Night Train To Lisbon Reviews

January 9, 2015
A ridiculous drama that plays like a cheesy soap-opera, completely unaware of the meaning of subtlety and where everything is downright obvious and artificial: the cliched cinematography, the risible metaphors, the self-help platitudes and the utterly embarrassing dialogue.
hawkledge
½ December 8, 2013
Eventually delves into Portugal's dark past-interestingly.
September 20, 2014
An absorbing story, a beautiful and fascinating movie. Superb performances by an excellent cast. Slow moving without becoming tiresome. It is a romance, but not like most romantic movies. It has many of the aspects of a thriller yet quite unlike any other thriller I know of. A mystery in which the question is not whodunnit but what does it all mean -- as well as, who was the girl on the bridge? This deeply philosophical film has me eager to read the novel it is based on.
September 18, 2014
It aimed to be poetic and philosophical, but failed to convince the audience the actual interior world of the characters. Irons' performance is good but not outstanding.
January 9, 2014
It's all terribly talky and low-energy; that wonderful noirish title, it turns out, was just a front for a history lecture. thhis from the director of one of my all time faves:'the whales of august'
½ December 25, 2013
My unfamiliarity with Portugese history made this all the more fascinating, from the poetic philosophical writings of Amadeu to the dangerous, romantic context of the resistance, what made this movie special was its deliberate pacing and parallel tales from the fascinated professor (and chance optometrist) who bring closure to the interrupted lives of these young revolutionaries.
½ April 5, 2013
Fascinating considering I knew next to nothing about that portion of Portuguese history. I also felt invested in most of the characters' stories.
March 13, 2015
This is another of those psychological studies that are slow going but worth sticking with. Acting is superb, story is compelling and intriguing. Production first rate. A matter of taste.
½ March 11, 2015
Perhaps this appeals more to the older generation
November 27, 2014
A slow but methodical and interesting look into Portugal's recent fascist past (dictator was overthrown in 1974) with glimpses of the Resistance, youth who participated and the brutal PIDE. All of this is brought forward exploring different personalities and sparked by a chance encounter and captivating and mysterious book.
October 18, 2014
Loved this movie. The characters were wonderfully scripted and it was a wonderful story that kept me hooked.
September 13, 2014
Not great but there are some nice scenes of Lisbon and the movie, although very melodramatic, is OK.
August 11, 2014
With the exception of the scenery and cinematography in and around Lisbon, the film is a DOA literary mystery. Too mechanical and no sense of mystery; the critics have got it right!
½ July 22, 2014
Quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 5, 2014
Filmed in some great locations BUT the story is very boring and slow
½ July 3, 2014
A truly beautiful and thought provoking film. Despite one glaring continuity error which I won't mention
June 7, 2014
A great romantic movie, with good actors and interesting ideas. Not for everyone, though: no car chases, killings or sex.
½ May 15, 2014
Slow at times but overall not bad
April 26, 2014
surprisingly pleasant movie about life, philosophy, passion, history and mundanity. probably not as thrilling and deep as the book, but so what. definitely getting the book.