Nights in Rodanthe Reviews

April 4, 2015
Very beautiful, sad, moving and tragic. I thought Titanic was the ultimate tearjerker movie, but Nights in Rodanthe steals the spotlight for the best tragic storyline. Richard Gere and Diane Lane are absolutely terrific. Outstanding acting from them.
October 5, 2008
Brace yourself for a major tear-jerker.
½ August 13, 2014
I can see how a lot of people wouldn't like this movie, I didn't think much of it the first time I saw it either, this time around I must have just caught it in the right mood because I really enjoyed it. It is one of the weaker Nicholas Sparks books though-as is this adaption although helped along by some A-list talent in Richard Gere, Diane Lane (and several lesser roles) who do the best they can with a nothing sort of story. I'll just say it, complete chick-flick including one hell of a tear-jerker ending. Both leads do a good job especially in the beginning when we see an intense, angry and frustrated Gere and a frazzled Lane. The romance follows a Doctor travelling to see his estranged son and a woman separated from her wayward husband and managing a North Carolina Inn for her friend. It all comes together when a major storm hits the coast and the two have to hunker down in the wind and dark. The Inn is gorgeous and almost becomes a character within itself -although I had to wonder about the decision to build it so precariously on the beach. I understand it's been destroyed by a real storm since filming, no wonder. 8/28/14
June 17, 2014
Love this romantic film, with a sad but happy ending :-) Family reconciled :-)
March 7, 2014
Like all Nicholas Sparks films, this was a great chic flick that brought me to tears. Beautiful.
½ February 10, 2014
The acting is good but apart from that there is nothing else that I can recommend
½ December 10, 2013
Even older adults fall in love.
December 2, 2013
A story about mature love that is not quite engaging to watch.
November 14, 2013
Gere and Lane are charming in this dewy-eyed adaption of Nicholas Sparks' novel.
September 14, 2008
I love Nicholas Spark Movies I thought this was a good movie. But The Notebook is my favorite Nicholas Spark movie so far to date
November 8, 2013
Many romantic movies have been made with the type of man to be young and good looking. this movie has changed that you don't need a young handsome man to make it interesting, that's why I liked this movie. I liked how they managed the lighting in the movie. My favorite scene was when he was alone sat in a chair looking in a window.
½ September 10, 2013
you take the soul out from the book and give it a life...thts hhow this movie is
October 7, 2008
It has Christopher Meloni in it, which was why I watched it! He did amazing!
½ August 21, 2013
Middle age romance, major life crisis, broken relationships... It's never too late for a second chance. This is what Nights in Rodanthe tries to share to its audience. A lesson and message that the other critics of this film failed to absorb. This story is about finding second chances amidst hurt, frustration and depression. The dramatic theme side of the story comes when tragedy strikes the lead characters romance story. The movie also has one of the best setting in Nicolas Sparks movie adaptations. The North Carolina beach, beach-town inn are all delightful to see! Richard Gere and Diane Lane delivered the goods and acted effortlessly. Even Viola Davis as Adrienne Willis' bestfriend Jean was notable in the movie including Mae Whitman as the rebellious daughter of Adrienne and James Franco as Paul's son in a supporting role was commendable. The last few scenes have an intense drama on it so be ready to shed tears if you must. Overall, Nights in Rodanthe shares to us that love deserves a second chance.
August 8, 2013
This formula piece was certainly predictable except for the ending, and it was also unrealistic, but it presents a romance about which many dream could happen to them, even if it is unlikely and not very real, and that, with Lane's charm and performance, make it worth seeing.....
June 12, 2013
Uuugghhh.... how many times can I cry?
½ May 25, 2013
Love story with many good moral of forgiveness and emphathy . Im cry with the sad ending. But someone ever say : i m better live with you for just a moment than if i married someone else for 70 years
½ May 19, 2013
I am really beginning to tire of these adaptations of Spark's trash.
½ May 17, 2013
This wasn't my night to pick but I did enjoy the movie
Cameron W. Johnson
½ May 4, 2013
"Nights in Rodanthe, never reaching the end; letters I've written, never meaning to send." Oh man, I'm so old, and Richard Gere isn't exactly a spring chicken either, yet that I can still completely buy his finding new love with a woman who's 15 years younger than him (Granted, she's also middle-aged, but the age difference is still sizable), not just because he, at, like, 100, still looks better than me, but because he and Diane Lane are long overdue for an onscreen relationship that isn't spiteful. Seriously, they met in the midst of gang activity in "The Cotton Club", then Lane ends up messing around behind Gere's back in "Unfaithful", so they've earned a happy relationship... or at least a tragic relationship that isn't backed by them hating each other. Man, Nicholas Sparks knows how to make one heck of a tragic and apparently particularly marketable airport romance story, which would be great and all if you actually cared about the characters, like you, well, kind of do about the characters in this film. Yeah, I don't know if it's because this film's generally old-fashioned jazzy soundtrack is actually good, or if it's because I don't like young people, like the ones in most every other Nick Sparks film (Oh yeah, because Kevin Costner and Robin Wright are practically babies), but this film is actually kind of decent, so I reckon that means that Gere is at least making up for something that he did a long time ago. That's right, people, if you thought that "Days of Heaven" was borderline bull, like you should have (Stupid art snobs), these "Nights in Rodanthe" have a bit a more flavor to them... as well as a distinct beach house that eerily reminds be of the distinct house from "Days of Heaven". That being said, this film isn't exactly cleansed of a bit of blandness, being generally decent, but hardly without its share of issues.

The film is hardly all that slow, and it's certainly a long ways away from being as generally bland as most every other adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel, yet as reasonably engaging and entertaining as the film is, it still has its share of occasions in which atmosphere dries up, not so much so that you're somewhat bored, but decidedly to the point of shaking engagement value, which is shaken enough by, of course, development issues, which are getting to be expected in Nicholas Sparks films, even in one this fleshed out. Writers Ann Peacock and John Romano do a much better job than plenty in absorbing the depths of Sparks' characters, getting you associated with and invested in them adequately, yet this character drama would succeed more if Sparks's source material or whatever didn't still leave some holes in exposition, or at least in characterization originality, painting characters who feel a bit too undercooked and familiar for their own good. The characters of this film are fairly compelling, and that's more than you can say about many other Nick Sparks characters, but characterization is flawed, having only so many layers and, of course, only so much originality, something whose issues apply to plenty other storytelling elements. Where other Sparks stories are adapted so lazily that their conventions come off as all-out challeningly trite, there's a bit more heart behind this project to make its overly familiar beats somewhat worthwhile, but only so much can be done to obscure the fact that this story is so very formulaic and predictable, following a worn path that wouldn't be so bumpy if this story didn't take its beats from age-old tales that have always needed some punch-up in the subtlety department. This story is more down-to-earth than many Sparks efforts, or at least handled well enough in this adaptation for you to buy into it, but some histrionics can still be found in the midst of somewhat manufactured dramatic beats, and kind of understandably so, because without a bit too much juice pumped into it, this film's storytelling would be all but thin. There's only so much meat to Sparks' story, and no matter how much this interpretation tries to make and, in some ways, succeeds in making a relatively strong effort, it still has frustrating shortcomings that keep the film from achieving bonafide goodness. That being said, this film surprisingly borders on genuinely strong, and that's more than you can say about a lot of Nicholas Sparks adaptations, being an inspired effort with flaws, but inspiration, nevertheless, even when it comes to musical tastes.

Seeing as how this film is aimed at a relatively older audience, I don't know what kind of overly commercial soundtrack it could have had, but evasion of laziness can even be found in this efforts' music department, which features plenty of old-fashioned, if not just plain archived diddies of a jazzy or country nature that, while somewhat underused, entertain quite a bit when they show up, while Jeanine Tesori's score work colors up atmosphere with soulful compliments, in spite of minimalism and conventionalism. The film's musical tastes aren't outstanding, but they are clever, looking not to sell some kind of lame soundtrack like oh so many other films of type, but to grace resonance with colorful enhancements that gain your attention, while such aspects as, of all things, the writing, go so far as to earn your investment. Like I said, Nick Sparks' concept hamstrings the efforts of screenwriters Ann Peacock and John Romano, suffering from characterization, originality and dramatic subtlety flaws that can never truly be wiped away, and must stick with the final product as the things that prevent it from breaking out of some moderate degree of underwhelmingness, but what is done right in Peacock's and Romano's script cannot be ignored, being colorful with its punch-up, and still somewhat juicy in its characterization, which faces its share of natural shortcomings, but ultimately overcomes conflicts just enough to breathe genuineness into a dramatically flawed character study. The film's script is imperfect, but stronger than expected, as is the film's direction, for although George C. Wolfe, the director behind the acclaimed broadway debut of "Angels in America", can do only so much to fight back natural shortcomings in the dramatic department, he earns your investment with a toughtful atmosphere, punctuated by glimpses at what this film could have been, as seen through unexpected moments of genuine emotional resonance, which gives intrigue juice and dramatic bites an almost, if not decidedly piercing firmness. It takes a while for the film to really kick dramatically, as reflected by its final rating's not being as strong as the final product's higher notes, but make no mistake, the patient are bound to be rewarded with effective dramatic beats that, while too underexplored to save the film as rewarding on the whole, still stand, backed by inspired writing, direction and, of course, acting, something that is strong through and through. The acting isn't exactly stellar, as we are still dealing with a conceptually undercooked drama, yet this film's strong cast is ultimately put to generally good use, featuring such underused show-stealers as a particularly charming Viola Davis, a humanly subtly emotional Scott Glenn and even a surprisingly rather layered Mae Whitman, while being headed by a pair of strong leads, with Diane Lane being convincing as a woman who grows to find new revelation in life through new love, which in turns breathes new life into the initially quiet and guilty, and eventually humanly changed Paul Flanner character who Richard Gere portrays with subtle emotional range and genuine layers. If nothing else, our leads are charismatic, and such when their charismas clash, you end up with very strong chemistry that leaves this film to succeed in its noble efforts as a character study, and while the final product is still to naturally flawed to be as good as it almost is, it is underappreciated, having enough inspiration and strength to border on all-out strong, and decidedly achieve quite a bit of unexpected enjoyability.

At the end of the day... or nights, or whatever, dry spells slow down the momentum of the film's engagement value, though not as much as some characterization issues that leave you to meditate upon the conventionalism within Nicholas Sparks' characters, while histrionic occasions leave you to meditate upon the conventionalism within Sparks' story, which may be well-interpreted on the screen, but ultimately boasts too many natural shortcomings to escape some degree of underwhelmingness, though not so many shortcomings that you can't appreciate what is, in fact, done right, whether it be the strong soundtrack and score, or the inspired writing and direction that crafts enough meat and emotional resonance behind substance - anchored by a strong cast, from which leads Diane Lane and Richard Gere stand out as layered, charismatic and with strong chemistry - to make "Nights in Rodanthe" an albeit quite flawed, but occasionally resonant, often compelling and consistently enjoyable romantic drama.

2.75/5 - Decent