Ninja Wars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ninja Wars Reviews

December 13, 2010
Crazy evil magic, martial arts action, heads exchanged from one body to another, and did I mention there's ninjas as well?

This one is a lot of wild fun, give it a look.
½ June 17, 2010
All I have to say is that these Japanese fantasy Samurai films are some crazy shit. Though I am not a huge fan of Hong Kong fantasy, there is something about these Japanese fantasy flicks that I love. Perhaps it's because they are a little more violent and far less flamboyant than their Hong Kong counterparts. Ninja Wars (aka Black Magic Wars) sure does deliver and offers up some 10s on the "what the fuck" meter.

The plot is your basic love story but it has a shit ton of crazy shit to muck that simple plot element up. We have a rich Japanese bastard who wants a certain woman and to rule the kingdom. He asks an evil sorcerer for help and the sorcerer sends some of his own sorcerer minions out to capture the woman's twin in order to use her tears to make a love potion (in a spider teapot no less!), or something like that. They capture the twin when she is out having a grand 'ol time with her ninja boyfriend while she runs through a forest, and I kid you not, starts cutting down trees with some light from her finger tips. That's another point for the what the fuck meter! The sorcerers kidnap her by, get this, having one of them spew yellow puke that hardens on her boyfriends face. Chalk another one up on the what the fuck meter! The plot then goes even more crazy as they cut off the girls heads (with a fountain of blood!) and switch them. They eventually get the love potion made but one of the girls escapes with it and the rest of the plot is the sorcerers trying to get her and the potion pack while her boyfriend tries to keep her safe.

I had a wonderful time with all the wild fantasy elements from spewing yellow puke, flying sorcerers, bloody decapitations, to super fast climbing ninja but the plot is just a little convoluted and sometimes hard to follow. The love aspect is easy enough but the rest of the plot seems better left not questioning and just enjoying the film from a visual aspect. Sometimes his girlfriend is the impostor, sometimes she isn't. There's also a ninja battle at a castle but to be completely honest I'm not sure the reason why it occurred. No I'm not drunk, the film just doesn't have good flow to the plot despite it being centered around an aspect that is very simple, which is love. Thankfully we also have some nice stylistic directing to keep the eccentric plot moving.

Despite its plot problems I still enjoyed the hell out of this wild Samurai fantasy. Where else can you see flying yellow puke, bloody be-headings and a cursed spider teapot? Fans of this sort of cinema will definitely find many aspects to like.

Bonus Rant: I obtained this film in a DVD set called "The Sonny Chiba Collection" but I find that label on this film a little misleading. He is in the film but his role is so incredibly small that he is uncredited! His role also really served no importance to the plot and he could have easily been left out. I thought it was a stretch including the film Legend of the Eight Samurai in the set as Chiba was only a secondary character in that film but this is ridiculous!
½ April 29, 2009
Ninja Wars (1984)

The nonsensical story line for this movie is off the hook. Lord Donjo (Akira Nakao) has the hots for his Brother's Wife, Princess Ukio (Noriko Watanabe). When an over-the-top evil sorcerer, Kashin Koji (Mikio Narita) prophesies that the man who marries Princess Ukio will rule the world, well, that just about decides that.

Kashin sends out his four devil monk assassins to kidnap Princess Ukio's twin sister Kagaribi, who's tears, mixed inside of a special spider tea kettle, will help to make a love potion that will make the Princess fall in love with Lord Donjo.

Kagaribi is a young ninja in training with a handsome Jotaro Fuefuki (Hiroyuki Sanada). They are star-crossed lovers. When Kagaribi is kidnapped, Jotaro goes after her with a vengeance. From there, the story goes crazy with Kashin's men chopping off Kagaribi's head and exchanging it with the body of one of Lord Donjo's servants. Well, they're using magic, okay?

Shinzaemon Yagyu (Sonny Chiba) isn't in this movie for very much, but there are some great sword and naginata fighting scenes, off the wall wire-work, and some nudity. This movies has a reasonably big budget, but it does come off as good cheesy fun. You should find this movie bundled with other Chiba movies in the bargain bin.
½ December 6, 2008
Interesting flick. I love seeing Sonny Chiba in his ninja and samurai outfits doing all he does best, kicking ass! Either with his fighting style or the sword, especially the sword. Not bad.
½ March 18, 2007
Okay Martial Arts Fans here is a winner. Lots of action, jam packed in adventure and fight scenes, a carry over from earlier ninja films.
½ November 20, 2014
A much better movie than the lame title would indicate full of crazy ninjas, evil magic, evil immortal monks, and a guy who kills by projectile vomiting on you (it hardens and suffocates you see?) , if you enjoy craziness you'll like this.
June 28, 2012
A hard movie to talk about. Two girls swap heads, a monk pukes yellow liquid that kills you and a female assassin gets her head chopped off and it flies through the air. Sonny Chiba is barely in it. It's reasonably entertaining.
December 13, 2010

This one is a lot of wild fun, give it a look.
½ June 17, 2010

½ January 10, 2010
I would give it 5 stars, but the dubbing was just... terrible. I loved the movie. The Devil Monks were cool, The Fight scenes were well coordinated, and the characters were interesting, but the voice acting was awful. Now, I'm sure in japanese the performances were WAY better, and I wouldn't mind seeing a subbed version. In all this is a very good movie, and if you like the genre I'd give it a watch.
½ January 9, 2010
A really good sunny chiba movie and one of the wierder ones i've seen . orignal story with some real wierd powers and odd moments . just kinda wish the dubbing was better but that just added some unitenal comedy .
November 24, 2009
ITS SO NICE. I LIKE ACTION MOVIES.
½ June 3, 2009
Some great creative action, amazing visuals (especially for the time) and unique villains. I'd be shocked if this was a lot of the inspiration for Ninja Scroll (which is also quite awesome).
½ April 29, 2009
Ninja Wars (1984)

½ April 4, 2009
plot was silly but having hiroyuki in it was more than worthwhile! ^-^
½ December 6, 2008
September 14, 2008
Sonny Chiba & Henry Sanada make this one of their best ninja movies ever.
½ April 29, 2008
I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around it
½ March 19, 2008
Totally the most confusing movie I have ever watched
December 29, 2007
This movie is just awesome! I went into thinking it was going to be pretty cheesy (since the cover was so terrible...and I admit I judge movies by their covers...) but I ended up enjoying it a lot! I especially liked it when they switched those twos girls heads. That was just cool. And of course, Hiroyuki Sanada is all young and sexy in this. SWEET!