• PG-13, 1 hr. 35 min.

Chick Flick with Questionable actions 2 stars
Gx7
Gx7

October 22, 2008
A girly tearjerker movie. Had me crying so much. :') Richard Gere, Reawwrr..
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 13, 2009
CAST: Diane Lane, Ricard Gere, Christopher Meloni, Mae Whitman, Viola Davis, James Franco, Scott Glenn

DIRECTED BY: George C. Wolfe

SUMMARY: Adrienne Willis (Diane Lane), a woman with her life in chaos, retreats to the tiny coastal town of Rodanthe, in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, to tend to a friend?s inn for the weekend. Here she hopes to find the tranquility she so desperately needs to rethink the conflicts surrounding her?a wayward husband who has asked to come home, and a teenaged daughter who resents her every decision. Almost as soon as Adrienne gets to Rodanthe, a major storm is forecast and Dr. Paul Flanner (Richard Gere) arrives. The only guest at the inn, Flanner is not on a weekend escape but rather is there to face his own crisis of conscience. Now, with the storm closing in, the two turn to each other for comfort and, in one magical weekend, set in motion a life-changing romance that will resonate throughout the rest of their lives.

MY THOUGTHS: I really liked the story, but the ending I am still unsure about. I didn't even for a second see that happening. I thought it was just going to be one of those predictable love stories. How very wrong I was. I am all for the non typical endings. But I wanted it to be typical in this film. It was just so sad. I really felt for the characters. Diane and Richard were great together. All of the acting was good. Seemed a little forced with Mae at times. But for most, all did a great job.
Red L

August 20, 2009
It reminded me of a Canadian B movie, but with an A list cast - including Richard Gere and Diane Lane. Sure It's a nice love story - complete with the baggage of past family and each other's shortcomings. In the end, I found it kind of mushy. I've seen a couple of comparisons to The Notebook, but it is half the movie the Notebook is. Bring a box of tissues though.
Lafe F

August 16, 2009
Sad, sensual, sensational and well-acted. Diane Lane and Richard Gere give life to this powerful story of love, letting-go and forgiveness. The hurricane sequence is skillfully done. I liked the coastal scenery. The only thing: too many cans of good food were trashed.
jjnxn
jjnxn

August 5, 2009
The stars are above such treacly material but they do the best they can with it and Viola Davis is fun in her all too brief role.
Nicki M

October 20, 2008
The DVD copy I borrowed of this was faulty and pretty much wouldn't play from one hour into it till the end. It was watchable, but it didn't do a whole lot for me, and I don't think seeing the ...SPOILER......death would have changed my opinion too much.
I actually think that with the cast this movie has and general tone, it is probably more aimed at middle aged women, who would probably enjoy this more than I did. Nothing too wrong with it, but just not that thrilling either. I don't feel moved to get hold of another copy and see the bits I missed.
deano
deano

October 14, 2008
Wonderfully, teary romantic and love story about hope, the rediscovery of happiness and, ultimately, scarifice. In this film, Richard Gere and Diane Lane have more chemistry than a science lab - and so they should, it's their third film together!
First teaming for the ambitious 80's musical The Cotton Club, and later the sexy, but disquieting, thriller Unfaithful, Gere and Lane are paired again to headline this beautiful and stirring film adaptation of the best-selling novel by Nicholas Sparks - and it just may be the duo's finest hout.
movieguru12
movieguru12

November 24, 2008
A beautiful and wonderful movie.
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

March 1, 2009
Nights in Rodanthe is a motion picture from the famed author Nicholas Sparks. Richard Gere and Diane Lane team up again in this dramatic love story. They both meet on a desolate coastal town in North Carolina on the off season. They both fall in love though both are going through a lot of turmoil. A good movie to see.
Nani V

September 30, 2008
There were times in this movie where I felt it lost me. The chemistry wasn't that great for me. Sweet story, but putting it into a movie didnt turn out that well. I'm pretty sure the book is better, although I've never read it.
Rachel F

February 15, 2009
It's a bit of a tear-jerker. Be sure to have tissues handy. It's a beautiful story, though. The place where it was filmed is beautiful too and just as much a part of the story as the characters and plotline.
Apeneck F

October 28, 2008
my internet girlfriend warned me warned us all a voice in the wilderness...
but i wouldn't listen.

i'm not scarred for life but it might take some intensive primal scream therapy to recover. i apologise to my neighbors beforehand.
think "love story, part 2, 30 years later" and then stop thinking.
Leigh R

September 10, 2008
Very beautiful and sad. Funny too...
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

October 20, 2008
The movie was good, certainly made the girls cry but I think the most important things in the movie happen too fast and so out of detail, The Notebook will be still my favorite tragic romantic movie of all time. Not meant to be seeing in the movies but a very good DVD movie on a sunday night with your better half. Adrienne Willis (Diane Lane), a woman with her life in chaos, retreats to the tiny coastal town of Rodanthe, in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, to tend to a friend?s inn for the weekend. Here she hopes to find the tranquility she so desperately needs to rethink the conflicts surrounding her?a wayward husband who has asked to come home, and a teenaged daughter who resents her every decision. Almost as soon as Adrienne gets to Rodanthe, a major storm is forecast and Dr. Paul Flanner (Richard Gere) arrives. The only guest at the inn, Flanner is not on a weekend escape but rather is there to face his own crisis of conscience. Now, with the storm closing in, the two turn to each other for comfort and, in one magical weekend, set in motion a life-changing romance that will resonate throughout the rest of their lives.
thmtsang
thmtsang

September 28, 2008
Richard and Diane make a great on screen couple. Based on a novel, two people with their own problems, meet one night and it changes their lives forever. You really feel for Diane's character.
Chris G

September 29, 2008
I saw this film in a theater with three couples and a whole row full of women. You could just tell by the mens faces that they were scared, so i assured them that it was going to be OK and we're going to get through this. I told them my horror story of having to sit through Made of Honor and they felt better.

Nights in Rodanthe is your typical Nicholas Sparks drivel. I can see this guy as the kid in the schoolyard making girls cry by telling them that Barbie was a communist or something to the effect. Diane Lane is a seperated mom who takes care of a seaside inn for a friend. Richard Gere is the doctor who arrives and acts weird. They fall in love and the end.

But Nicholas Sparks is trying to be the next Apollo Creed. No, he's not retirning more men than social security. he's killing more men than cancer. Yes, it's time to weep.

But you can't because the film is so damn predictable. But ladies love to cry over stars whose hair still looks good even in a hurricane. The acting sucks. The direction sucks. The premise sucks. But Scott Glen is in it so I'll throw it half a star.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

May 4, 2013
"Nights in Rodanthe, never reaching the end; letters I've written, never meaning to send." Oh man, I'm so old, and Richard Gere isn't exactly a spring chicken either, yet that I can still completely buy his finding new love with a woman who's 15 years younger than him (Granted, she's also middle-aged, but the age difference is still sizable), not just because he, at, like, 100, still looks better than me, but because he and Diane Lane are long overdue for an onscreen relationship that isn't spiteful. Seriously, they met in the midst of gang activity in "The Cotton Club", then Lane ends up messing around behind Gere's back in "Unfaithful", so they've earned a happy relationship... or at least a tragic relationship that isn't backed by them hating each other. Man, Nicholas Sparks knows how to make one heck of a tragic and apparently particularly marketable airport romance story, which would be great and all if you actually cared about the characters, like you, well, kind of do about the characters in this film. Yeah, I don't know if it's because this film's generally old-fashioned jazzy soundtrack is actually good, or if it's because I don't like young people, like the ones in most every other Nick Sparks film (Oh yeah, because Kevin Costner and Robin Wright are practically babies), but this film is actually kind of decent, so I reckon that means that Gere is at least making up for something that he did a long time ago. That's right, people, if you thought that "Days of Heaven" was borderline bull, like you should have (Stupid art snobs), these "Nights in Rodanthe" have a bit a more flavor to them... as well as a distinct beach house that eerily reminds be of the distinct house from "Days of Heaven". That being said, this film isn't exactly cleansed of a bit of blandness, being generally decent, but hardly without its share of issues.

The film is hardly all that slow, and it's certainly a long ways away from being as generally bland as most every other adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel, yet as reasonably engaging and entertaining as the film is, it still has its share of occasions in which atmosphere dries up, not so much so that you're somewhat bored, but decidedly to the point of shaking engagement value, which is shaken enough by, of course, development issues, which are getting to be expected in Nicholas Sparks films, even in one this fleshed out. Writers Ann Peacock and John Romano do a much better job than plenty in absorbing the depths of Sparks' characters, getting you associated with and invested in them adequately, yet this character drama would succeed more if Sparks's source material or whatever didn't still leave some holes in exposition, or at least in characterization originality, painting characters who feel a bit too undercooked and familiar for their own good. The characters of this film are fairly compelling, and that's more than you can say about many other Nick Sparks characters, but characterization is flawed, having only so many layers and, of course, only so much originality, something whose issues apply to plenty other storytelling elements. Where other Sparks stories are adapted so lazily that their conventions come off as all-out challeningly trite, there's a bit more heart behind this project to make its overly familiar beats somewhat worthwhile, but only so much can be done to obscure the fact that this story is so very formulaic and predictable, following a worn path that wouldn't be so bumpy if this story didn't take its beats from age-old tales that have always needed some punch-up in the subtlety department. This story is more down-to-earth than many Sparks efforts, or at least handled well enough in this adaptation for you to buy into it, but some histrionics can still be found in the midst of somewhat manufactured dramatic beats, and kind of understandably so, because without a bit too much juice pumped into it, this film's storytelling would be all but thin. There's only so much meat to Sparks' story, and no matter how much this interpretation tries to make and, in some ways, succeeds in making a relatively strong effort, it still has frustrating shortcomings that keep the film from achieving bonafide goodness. That being said, this film surprisingly borders on genuinely strong, and that's more than you can say about a lot of Nicholas Sparks adaptations, being an inspired effort with flaws, but inspiration, nevertheless, even when it comes to musical tastes.

Seeing as how this film is aimed at a relatively older audience, I don't know what kind of overly commercial soundtrack it could have had, but evasion of laziness can even be found in this efforts' music department, which features plenty of old-fashioned, if not just plain archived diddies of a jazzy or country nature that, while somewhat underused, entertain quite a bit when they show up, while Jeanine Tesori's score work colors up atmosphere with soulful compliments, in spite of minimalism and conventionalism. The film's musical tastes aren't outstanding, but they are clever, looking not to sell some kind of lame soundtrack like oh so many other films of type, but to grace resonance with colorful enhancements that gain your attention, while such aspects as, of all things, the writing, go so far as to earn your investment. Like I said, Nick Sparks' concept hamstrings the efforts of screenwriters Ann Peacock and John Romano, suffering from characterization, originality and dramatic subtlety flaws that can never truly be wiped away, and must stick with the final product as the things that prevent it from breaking out of some moderate degree of underwhelmingness, but what is done right in Peacock's and Romano's script cannot be ignored, being colorful with its punch-up, and still somewhat juicy in its characterization, which faces its share of natural shortcomings, but ultimately overcomes conflicts just enough to breathe genuineness into a dramatically flawed character study. The film's script is imperfect, but stronger than expected, as is the film's direction, for although George C. Wolfe, the director behind the acclaimed broadway debut of "Angels in America", can do only so much to fight back natural shortcomings in the dramatic department, he earns your investment with a toughtful atmosphere, punctuated by glimpses at what this film could have been, as seen through unexpected moments of genuine emotional resonance, which gives intrigue juice and dramatic bites an almost, if not decidedly piercing firmness. It takes a while for the film to really kick dramatically, as reflected by its final rating's not being as strong as the final product's higher notes, but make no mistake, the patient are bound to be rewarded with effective dramatic beats that, while too underexplored to save the film as rewarding on the whole, still stand, backed by inspired writing, direction and, of course, acting, something that is strong through and through. The acting isn't exactly stellar, as we are still dealing with a conceptually undercooked drama, yet this film's strong cast is ultimately put to generally good use, featuring such underused show-stealers as a particularly charming Viola Davis, a humanly subtly emotional Scott Glenn and even a surprisingly rather layered Mae Whitman, while being headed by a pair of strong leads, with Diane Lane being convincing as a woman who grows to find new revelation in life through new love, which in turns breathes new life into the initially quiet and guilty, and eventually humanly changed Paul Flanner character who Richard Gere portrays with subtle emotional range and genuine layers. If nothing else, our leads are charismatic, and such when their charismas clash, you end up with very strong chemistry that leaves this film to succeed in its noble efforts as a character study, and while the final product is still to naturally flawed to be as good as it almost is, it is underappreciated, having enough inspiration and strength to border on all-out strong, and decidedly achieve quite a bit of unexpected enjoyability.

At the end of the day... or nights, or whatever, dry spells slow down the momentum of the film's engagement value, though not as much as some characterization issues that leave you to meditate upon the conventionalism within Nicholas Sparks' characters, while histrionic occasions leave you to meditate upon the conventionalism within Sparks' story, which may be well-interpreted on the screen, but ultimately boasts too many natural shortcomings to escape some degree of underwhelmingness, though not so many shortcomings that you can't appreciate what is, in fact, done right, whether it be the strong soundtrack and score, or the inspired writing and direction that crafts enough meat and emotional resonance behind substance - anchored by a strong cast, from which leads Diane Lane and Richard Gere stand out as layered, charismatic and with strong chemistry - to make "Nights in Rodanthe" an albeit quite flawed, but occasionally resonant, often compelling and consistently enjoyable romantic drama.

2.75/5 - Decent
Fascade F

May 5, 2009
A haunting and forever memorable & romantic chic flick. Richard Gere definitely has one for the ages and beyond as Diane Lane's love interest. Both are facing major life crises...and eventually lean on each other for a remedy or two for comfort. A wonderful and endearing love story that will stay with you long after it is over. See this! It is undeniably recommended.