—— The Identical Sep 05

3 stars
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 9, 2010
Even though every Nightmare film has tried something new in the past, this one really doesn't offer anything much. However this film does have great moments and is still very enjoyable, but compared to Dream Warriors and The Dream Master, this is one of the weaker one, still enjoyable however. But it really doesn't anything new or creative. There's still a lot of originality present in the film with the death and dream sequences, but there's a little something lacking to make this film truly special, and memorable. Freddy seems a bit bored this time around, and so do the characters. Overall Nightmare On Elm Street: The Dream Child is a good little film to watch, but with nothing really new to add to the series.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
Not too bad. Some of the better death scenes in the series. Freddy also got a bigger role, which is never a bad thing. I think that the series tended to get a little bland after part 2, but still fun.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 28, 2007
i saw the 1st i think then thought these are so crap so boring and just poor not even scary
Anthony L

September 15, 2009
Its like they scooped up all the good ideas from the other Freddy movies and stuck them all together. It didn't work though, this one sucked! I quite liked the Direction though and the use of animation.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
I like Nightmare on Elm Street parts 2, 3, and 4. "A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 - The Dream Child" isn't the worst movie of the series, but it's far from being the best. In this one, Alice (Lisa Wilcox), finds out that she is pregnant. Freddy Krueger speaks to her through her unborn child, Jacob. Alice must find a way to communicate with Jacob in order to find out how she must get rid of Freddy this time around.
"A Nightmare on Elm Street 5" has some good special effects, but the storyline suffers. At times, it's hard to understand it. However, if you're a die hard Nightmare on Elm Street fan, you might like it. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. One of the worst films in the series.
vieras e

November 7, 2007
The much praised motorcycle scene is one of the lamest NOES kills, in my opinion. I'm not too crazy about Freddy turning into machinery - it just doesn't work for me. Also, why was baby Freddy deformed? He seems fine to me when he's an adult (physically, I mean).
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 11, 2007
This one I think was okay, they all run together.
jagfire
jagfire

August 24, 2007
Beating a dead horse
Ross C

August 19, 2007
More modern than its predecessors with more special effects and gimmicks, which make it seem less real and more fantastic overall.
Cassandra M

August 6, 2007
Not saying this is a bad movie like most people say, but if you look at it real closely; you will see this installment has the most drama than the others. Besides PART 7. Director Stephen Hopkins and (female) writer Leslie Bohem provide a great dramatic story with perfect comic timing by FREDDY KRUGER(Robert Englund).

Alice(Lisa Wilcox) and Dan(Danny Hassell) have been living like king and queen since the battle with FREDDY. All of that is about to change, because FREDDY is using their unborn baby, Jacob(Whitby Hertford), dreams to kill those close to her. The only person who can help her is the rest of her remaining friends and FREDDY's mother, who body has been missing since the birth of FREDDY.

Now the plot sounds like an average horror movie, but it's not. What most people complain about is how slow moving it is and not few people are killed like the other installment. This movie not about that at all, it's more on the human side than horror. Of course, you have those excellent one liners from FREDDY. So watch if your in for a horror/drama.
Lafe F

June 9, 2007
Elm Street 5 was less gloss and more of an independant horror film in feel. The survivors from Elm Street IV team up with new friends. Alice and Dan find out they are going to have a baby. Freddy, the Elm Street monster, somehow finds a way to get through to the real world through the dreams of Alice's unborn baby, which didn't entirely make sense; wouldn't anybody's dreams be a valid channel for him to return - why a baby? The dream death sequences is disappointing reduced to only a few, but they were very well done. I loved the comic book dream where Freddy becomes "Super Freddy!" I loved the Escher-esque design with the staircases and bridges going off in every direction during the final battle in Freddy's domain. I would rank this one as low as Elm Street 2, as it seemed poorly marketed; nobody I know wanted to go see it. Freddy was somewhat scary again. But the hasty production it was showing signs that the Elm Street franchise was getting tired.
deano
deano

March 20, 2007
This fifth installment in the series is a wild ride filled with gruesome makeup effects and mind-blowing visuals. Never mind that Freddy's return is not explained. (He was supposedly killed in part 4.) This time he enters the dreams of the heroine's unborn child, attempting to place the souls of those he kills into the fetus.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 11, 2007
arent they all sort of the same
Jason S

December 28, 2006
Getting pretty corny at this point.
Stuart B

October 2, 2006
Is anyone still scared of Freddy?
Emily A

June 30, 2006
This was where the franchise kind of slipped. Freddy was made into more of a clown than a menacing figure; they dwelled on jokes instead of scares. The visuals were less impressive and the characters were less likeable. The whole baby scenario was a bit too much of a stretch.
James A

May 18, 2006
The true Downfall of Freddy movies.
Dann M

October 30, 2012
A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child takes the series to new lows, and lacks all of the charisma and cleverness that made the series so popular. In this ridiculous tale, Freddy Krueger is able to resurrect himself and return to his killing spree by using the dream state of an unborn child, who he corrupts with the souls of his victims. The plot is atrocious, and isn't helped any by the pathetic performances. The special effects are also pitiful, and don't carry any sense of menace or terror. Cartoonish and formulaic, A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child is an insult to fans and to the horror genre itself.