46% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Nim's Island Reviews

John M

May 11, 2008
Completely unbelievable movie but my daughter loved Nim and all the animals.
Anthony L

January 20, 2014
I quite liked the idea of the story and indeed the film started so well with the lovely animated introduction but just seemed to go down-hill from there. Everything was overdone. If it was a cake it would be a cup cake with wedding cake sized icing, sickly, hard to swallow and with very little content. Abigail Breslin was fine, Gerard Butler was quite good in his double role but the supporting cast of exaggerated stereotypes where tiresome and Jodie Foster's performance is probably among the worst I've ever seen. Her attempts at physical comedy made me want to throw things at my television and shout bad words. Not what you want from a 'Family film'. I think the directors (always be weary when there is more than one) had great intentions initially, they just got lazy and went all Hollywood. I'm surprised this got a cinema release and didn't go straight to video.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 5, 2011
There's not a lot of adventure in Nim's Island but there is a lot of character development and although it might be confusing for some, the acting and script just about save's it.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

April 2, 2008
Your adventure starts here.

This movie is basically for a kids audience, in order to really grasp it's full magic you have to be a kid. The film uses alot of imagination which is cool if your a kid but for a grownup like me it didn't really moved me or made me love it more. The story was nice and it had some funny moments.

Nim's Island tells the story of a young girl named Nim (Abigail Breslin). She lives on a beautiful uncharted island with her father Jack Rusoe (Gerard Butler), a research scientist studying microscopic marine organisms. She spends her days having wild adventures in the woods along with her animal friends, Fred the lizard, Galileo the pelican, and Selki the seal, and her wild imagination. Nim has a huge passion for books, especially the Alex Rover books. Jack is about to take Nim on a two day research trip looking for protozoa, but Nim begs to be left behind so she can help the hatching baby sea turtles. Jack reluctantly leaves Nim behind and sails out to sea. While he is away, Alexandra Rover (Jodie Foster) the author of the Rover books emails Jack to get his knowledge about volcanoes for her next book. Nim replies thinking he is the great adventurer Alex Rover. Everything goes well until a huge storm hits the island and Jack becomes lost at sea. Nim sends a letter to her literary hero pleading for help. Little does Nim know, that Alex Rover is a woman (Jodie Foster). Alexandra is agoraphobic and never leaves the house. She rarely even opens her front door. Alex also has a wild immagination, whereas her fictional character Alex Rover (also Gerard Butler) talks to her, mocks her, and gives her pep talks. When they find Nim's Letter, fictional Alex badgers Alexandra until he finally convinces her to leave the confines of her townhouse to go and help Nim. After a long and terrifying journey, both of the Alex's make it to Nim's Island and try to help. Will they find Nim's father? Find out by going to see Nim's Island.
Red L

February 20, 2011
I didn't like the story-line at all. Talking animals; characters getting out of impossible situations; totally predictable.
michael e.
michael e.

January 2, 2011
It was fairly decent
Jens S

March 31, 2008
This lovely adventure film is mostly directed at a younger audience. Kids ages 8 to 14 should have a lot of fun with the animals, the setting and the themes. Abigail Breslin is adorable as always and although Jodie Foster overacts her role as neurotic actor quite a bit, but some of the scenes are pretty funny anyhow. The pace is fast, the film is always entertaining, even if a tad predictable for regular movie viewers. But it's certainly one of those films I would have watched over and over as a child. The scenes that mix reality and fantasy are particularly charming.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
a good kids movie, but that's about it! Plus Gerard Butler, even though he plays his role good, does not belong in this movie!
vieras e

October 21, 2009
I'm clearly too old for this film. Might be alright for children into island adventures, though.
Luke B

June 21, 2009
It attempts to mix children's fantasy with Foster's agoraphobic writer. This never amounts to anything more than mildly amusing. Butler is acceptable in a double role, but he comes off as too smug, making i easy to hope for his untimely end. Foster travels to an island to help a stranded girl. Putting all logic aside, the film enters unintentional humour territory, as Foster shows finally arrives within the last 15 minutes and has nothing to do, making this film pointless and irritating. Charming enough for parents to enjoy with their kids, but highly forgettable.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

February 15, 2009
its a cute light hearted movie with a few funny scenes qand is really nice to watch on like a wet evening with the family worth a watch
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

February 14, 2008
Well, I must say that I'm pretty bored with the beginning of this movie... Even it looks pretty amazing, the island and the animal, but the story was boring... But after Jack Rusoe went for looking Protozoa Nim, and Alexandra Rover decided to come for Nim, things become interesting again for me... Abigail Breslin herself showed a pretty good acting here... Even she's already an Oscar nominated actress, but she's still cute, funny little girl that still grows up.. Jodie Foster showed great acting when she showed her agoraphobic, but when she come out for Nim, I think I will forget the fact that she's a two times Oscar winner for Best Actress... Gerard Butler appearance doesn't make any sense to me... As Alex Rover, he's just an imagination of Alexandra, not important at all... And as Jack Rusoe, he just looks like a carpenter trapped in the middle of the ocean trying to find his way home by a help from a pelican... After all, this movie just a light movie, not great but pretty entertains me...
Screeny
Screeny

October 13, 2008
This is a good movie was parents and there kids. A couple scenes were pointless and i think they gave Abrigal Breslin's charecter way too much strength in this movie for a 10 year old girl. An okay movie, just for kids though in my opinon.
deano
deano

March 31, 2008
This adventure story is fast-paced, pretty and generally good fun. Jodie Foster is deftly funny, and she carries the movie. Gerard Butler, too, is on good form. The weak spot is Abigail Breslin. She underplays to the point of being dull - upstaged by her sea lion pal and a CG lizard - and a flabby middle-section plot device about a cruise ship feels flat, leaving her filling time until Foster appears. But there are neat parallels between the three stories of these essentially lonely people, and the ending makes up for a lot.
Roy G

May 5, 2008
There's nothing very suspenseful going on ... but the cast and the story will appeal to both kids and adults.
Mark H

June 25, 2008
When her scientist father goes missing, a young girl seeks help from the author of her favorite adventure books. Charmless adventure film may please young children, but for adults it is a demanding exercise in endurance. The story (by 4 screenwriters, no less!) feels as if it was assembled in a factory and is plagued with dull dialogue and embarrassing slapstick. The characters in a Johnny Quest cartoon have more depth that what we are presented with here. The South Pacific island locations are pretty, however.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

April 1, 2008
this was a great movie to watch with my kids but it doesnt do a good enough job of holding an adult audience. i found myself a little bored only a third of the way into the movie and i clock watched from there. the end was touching and fun and it had character, but they could have done more with the home alone style theme of defending the island. really just average.
Jani H

July 1, 2008
"I'm not from a story... I'm from Brisbane."

I liked how this film mixed fantasy with reality. There was interesting and lovable characters in it. Jodie Foster made a good role as a neurotic author who goes into a rescue mission without her own will but forced by her imaginative hero. Abigail Breslin was just as cute as in "Little Miss Sunshine".

A fantasy film with good entertainment and in smaller measures but doesn't lose to it's bigger budget rivals in realization.