return.

Unexpectedly that following night whilst Larry is attempting bring his friends back by using his new found celebrity pull, he receives a frantic distress call from call from thimble-sized miniature cowboy Jedididah (Owen Wilson).

Informing him that the crucial Egyptian tablet that gives them life is now awakening the entire contents of the multileveled subterranean underground archives, Larry jumps to rescue his friends for the new threat.

Held captive by the effeminate lisping evil overlord Pharaoh Kahmunrah (Hank Azaria) and his newly animated tyrant allies Napoleon (Alain Chabat) who has a bad case of little man syndrome, Ivan the Terrible (Christopher Guest) who properly translated is "Ivan the Awesome" and Al Capone (Jon Bernthal) still in black and white.

Larry assembles a team of well known historical figures from the sprawling malls vast collection including sassy can-do aviatrix pioneer Amelia Earhart, clueless eccentric General Custer (Bill Hader), the malls marble statue of wise honest Abe and a collection of bobble-headed Albert Einstein's (voiced by Hank Azaria and Eugene Levy respectively).

Will Larry realise the lucrative business enterprise that provided nice suits, a big house, moderate fame are just vain pursuits, and the real point to life is enjoying its simplicity humbly with the people you care for?

Positively attempting to entice children into the amazing world of museums, writing team Robert Ben Grant and Thomas Lennon and returning director Shawn Levy effortlessly toss in a myriad history, art and pop culture.

Factually quibbling the logistical impossibilities Rodin's "The Thinker" is actually in Paris, Grant Wood's "American Gothic" and Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks" are both on display at the Art institute in Chicago, Archie Bunker's chair, Muhammad Ali's boxing robe and Dorothy's ruby slippers are at the National Museum of American History in NY (where the movie starts). I'm quiet positive, if there is a display consisting of a singing trio of Italian cherubs they wouldn't resemble the Jonas Brothers or sing Bee Gee's.

However, there are some wonderfully understated pauses. Momentarily stopping to watch degas' twirling 14 year old dancer as Jeff Koons' Balloon Dog bounces merrily around the galleries. The heroines escaping in the Wright Brothers' plan and Larry's mobile phone working and inspiring a new career for Joey Motorola inside Alfred Eisenstaedt's VJ Day Photo, The Kiss.

Struggling mechanically through the haphazardly clustered and thoughtless lines even the likes of Robin Williams, Ricky Gervais and Steve Coogan are unable to scavenge true laughs upstaged sadly by two face-slapping monkeys and an adventurous squirrel.

The frenetic pedestrian and ultimately pointless made-to-make-big-box-office-bucks sequel simply numbs and dumbs the mind and is destined for that popular dusty niche on the rejects DVD shelf.

Ben Stiller's excruciatingly stilted and disengaged "been there, done that" approach leaves the overblown SNL sketch with a gapping hole larger than the Grand Canyon. No amount of spirited performances or witty banter by underdeveloped supporting actors could salvage this needlessly elaborate excursion.

The Verdict : The sheer fact that this only children's based comedy scheduled for release until Ice Age 3 in July makes it people only choice (personally I recommend going to the DVD shop and getting Jumanji). However, this movie lacks the heart, emotion and comedic timing of its nimbler 2006 predecessor. Even with a galaxy of comedy stars in cameos jokes are strangled, corny, uneasy and sadly bereft of all charm.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 29/05/2009
December 7, 2014
The second entry in the Night At The Museum series has Ben Stiller and the gang at a larger museum and introduces some new characters.
Hank Azaria is the villain in the film and Robin Williams shines again as Teddy Roosevelt.
½ July 5, 2009
"Sun Come Dumb Dumb". This is as good of a sequel that you will ever see, there are some very funny scenes in this one, they add a few new characters this time around but the older characters are kinda on the back burner this time with the exception of a few but overall a very close call to being the best of 2009 so far but it comes up just a little bit short but still very good, see it.
July 18, 2015
Rating: 82%
Although it mostly follows the first installment, Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian still delivers plenty of laughs and a fine performance from Ben Stiller.
July 16, 2015
Much better than the first one. Pretty entertaining.
July 4, 2015
No. Good idea moving the whole "the museum comes alive" thing to the Smithsonian, which gave way to some adult/insider fun of seeing world famous art come to life. And I could tell that my twelve year old was having a blast, but this was just way to silly for me to keep up interest all the way through. Loved that they made Amelia Earhart a major character, though.
May 22, 2009
i was just at this museum, the movie trashed the place
½ February 25, 2010
This movie stinks! It is dumber and doesn't have any of the magic that the first movie had. There shouldn't have been a sequel. (First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ April 30, 2011
Just as it's according to the premise, the concept have grown into a new branch of another top museum and was stretched with more adventurous outgoing and more attempted comedy throughout as most of the new ones were just silly and unfunny. The sequel benefits from its' predecessor's cast, humor and sort of around the IQ being carried, while it also benefits only on the small amount of its added cast, effects and comic. The rest of the sequel's additions didn't actually do much to carry this sequel to be better than the first visit. Although the way it's placed as the trilogy's penultimate chapter does make this worth seeing and something to enjoy like the first film, even if it's less thanks to the silliness. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ June 8, 2015
If you enjoyed this first one, you will probably like this one as well.