La Notte di San Lorenzo (Night of the Shooting Stars) (The Night of San Lorenzo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Notte di San Lorenzo (Night of the Shooting Stars) (The Night of San Lorenzo) Reviews

May 7, 2009
A group of Italian villagers struggle to survive the final days of WWII, battling Nazi sympathizers and anxiously awaiting the arrival of the American soldiers who will liberate them.

La Notte di San Lorenzo is a good film that may have been great had it be given a larger budget. For example, the highly anticipated American army is represented by a whopping TWO soldiers (neither of which ever utter a word), war planes are heard but never seen, an explosion in the church is represented by loud sound effects and a little smoke coming out of the door, etc., etc., etc... Still, you have to credit the Taviani brothers for making the most of what they had and giving us a film that seems to live well beyond it's means.
June 6, 2007
this movie has action, tragedy, war, humor, love, lust, history, fairy tales, heroes, blissful children, time-chastened old folks, prayers & desperate wishes, class conflict, (meaningful) politics, cold-blooded murder, tarnished violence for freedom, and the heritage of every kind of Italian movie
March 18, 2011
I keep thinking I'll run out of WWII movies in the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list, but I think I have about 200 left.
December 4, 2011
This film embraces a sort of fantastical realism like I have never seen - it's a recap of Nazi occupied Italy towards the end of World War II but told from the perspective of a narrator who was six year old at the time; while generally shot in a very minimalist/naturalist fashion, embracing the environment, all of the exaggerated eccentricities, daydreams, and fantasies of a child remain intact, blurring the distinction, at times, between the authentic and the surreal, the endearing and the traumatic. August 10th, La notte di san Lorenzo, is a night in which every shooting star is worth one wish. Although the narrator is granted her wish after seeing one of the great burning streaks across the horizon - to be able to put her childhood experience into words for her own child - can she harvest the insight necessary to ease her worries regarding the tumultuous socio-political circumstances in Italy? The film doesn't answer this question; we are left watching the evening sky, waiting for another flash of light to blur by, waiting for another wish.
August 10, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

I don't think the film fully works but the story kept me intrigued enough to marginally recommend it.