Ninja Scroll - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ninja Scroll Reviews

April 12, 2015
Not recommended for people who get upset when anime isn't nice to them.
December 19, 2014
Classic action packed anime set in feudal Japan.
½ December 13, 2014
Its unbridled surreal/supernatural elements play off in a setting that takes itself all too seriously. This makes for an intriguing, well animated piece that is worth looking at.
October 7, 2014
Excellent film I love the fast action and direction of how it went!!!!
July 29, 2014
A masterpiece between Japan animation movies!!
½ March 27, 2009
Good plot and decent action; entertaining.
½ December 13, 2013
Depraved, violent, awesome. Rewatching it made me realize how unique and well-developed the characters were, esp. the villains. Quite touching in a cheesy way too.
January 22, 2014
Violent, yes! Entertaining, yes! Completely awesome, YES!
December 28, 2013
A superb highlight of anime cinema, though not quite matching up to the milestone works of Otomo or Miyazaki.
June 25, 2007
Awesome action. One of the first Anime I ever saw and pretty much just endless bloodshed.
½ November 15, 2013
4.5/5 One of my first and definitely one of the best anime movies ever made...still. Action, mystery, romance, fantasy, tragedy, all rolled into one.
November 11, 2013
Ninja Scroll is a great way to be interested in Anime.
October 26, 2013
"The only sound you'll hear, is the sound of your own voice screaming." Saw this one on a whim, just cuz a few people have recommended it, and since I have a positive bias towards the samurai stuff. Was very pleased to see that it was entertaining as hell and actually full of heart and soul. It is extremely gruesome, so, umm, don't eat a big meal beforehand. Hard to believe this is already 20 years old. Felt like a precursor to all those 'demons and dark magic' anime, but maybe I just haven't seen enough of those to tell. Yeah, twas great fun.
August 7, 2013
Ninja Scroll is a very old anime, and you can tell by the visuals that this is the case. However, I found this anime to have stood the test of time quite well. I prefer newer animation styles by a land slide but I didn't mind watching this, the only problem was the chins. Seriously, the chins take up half the characters faces, maybe it's just me but this really irritated me, it's worst on the lead female of the film. She has some sex appeal and there are 1 or 2 situations where that is definitely exploited but that chin really put me off... chins aside some of the background art is beautiful and the gore is really over the top and it's great. It has a solid storyline however the ending feels like it happened too early. Picture yourself playing a game and the map shows that you're half way to the end and then the boss suddenly appears and shortly after the credits roll. That's what the ending feels like. None the less the story line was good, the enemies were good and the voice acting was alright. The characters weren't exactly memorable however they weren't weak. I would recommend this film to anyone who is bored and looking for a gory action anime.
July 30, 2013
Ninja Scroll can be watched again and again. I loved it so much. I saw it when I was a kid, about 20 years ago. It was awesome then, and it's awesome now. There's never a dull moment.
July 28, 2013
This is Mad House best film to date and one of the best animated films there is. The samurai action is mind-blowing and the story is not bad either. There's no animation yet that can topple this classic.
July 26, 2013
An unrelenting and brutal classic cinematic masterpiece of anime whose echoes resound throughout the history of the medium. Violent, dramatic, and powerful, this one is not easily forgotten. Any western viewer should find this one easily accessible even if they are not fond of anime but love sword & sorcery or action.
July 2, 2013
Clįsico donde los haya, no hay un minuto de desperdicio en el metraje.
June 23, 2013
Don't let the generic title and its age stray you away from this gem, as this is one of the best Anime movies out there. Blood gushing, limb slicing, and adultery scenes packed with a melodramatic story. With all of this asserted, this movie is not recommended for the young audience. The animation still fairs out well today, and the fight scenes are strongly choreographed, especially the epic final fight "Gemma, die in your golden hell!!!".
June 25, 2013
Along with Ghost in Shell, Akira, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away, this is easily one of the top 5 Anime movies ever made. Very influential, dark, and noir. A must see film, and certainly a required watch if you like anime. Show this movie to someone who thinks all anime are cutsie movies, and watch their jaw drop to the floor and say "wow."