The Nightmare Before Christmas Reviews

michael e.
½ November 1, 2010
the most magical film ever created by the mind of tim burton. It truly captures your imagination, you feel magic, wonder, and fear while watching it and you come back to the real world satisfied at the end truly one of the best
December 23, 2010
With an impeccable production design, a deliciously ghoulish, German Expressionist feel to the story and an excellent soundtrack replete with well-inspired songs, this very amusing movie is even more surprising for the perfect way it combines animation and stop motion.
Movie Monster
½ July 19, 2010
It's been twenty years since The Nightmare Before Christmas was released and ten years since I first saw it. I remember seeing the trailers in front of some of the Disney VHS tapes I owned as a kid and that is how I became interested in it. I remember my mom taking my sister and I to the video store to rent it. I remember liking the movie the first time I saw it but I will admit, it did creep me out a bit. As the years went by and the more times I saw this movie, the more I grew to enjoy it. Now, The Nightmare Before Christmas is not only one of my favorite films to watch on the holidays, it's one of my favorite movies ever.

The film is the brainchild of Tim Burton and is directed by Henry Selick. The film starts off in Halloween Town, a home to many ghouls and monsters. Jack Skellington, the king of the pumpkin patch, grows tired of the Halloween festivities and longs for something new. Jack soon discovers a portal to Christmas Town, a bright and cheerful place where Santa and his elves live in. Jack is amazed by the concept of Christmas and attempts to get the citizens of Halloween Town to celebrate it. Jack also plans to take the role of Santa Claus and deliver toys to children. However, these plans backfire on Jack and the results are unforgettable.

There are many things I enjoy about this movie. First of all, I love the premise. Christmas and Halloween are two of my favorite holidays. Seeing a movie that combines the two is such a treat. There is enough spooky content to make this film appropriate for Halloween and enough bright colors and merriment to make it a Christmas movie. As for the story, it's very original. It's simple, straightforward, and imaginative. Tim Burton creates a cast of memorable characters here. It never gets boring. Every second of the film gives you something wonderful to look at. As for the story, it's very original. I just love the idea of a creepy guy like Jack Skellington discovering such a happy holiday and putting his own spin on it. As for the writing, it's pretty good. There's some good humor in this film.

The characters are one of the most memorable aspects of the film. Jack Skellington, is one of my favorite movie characters ever. I'm not ashamed to admit that I own a few pieces of memorabilia with his face on it. I just love his optimistic and curious attitude. Even when he gets emotional, you kind of feel bad for him. We've all been there before. We want to try something new and sometimes the outcome isn't pretty. You can pretty much relate to Jack. Sally is also a good character as well. She's a ragdoll with a crush on Jack who feels for him. She's another character you can relate to. I'm pretty sure we've all longed to be with someone and hope that our feelings for them are reciprocated. Oogie Boogie, the antagonist of the film, is a great villain. He's creepy, bloodthirsty, and I love the design of the character. Lock, Shock, and Barrel are some of the most sinister children ever created. They may be mischievous but I think they are pretty cool. And who forget Jack's beloved dog, Zero? Gosh, I love that adorable ghost dog. All the characters in the film are cool and the designs for them are awesome.

Chris Sarandon voices Jack Skellington and he brings a lot of energy to the role. He is able to show many of Jack's great traits through his performance. He is perfect for the role. Catherine O'Hara also does a good job as Sally. She is sincere and sweet. William Hickey does a good job as Dr. Ficklestein. His voice fits the grotesque look of the character. I can tell that Ken Page was having a blast playing Oogie Boogie. Like Chris Sarandon, he is full of energy. The voice acting in the film is solid. All the actors do well with their roles.

Like nearly every animated Disney film, The Nightmare Before Christmas is a musical. I personally love the music in this movie. All the songs are memorable. The opening number, "This is Halloween", is a perfect introduction to the Halloween world of the film. I love how each character is introduced. It's a great way to start the film. Another song I like is "What's This?", which is sung by Jack when discovers Christmas Town. I love the lyrics in this song and how Jack compares Halloween to Christmas. I also like seeing Halloween and Christmas come together in the song, "Making Christmas". I also like the song, "Kidnap the Santa Claus", because we get to see how devious Lock, Shock, and Barrel can be. "Oogie Boogie's Song" is also great as well. I love the music in this movie. Danny Elfman wrote some great lyrics and catchy music for this film. Elfman also provides the singing voice for Jack and he does a great job. Danny Elfman's songs and score for the film is just plain awesome.

After twenty years, the animation in the film holds up very well. The Nightmare Before Christmas was the feature length film done in stop motion. Stop motion is one of my favorite forms of animation. It always impresses me. The animation in the film is simply marvelous. The backgrounds are detailed, the sets are wonderfully crafted, and the characters move so smoothly. I just love the look of the movie. It's pure eye candy.

The Nightmare Beofore Christmas is such great film. It has an original, imaginative story, great characters, unforgettable music, and spectacular animation. I love how this is a film you can watch on both Halloween and Christmas. Heck, I even watch it when it's not the holiday season! The Nightmare Beofore Christmas is truly wonderful film. It's a classic film that I will enjoy watching for years to come.

♫There's children throwing snowballs instead of throwing heads.♫
June 9, 2006
It may have been directed by Henry Selick, but this is a Tim Burton film through and through.

Based on a long poem Burton wrote while working at Disney as an animator, this is a lively, creative, and imaginative cross holiday, stop-motion musical fantasy.

The story concerns a world not all that different from ours, but where each holiday has there own little world separated by ours through a portal. Jack Skellington is the Pumpkin King of Halloweentown, and, though he consistently delivers the goods each year, he starts growing tired of his life and falls into a bit of an existential funk. After stumbling into the wonderous world of Christmastown, Jack becomes excited and amazed by what he sees, and decides to try his hand at being Santa Claus. Despite his good intentions, Jack's limited grasp on Christmas traditions ends up spiraling out of control, and, if something drastic doesn't happen, then holidays could be forever altered, and not necessarily for the better.

Two decades after its release, and this film holds up remarkably well, and basically comes off as timeless. Its a loving tribute to both Christmas and Halloween, and, despite some mildly intense and spooky images and moments, makes for a delightful family film to be enjoyed during multiple holiday seasons (especially), if not all the time.

The art direction, set and character designs, and stop-motion animation are brilliantly conceived and executed, and I am never not impressed by how this was all done. These elements are classic Burton, and, for better or worse, this film is one of the main reasons why Hot Topic is still around.

Danny Elfman's score and lyrics are great, and his performance as Jack's singing voice is awesome too. The music is a nice blend of Halloween and Christmasy types of music, and the blend works pretty well. There's even some nice blues/jazzy moments thrown in as well.

As Jack's speaking voice, Chris Sarandon puts in some nice work, and Burton regulars Catherine O'Hara, Glenn Shaddix, and Paul Reubens also deliver some fine work.

Clocking in at a mere 76 minutes, this is a perfectly paced romp that is heartwarming, has some nice messages, and really delivers the goods where entertainment value is concerned. It's an all around brilliant affair, so yes, if you haven't yet seen it, you really must.
½ October 27, 2012
A cult film that deserves its status.
½ July 31, 2008
A ghoulish tale with wicked humour & stunning animation.

Great Movie! Painstakingly and meticulously crafted, "The Nightmare Before Christmas" is a beautiful and wonderful film from start to finish. The most famous image of this film is the cover art, which features Skellington eerily silhouetted against a full moon while he stands atop a coiled hill that overlooks a desolate graveyard. Tim Burton seems like the only being on the planet who could come with characters such as the ones found in "The Nightmare Before Christmas." The feature is literally a tale likely to be found in a child's dreams. It creates a world of its own, inhabiting unforgettable characters and events that should be shared with generations. This film is a visual masterpiece; a movie that deserves to be a holiday favorite for some time to come. Go see it!

It is the same routine every year in Halloweentown, on Halloween the monsters come out and perform a real scare. This particular Halloween, the pumpkin king Jack Skellington, bored of the idea, saunters off into the woods with his dog Zero after Halloween night. Upon the break of dawn, he discovers a clearing of trees with different doors representing various holidays. The Christmas Tree door attracts his attention and upon entrance into the world of Christmas, Jack is fascinated with this new idea of Christmas that he must absolutely share with the citizens of Halloweentown.
Directors Cat
August 15, 2011
The animation is absolutely brilliant and the songs are excellent. Its my favorite christmas film of all time.
July 25, 2006
The problem with this is that it's both a Christmas film and a Halloween film and that doesn't really work. At Halloween it's too early to be thinking about Christmas but at Christmas it's too late to be thinking about Halloween and you just want pure Christmas. It is a good film with a good story and morals but it just didn't work for me.
December 24, 2011
I remember seeing this in the theater as a kid. The main thing I remember is it's the first movie I saw with my mom where she fell asleep. I didn't think it was all that great at the time. However, time has been good to this movie. It's pretty much a cult classic now(hell my brother Matt has all kinds of merchandise). When I got a 3D TV, I knew I would wanna get this on 3D Blu Ray. In 3D, this is a whole new experience. The animation bursts off the screen, especially the Boogie Mans song scene. If you haven't seen it, the story is about Jack the Skeleton, the pumpkin king of Halloweentown. One day in the woods he stumbles through a door into Christmas town. He falls in love with Christmas and wants to have Christmas apart of Halloweentown, and things get crazy from there. By far, one of the weirdest, oddest animated movies ever. But, it is highly creative, imaginative, and a true one of a kind film. May not be a real Christmas classic, but it does hold up well, and the songs are catchy as hell. Re-watching this after all these years was like revisiting an old friend.
½ June 5, 2009
I wish i knew why every girl i have dated (which i admit is not a big number) has been obsessed with this movie. i have the same kind of fascination watching my father with his hunting knife, waiting for the opportunity to use an Arby's coupon so he can viciously rip it away from the other coupons with his knife. it brings simple joy to his face so i laugh and nod and shut the hell up and eat my beef n' cheddar.
February 28, 2011
A Nightmare Before Chritmas is the one of the greatest films ever, the best mixture of two holidays ever, and one of the best animated films ever. The plot is a masterpiece, it takes two holidays and perfectly mixes them to be a creepy Christmas film. The voice acting was great, and Danny Elfman had a beautiful singing voice. This animation may be old, but every time I see it I just can't believr how perfect it is. The music is the highlight of the film, this is probably the best musical in the history of film, I loved it so much. This movie is beautiful, touching, and in my opinion, perfect in every way a movie can be.
August 8, 2007
I LOVE Tim Burton's work, I'm his greatest fan, this movie is fantastic, so imaginative and dark, a truely gothic fairytale dream come to life. There is nothing much more to say here, its a near perfect film in every aspect and every field.
October 10, 2011
The Nightmare Before Christmas is one terrific, flawless film. This is definitely a great film to watch either on Halloween or Christmas. The film will appeal to adults and children alike. The film has stunning animation, a great story and a great cast to voice the characters. Producer Tim Burton along with director Henry Selick delivers one of the most memorable animated features in the cinematic medium. The film is wonderful, entertaining and lots of fun. This film remains a classic as it is just as groundbreaking as the first Toy Story was two years later. A Nightmare Before Christmas is a great film to watch again and again, and you admire the effort that went into such a film. As far as stop motion is concerned, this film is one of the best. Among the voice cast is Danny Elfman, Chris Sarandon and Paul Reubens to name a few. This is a well done film that just astounds you with every viewing. I remember watching this film for the first time, and I was blown away. A Nightmare Before Christmas is really a benchmark in film because the effects used in this film helped develop and advance CGI elements in films. A Nightmare Before Christmas is really a film that can either be viewed during the halloween season or Christmas season, it has a few minimal horror elements thrown in, and that's what makes this film so special too, the creative use of two seasons into one film, and the filmmakers are able to pull off something very memorable, creative and effective at delivering a rich, and amusing and above all stunning film that will appeal to the entire family and people of all ages. A superb film and a childhood favorite. A definite must see.
½ August 9, 2011
JUST BARELY watched this movie after all these years! I now understand why people go so crazy for The Nightmare Before Christmas. Genius work all around.
May 16, 2011
Mayor: Jack, please, I'm only an elected official here, I can't make decisions by myself!

The Nightmare Before Christmas was my favorite movie growing up. The fact that it's my favorite children's movie ever will probably never change. I just can't see anything topping the brilliance of this. The film looks great and sounds great. The songs are all amazing, with my favorite being, "This is Halloween." Danny Elfman did an amazing job with the score and songs. It's definitely among his best and he always does a terrific job.

The stop motion animation is flawless and looks so good. The scenery is creative and breathtaking. And the creatures are done to perfection. The amount of creativity put into Nightmare is absolutely ridiculous and everyone who had a hand in making it should be commended for it. Honestly I think I like this more now than when I was a kid.

Oogie Boogie Man: I am the shadow on the moon at night / Filling your dreams to the brim with fright.
January 22, 2011
Nothing I can say that hasn't been said.
September 6, 2010
My absolute favourite movie from my childhood, one of the movies that made me love Tim Burton and Danny Elfman, and overall a huge influence on my life, I think. I still watch this movie at least once a year. The plot seems simple on the surface, but this isn't an ordinary Disney flick, it's dark and scary and emotional. The songs are brilliant, the clay animation is uniquely Burton, yet influenced by the old gothic and expressionistic horror films, and it's just plain fun for both kids and adults. I highly recommend this movie, I love it so.
July 31, 2009
Pure Burton. Bursting with imagination with some real heart to boot. Full review later.
½ May 15, 2007
A fantastic musical. The songs are absolutely wonderful with an artsy flair and melancholy that shines!
½ October 29, 2006