Night Crossing Reviews

October 2, 2006
I saw this when I was very little, so I can't fairly rate it until I see it again. From what I remember it was an alright flick.
½ January 9, 2013
If we want to see or hear an historic event that made human suffer so much, this is it and the movie gives comprehensive details thus the entertainment at it's best.

I wish the ratings and accolades should have been much higher as the movie really deserves it !
March 4, 2013
Night Crossing is a Disney production from 1982 Starring John Hurt and Beau Bridges. It's the true story about two families who attempt to flee East German into West Germany in a home made hot air balloon. It's a fantastic escape movie told with sincerity and maturity. Before the 90s, Disney used to produce some amazing feature films (Third Man on the Mountain, Follow Me Boys, Treasure of Matecumbe just to scratch the surface). They were often true stories and always informative. I learned a lot from watching these films and I still do. Night Crossing is surprisingly sombre for a Disney film with a young boy being brutally gunned down by border guards within the first 10 minutes of the film, blood and all. So naturally it's for older kids and I think its acts as a great gateway into the history of German-segretation and the Berlin Wall. John Hurt and Beau Bridges are really good, and Hurt shows a vulnerability that I haven't seen often in his performances. The one weird thing about the movie is that the actors have British and American accents and it's easy for forget that they're supposed to be from East Germany... and yet all of the East German officials (police, guards etc) have accents. I guess to sort of vilify them. But the story is fascinating and holds your attention. The film has slipped into obscurity with time but I highly recommend finding a copy and owning it.
January 28, 2013
Saw it years ago, but do recall I saw it at night while crossing my legs so as to feel an integral part of the whole experience and I do believe it worked as they seemed to make it out and I apparently made it home, so all was well with the world that eve.
August 25, 2011
Since it's a Disney production, "Night Crossing" is a pretty wholesome picture that conveniently glosses over some of the darker elements of the era in which the film is set. That doesn't by any means make this a bad movie, in fact quite the opposite is true. This is a thrilling and captivating movie that exemplifies the human spirit and what it means to be free. There's a fine cast, and young Beau Bridges is exceptionally good along with the typically reliable John Hurt.
Director Delbert Mann is a good storyteller, but he keeps the film paced well and the tension tight. The story is true, but it's not a historically significant one. Mann's capable direction, however, makes the finale a real nail-biter in the grand Disney tradition. Thanks to a strong script, you really come to care for these characters and it really doesn't bother you so much that the screenwriters sanitize history. In fact, in some ways that's a good thing simply because it makes this perfect family entertainment. I can honestly say that it can easily be enjoyed by parents and their children, and it's good enough to generate a lot of discussion afterwards. Inquisitive kids will instinctively want to learn more about this subject, and an educational and entertaining film can't be a bad thing at all.
"Night Crossing" was the first "grown-up" movie I can remember seeing as a kid, and it still holds up just fine for today's audiences. It's a thrilling, well-told story that builds tension nicely.