Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian Reviews

½ June 21, 2012
I've got a feeling it's gonna be an OK night. Battle of the Smithsonian moves quicker than the first one, since it did not need to establish the "Day=Stationery Exhibits, Night=Living Exhibits" thing they had to do in the first one. After two years, it is revealed that Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) became a successful businessman when his company took off, and he quit the night-guardsman job. He still visits, and on the visit we see him make, the curator (Ricky Gervais) is having the exhibits packed, favoring "interactive" exhibits that are less lively than when they are actually alive. Most of them are shipped off to the Smithsonian, but not before Dexter the monkey steals the magic tablet macguffin, and it gets to the Smithsonian. There, we meet our previous pharaoh's evil brother, Kahmunrah (Hank Azaria actually appearing in person, but we still get good voice-work from him as the Thinker and Einstein), leading to an almost-similar repeat of the first movie. The differences are that it takes place in one night, and features Larry's love interest as Amelia Earhart (Amy Adams) brought to life by... the tablet. It makes sense she may feel crazy when she feels awoken after a long (Nonexistent) sleep, but seriously, how does this stuff work? I know it's a kids movie, but they need to explain how the tablet actually works. Ben Stiller still does well as Larry, only instead of being the big dreamer, he's where he wanted to be at the cost of his old livelihood. There is a larger cast of characters this time, but they are stretched too thin this time, leading to the axis of Napoleon Bonapart, Ivan the Terrible, and Al Capone being mere punchlines compared to Azaria's Kahmunrah, though it is hard to believe a pharaoh would be so eccentric. I also wish to point out that the narrower aspect ratio works for Owen Wilson's Jedidiah, because he and Octavius (Steve Coogan) look more believable where they are in their tiny forms, next to the normal-sized characters. Alan Silvestri does another mystique job with the soundtrack, although he treads like, no new ground. The Battle of the Smithsonian will be the movie no one will think too much about, because it just rehashed the first one with a bigger cast and museum.
April 29, 2015
About the same.... and the same rating.
A fresh rating of 67%
"Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian will keep the kids entertained, as well as the adults, with some slapstick humor (which goes a little overboard) and well executed special effects."
January 19, 2009
Just as good as the original.
June 30, 2011
A very sub-par sequel to a decent childrens film. While having a premise that leads to more comedic ideas and possibilities, it doesn't seem to know how to use any of these new ideas to it's advantage and comes off as stale more than it does fresh and new.
½ December 30, 2008
I'm related to someone who knows someone who was a designer on the set of this movie. She watched Ben Stiller do stand up comedy for the crew! She's also been on the set of Australia, and saw Hugh Jackman's bare butt.
April 2, 2015
Though Amy Adams is a fantastic actress, het character was one of the lowest points for the film. Stiller and co weren't much better.
½ March 21, 2015
The sequel is pretty bad.
March 18, 2015
Not as good as the original, but still decent
May 29, 2009
Larry is now the owner of his company, but has to come to the rescue for his old exhibit friends, which are shipped to the Smithsonian museum's archives apparently for renovation, but probably never to come back, cause Natural history museum has no money. Larry and his son get to the Smithsonian to help his friends and to find new exhibits come to life (sculptures and even paintings). Quite funny pharaoh played by Hank Azaria, who wants to take over the world with his underground army. Finally Larry gets everybody back, sells his company to make an anonymous donations to the museum and gets back to being a night guard.
February 4, 2015
Just like the first one, it's less satisfying.
½ January 13, 2015
While not as organized as the first film, Night At the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian is still a funny and entertaining movie for all ages. The humor for the parents is better, however there is a larger drop off of jokes from adult to child, whereas the first film blended them together better. Here, we see a lot more juvenile jokes that are taken overboard at times.

And I know that the kids don't see the plot holes, but you would think that there wouldn't be so many more in this sequel. The whole movie you find yourself asking question after question for clarification of the character's decisions, but they never end up making sense. While in some films you can find "good enough" answers for many of these questions, this movie will leave you concluding that the writing was just lazy. For instance, where are all the other night guards? And couldn't Larry have just turned the middle tile on the tablet to freeze the characters when things got too chaotic? And what is the tablet's range of magic? Does it go beyond the museum it's being kept in, or is it city-wide?

While lacking the element of surprise of its predecessor, it also blows the opportunity to answer some lingering questions about the rules of the film universe--things usually dug into deeper in a sequel. However, we aren't just not given answers, but the conscious lack of information is exploited in order to make the premise work. And then towards the middle of the second act things get a little chaotic and the plot holes open even wider. The chaos may be attributed to the thinly stretched plot.

Then we realize that there are issues with the character development. Larry's character goes back to where he started at the beginning of the first movie and has to figure out the same issues to get him to where he had finished. He's solving the same exact personal issues that were already solved in the previous film--a tactic that is a result of lazy character development.

On positive notes, the cast gets even stronger here. While we don't get the pleasure of Robin Williams on screen for all that much, Hank Azaria is amazing as the main antagonist.

Although this film is still entertaining for the easily amused, the poor script and the character depth issues still hinder it from becoming on par with the first film. But like I said before, it's a movie made for kids after all.

Twizard Rating: 74
½ June 16, 2014
Easily the worst of the trilogy. The film does have some fun parts but the main problem was that instead of using the new setting of the smithsonian to use the exhibits and be more fresh than the first one they just used it to make a commercial for the meusem. There is one part of the movie where Larry just goes around it silence and looks at the exhibits which told me all this a cash grab for both the film and smithsonian. There is some fun action and the effects are decent but overall the film is dull and lazy and fails to capture the fun of the first film or the third film.
½ March 22, 2013
Funny, imaginative, and filled to the brim with lovable characters, I think this one actually trumps the first film.
January 10, 2015
It wavers in comparison to the first, but it's not half bad mostly due to Amy Adams' charm.
May 6, 2012
My Rating: 3/5 stars; Grade: B-; Gesture: Thumbs Sideways; Status: Passable (Fresh); Emoticon: :-I.
½ October 2, 2014
This sequel to the first isnt quite as good as its predecessor as Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) goes to the Smithsonian to rescue Jedediah (Owen Wilson) and Octavious (Steve Coogan) who were mistakingly shipped out but they encounter a whole new set of artifacts that have been brought to life. Its a fun film but probably the weakest of the trilogy
May 21, 2009
Really enjoyed this sequel!
June 19, 2009
The first movie was not to bad and it was pretty funny actually. This sequel does not quite reach the same humor level as the first and thats a shame because its a decent sequel all in all actually. Ben Stiller is back as Larry Daley with a new job this time but his path leads to the hilarious characters from the museum once again like Jedediah Smith (Owen Wilson) and Teddy Roosevelt (Robin Williams). The funniest guy in this flick tho must be the new villain Kah Mun Rah played by Hank Azaria. The cute Amy Adams have a pretty big role aswell and she is always great in her movies. BTW she looks extra stunning in this movie :) Overall i must say its a worthy sequel and a fair comedy but could have been more funny..
½ January 1, 2015
Inferior to the first. The only two reasons I managed to sit through it were, Hank Azaria as the camp Egyptian God, and Amy Adams in those tight breeches.