97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Night of the Comet Reviews

flixsterman
flixsterman

January 21, 2009
Campy cult classic that combines post-apocalyptic drama with flesh eating zombies and parachute pants.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

March 20, 2012
Average tongue in cheek Sci Fi horror comedy, Night of the Comet is an underrated gem for 80's low-budget cinema. Night of the Comet may not be the best horror film of the 80's, nonetheless it's still worth your time. The concept is fairly simple, a comet flies by Earth killing everyone aside for a few survivors. They go on a shopping spree, but they come face to face with Zombies, crazy criminals and mad scientists bent on survival. Night of the Comet is really a blend of different styles of horror. The question is, does it work? Yes, it does. But the film does struggle at times at delivering something effective. Despite the uneven script, Night of the Comet is still a fun cheesy sci fi horror comedy that will please fans of 80's horror flicks. Sure the film won't win any prizes, but if you're one of those horror fans that enjoy cheesy horror at its finest, then look no further than Night of the Comet. The film has the necessary elements to make it an enjoyable film, but there's some on-screen material that does fall flat. Despite this, director Thom Eberhardt crafts a good film that will appeal to cheesy horror film fans. Night of the Comet is flawed but loads of fun. If you're a die-hard horror fan and want to spend a night with friends and watch something that's pure cheese, then this is the type of film for you to watch. The plot may be ridiculous, but that goes for every type of film of this caliber. Night of the Comet along with Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Motel Hell is probably one of best examples of good cheesy horror. Don't pass up on this one.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A teen version of the apocalypse, that's what this is, which may sound bad, but it's so bad it's good. I really liked this movie, and I highly recommend it.
Lewis C

November 24, 2010
"Hey, I'm sorry if the end of the world makes me a little nervous."

A lot of 80's movies just have this unique combination of camp and seriousness that I've never seen in flicks from any other era. Sometimes that combination results in a pretty good movie, sometimes it results in something that's hilariously (and enjoyably) bad, and occasionally the result is an unwatchable mess. I'd say that Night of the Comet is somewhere between the latter two categories. It certainly isn't good, but it had some moments that kept it from being a complete waste of my time.

The story is amazingly cheesy. A comet approaches the earth (it's implied that the last time it came through, it was responsible for wiping out the dinosaurs). As our planet passes through the comet's tail, the people exposed to it are instantly turned to red dust, or turned into zombies, or they'll eventually turn into red dust. Unless they happen to be enclosed in a steel building as it goes by, like our protagonists are. A pair of teenage sisters find themselves seemingly all alone in Los Angeles the next morning, but they eventually meet both allies and enemies in this empty new world.

Let's see, there are also evil scientists who want the blood of one of the girls for a vaccine to save themselves (we know they're evil because they wear dark glasses ALL THE TIME), a gang of evil, gun-toting zombies (we know they're evil because they wear dark glasses ALL THE TIME), a random trucker who joins up with the sisters, a bunch of guns and dynamite that comes from somewhere, the obligatory arcade scenes that legally had to be in any movies featuring teenagers in the 80's, and the required cheesy 80's soundtrack. There's your movie.

I didn't think Night of the Comet was that bad, though it never ascended to the heights of campiness that I hoped to see. The girls are cute in that spandex and heavy makeup kind of way, and once they get their hands on some weapons, the movie virtually turns into Rambo by way of Jem. If you happen to catch this on tv and would like a reminder of how random 80's movies could be, give it a shot.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

October 2, 2008
After a comet destroys 99% of the world's population, a tough usherette and her pom-pom girl sister must fight off various zombies and armed survivors to make their way through a deserted Los Angeles. Fun adventure with a strong female action hero.
puffchunk
puffchunk

November 30, 2007
Funny to laugh at the 80's, but one can only laugh at the 80's for so long before you pray for the ending. Still, there is something charming about government scientist's wanting to kill and suck out children's blood and telling them they will spend the rest of their life with Santa Claus.
_kelly .

February 2, 2008
Great "end of the world" and "empty society" scenes. Low on zombies and no real gore, but the two lead actresses are dead-on playing teen sisters raised by a military nut soldier. The story lags a bit in originalty and form towards the middle, but the dialogue is great and the premise of what causes the "zombies" is interesting. Recommended for those who like the "End of the World" subgenre and odd eighties classics. Gorehounds will be disappointed, but the thinking zombie watcher will find some novel parts.
jjnxn
jjnxn

August 4, 2007
goofy but kind of fun
Lafe F

June 13, 2007
Once-forgotten 80's gem of a movie. A strange comet passes over Earth and turns most of civilization to dust, except for those who were shielded from the energy. Two sisters survived by the comet by chance. I love the eerie quiet morning-after scene. Those who were semi-shielded were turned into zombie-like mutants. It's a short romp through the deserted streets and of Los Angeles, but then the girls move into an abandoned radio station and things slow down. A handsome dude hears the girls' broadcast and comes to their rescue. They run into gun-toting mall looters and a military research team who want to experiment on them, with a neat ending. I liked it.
Dann M

November 28, 2011
Earth gets an extra special Christmas present when a comet brings on the zombie apocalypse in Night of the Comet. And who better than a pair of teenage high school girls to fight off the armies of darkness? It is, perhaps, the absurdity that makes this film such a beloved cult classic. Catherine Mary Stewart and Kelli Maroney are perfectly cast, and do an excellent job at capturing the lighthearted comedic undertones of this campy '80s horror/comedy. Night of the Comet is a fun adventure with thrills, scares, and laughs. "They Came. They Shopped. They Saved the World!"
Emmanuel T

July 21, 2012
You know that theory where scientists believe a that a comet wiped out the dinosaurs? You probably do. Well, it looks like it's happening again! But this time, with people. That's right, people. In Night of the Comet that is exactly what happens, leaving only a few survivors. The survivors that are the main center in the story are two teenage girl's (one a cheerleader!). But wait, these girl's must also fight against...zombies!

When watching this film, it is hard to tell what the main thing is going to be. Is it going to be the comet? The zombies? Or just a plain story about two girl's left on their own? It's a bit of everything. Oh, and zombies? Don't expect too many, because there aren't. In fact, there isn't too much action or excitement like the film claims to have. It's rather disappointing really. It only starts to get somewhat amusing towards the end, but that's not going to be spoiled for you, because it wouldn't be right. All that can be said is that if you are expecting a fun and thrilling horror film, this one will most likely disappoint you. So overrated.
Byron B

February 12, 2008
Cheesy 80's pop fluff flick. The two valley girls dancing around a mall to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun before fighting a scary group of men armed with machine guns by throwing high heeled shoes was ridiculous. Awful!
Alec B

May 9, 2010
Its easy to see why Joss Whedon counts this film as one of his major influences. I think the finale happens too fast, but I love the dark twisted sense of humor the film has as well as two very unlikely heroes at the center of the story.
chadroesti
chadroesti

August 26, 2008
Old school 80's Sci FI flick. Man I loved this when I was 10 years old... Kind of a precursor to what Will Smith became in I am Legend.

Plot summary: Comet (presumabley Haley's) passes near earth instantlay vaporizing all organic life not encompased entirely by steel or lead or some such....anyhow, People not protected...dust. semi-protected...flesh eating somethings...otherwise you are good as gold and ready to shop till you drop to the music of Cindi Lauper and other 80's greats!

Not a great story but still a decent old school sci fi flick. I enjoyed it again the other night here on my work stay in Kuala Lumpur. I liked it more when I was 10 but still enjoyed it again.

Trivia for you geeks! What Sci-fi flick in the mid 80s was Catherine Mary Stewart the lead's girlfriend while he saved the universe by beating a video game?
John2223
John2223

March 25, 2009
The film has no real direction and despite certain comedic attempts most jokes falls flat. Additionally the movie progresses slowly with little or no scary moments
The idea for the movie was ok BUT fails in the execution. I really wanted to like this flix, but in the end I just couldn't.
divinetrash
divinetrash

January 4, 2008
It feels strangely uneventful by the time it's over, but while it's going on you get more than a few laughs and two really cool protagonists who sure know how to kick some major ass.
iLeo
iLeo

December 24, 2007
Fantastic movie!
DrLappos
DrLappos

August 28, 2007
This scared me rigid as a boy, great film and very 'futuristic' for its time.
Donna D

May 25, 2007
Crazy 80's movie regarding comet Zombies. I just loved the spunky story and the action/adventure this movie brought. A favorite of miine. :)