A Nightmare on Tim's Street: Day 1

Summary

On April 30, the rebooted Nightmare on Elm Street hits multiplexes, ready to bedevil the minds of a whole new generation. As someone who's only seen bits and pieces of Freddy Krueger in action over the years, RT's own Senior Editor Tim Ryan will be watching every Nightmare installment in the days leading up to the new film's release. We invite you to take a stroll down Elm Street with Tim every day, beginning today, as he watches one of the Elm Street films every night and publishes an insightful recap the next day. Follow along and offer your own insights on the franchise and its individual films! Back to Article

Comments

Dave J

Dave J

The first "Nightmare" will always be the best no matter how many versions they make!!!

Apr 21 - 04:47 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Ok. Don't beat me up too bad, but I also recently visited this film.

I found the make-up to be really awful in certain scenes. The scene where Depps character is basically eaten by a bed has a noticeable skip of bad editing in it. Some of the acting was ridiculous.

Spoiler:

That ending after the ending with the freddy-mobile car pissed me off.

That said, it's a HELL of a lot better than the 2nd film, which is really not worth watching. The only one that holds up for me is New Nightmare.

I definately understand doing a re-make, now they can use better make-up effects and CGI.

Apr 21 - 04:48 PM

tomwaitsjr
In my opinion CGI "doesn't" do anything with me in terms of horror!! As a matter of fact sometimes I as a viewer can actually tell that it's CGI by looking it which would not be convincingly scary at all- give me the old style fashion make-up at any given time!

Apr 21 - 04:56 PM

Apr 21 - 07:05 PM

Quadzilla99

Aaron Yovanovits

"I heard somewhere that A Nightmare On Elm Street had three or four different endings, but the film makers couldn't decide which one to use. So they mushed them all together. That's probably why it sucked so much."

95% on the tomato meter dude. Its a classic, and it does hold up to repeated viewings. As you can see by the poll its def the best in the series. Stop admitting you know nothing about movies.

Apr 21 - 09:51 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

I'm not talking about the movie in general, just the ending. I love the first movie. I voted for it myself. I just don't think it has a good ending.

Apr 22 - 02:16 AM

Mr. Bo Ziffer
"I heard somewhere that A Nightmare On Elm Street had three or four different endings, but the film makers couldn't decide which one to use."

I think the reason that happened is that the "studio" didn't know that the Nightmare series would become a "cult" phenomenum-- and it's not the first time that has happened actually- they're alot of other films had also done that as well such as - the well known one called "Blade Runner" that has, as I recall 5 different endings and "28 Days Later" has more than one ending This is more a business standpoint!!

But the thing is that you're basing this information from what you heard and the other question is even if these other endings do "exist" what kind of ending do you prefer to see, because as you say that this particular ending "sucks"!!

Apr 22 - 12:26 PM

Quadzilla99

Aaron Yovanovits

Oh, my apologies Mr. Bo. I liked the ending. But if I knew the alternatives and some seemed better, I might not. I'd rather not even know them in that case, why ruin anything about this movie for myself? Cheers to a fellow Nightmare fan.

Apr 23 - 03:34 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Not to give anyone any misconceptions- I don't mind the ending of the first Elm Street film at all!!

Apr 22 - 03:47 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

I didn't hear this information from a friend. I saw it on a documentary about the rise of 80's slasher movies once Halloween and Friday the 13th came out. Eventually, it focused on Freddy, and apparently the studio couldn't decide on the three endings that were shot (getting in the car, Freddy and the mom, or the girls jump-roping), so they put them together. Even the producer's father was torn on it during the test screening.

As for what I think would be a better ending . . . I can't think of one. Maybe that is the ONLY ending the movie can have, considering how many sequels it had, or even by the tone of the movie. I just personally don't like it, just like how some people may not like the ending to Blade Runner, or 28 Days Later (if those people exist). I would still give the movie a 95%, totally.

Apr 23 - 08:17 AM

SBeakon

Stevo Sandknop

The things Craven managed to do with what little money he had is a hands-down example of cinema magic.

And the acting is supposed to be somewhat absurd, or he wouldn't have cast Ronee "Nashville" Blakley as Nancy's mother. Her performance (as well as several other elements in the movie) adds a certain amount of camp value that I'm sure wasn't lost on Craven, even in 1984.

Apr 21 - 07:06 PM

John S.

John Smith

nightmare elm street 3 and 4 were both pretty good, and the acting in this 1 wasnt bad at all...

Apr 22 - 10:13 PM

benc_academie

Benoit C

Agree, the 2nd is not worth watching. I bough all the movies but the 2nd.

Apr 23 - 04:53 AM

tomwaitsjr

Apr 21 - 04:56 PM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Good review. I'm hoping this remake/reboot breaks the mold of reboot ridiculousness!

Apr 21 - 05:15 PM

Jordan S.

Jordan Stanton

It's Micheal Bay so probably not.

Apr 22 - 06:20 PM

BlackPanther

Thomas Grady

That sucks that you have to watch the rest of them. You are going to think New Nightmare is Citizen Kane after Freddy's Dead.

Apr 21 - 05:18 PM

smi1ey

Matt Dunn

i love when you guys do these sessions of watching prior movies in a series. on with the show!

Apr 21 - 05:26 PM

Anzer

Steve Bernard

The first Nightmare on Elm Street is probably the best, but I can't wait for you to get to Dream Warriors; that has to be my personal favorite! XD

Apr 21 - 05:40 PM

Jalley O.

Jalley Oscar

I absolutely love the original "A Nightmare on Elm Street". I've seen it roughly a dozen times and find myself lured back to it at least once a year, even though I have the damn thing virtually committed to memory at this point. Growing up in the 80's, I followed this series religiously, and always felt that, apart from the original, "Dream Warriors" was the best in the series. However, I recently revisited "Warriors" for the first time in probably 15 years and found it to be a very mediocre affair, which was a huge disappointment considering the fondness I've harbored for it over the years. The FX are decent, and it's completely awesome to see a 19-year old Patricia Arquette in her screen debut, but the diabolical menace of the original incarnation of Krueger has here already been supplanted by this strange, wise-cracking, piss-poor stand-up comedian figure which would plague and hobble the rest of the films in this series, as well.

Apr 21 - 06:05 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

This is the best one, feel bad that you are going to have to watch some of the sequels though, a few of them are downright awful! Although I do not think this series ever reached Jason Goes to Manhattan levels of bad lol.

Apr 21 - 06:06 PM

Patrick

Patrick Wagner

You know what's worse than Jason takes Manhattan? Nope, not Jason X. It's Jason Goes to Hell when the military kills him in the intro scene and the black mortian eats Jason's heart and becomes Jason... Bad, just bad!

Apr 21 - 08:51 PM

greg b.

greg baltzer

I agree in every way. Jason goes to Hell is the worst of all the Jason movies.

Apr 23 - 04:58 PM

Matt J.

Matt Johnson

Jason X.

Apr 21 - 09:08 PM

Matt J.

Matt Johnson

The Original and A New Nightmare were the scariest Elm Street movies. But Dream Warriors was the most action packed out of them. Freddy Vs. Jason is the last one I would recommend because of and the only reason how high the body count is.

Apr 21 - 09:23 PM

Matt J.

Matt Johnson

Apr 21 - 09:26 PM

Matt J.

Matt Johnson

I don't care what people think about my comment on watching Freddy Vs. Jason. To me that movie was not suppose to have a great story or cast. Because the movie was all about Freddy and Jason. There were really only 5 people I recognized in that movie and that's only because I have seen a part of them in another movie.

Apr 21 - 09:31 PM

cjjojay

Stefan Gill

"There were really only 5 people I recognized in that movie and that's only because I have seen a part of them in another movie."

Which part, the decapitated head? ZING!

Apr 22 - 12:38 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

2nd was so boring. ..

I liked a lot of part III, but the claymation in the car junk yard was kind of funny. I also had a good laugh at the TV-Freddy monster. . .

Apr 21 - 06:19 PM

Matt J.

Matt Johnson

The second one had some creepy moments and a couple jump scenes. But the story didn't really catch my attention. You know what I'm saying.

Apr 21 - 09:33 PM

gigantor21

Messler Messla

Yeah, you've pretty much hit the peak of the series. It's all downhill from here. 4 and 5 fit your "cynical cash-grab" description to a tee; 6 is just horrendous at every level.

Apr 21 - 06:29 PM

Hot Pink Nation

Jason Thomas

While never reaching the depths of either the Friday the 13 or Halloween franchises, the late-middle chapters of the Nightmare series are pretty crappy. By the time you plow through parts 4, 5, and 6 (the abominable "Freddy's Dead") you're gonna think Wes Craven's New Nightmare is Casablanca.

This is the definitive quality ranking of the Nightmare on Elm Street Series (from best to worst):
1. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
2. Part 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
3. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
4. Part 4: The Dream Master (1988)

and then it starts sliding down the shute

5. Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
6. Part 5: The Dream Child (1989)
7. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)

Apr 21 - 06:38 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

I liked 1, 3, and 5 the best. I have good hopes for the new one. Love Jackie Earl Haley for the lead.

Apr 21 - 06:54 PM

Apr 23 - 08:17 AM

SBeakon

Stevo Sandknop

Apr 21 - 07:06 PM

Zombies happen.

Serpent T Rainbow

Good luck tomorrow buddy, the second one is ever so bad.

Apr 21 - 07:07 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

The first, third and seventh (New Nightmare) are all great movies.
The rest suck bad.

Apr 21 - 07:12 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Wasn't Dream Child in 3-D?

Apr 21 - 08:26 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Freddys Dead was in 3D. (only the ending was in 3D)

Apr 21 - 09:27 PM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Yeah, i remember that. It was a stupid/weird ending.

Apr 22 - 12:18 PM

Patrick

Patrick Wagner

Apr 21 - 08:51 PM

greg b.

greg baltzer

I agree in every way. Jason goes to Hell is the worst of all the Jason movies.

Apr 23 - 04:58 PM

Patrick

Patrick Wagner

Does anyone own the box set of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies? It has to have one of THE BEST extras I've ever seen thrown into a bonus disc. In it you go to an interactive building where you can move from room to room via your DVD remote's arrow keys. In each room you can click on items to see countless clips, stills, production items, memoribilia, and SO MUCH MORE. It also has you find keys and codes to move into other parts of the building. It is amazing if you have the time to view it all.

And as for the movies, anyone remember the Nintendo Power Glove scene?

Apr 21 - 08:58 PM

greg b.

greg baltzer

I agree in every way. Jason goes to Hell is the worst of all the Jason movies. If no one remembers the power glove watch Fred Savages movie "The Wizard". lol

Apr 23 - 04:59 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships