RT on DVD: Call It, Friend-O -- No Country For Old Men Hits DVD

Summary

The critically-acclaimed, Oscar-winning No Country For Old Men comes to DVD this week, accompanied by a litany of fellow Fresh films (Lake of Fire, Summer Palace, Dan in Real Life) as well as a gaggle of critical duds (Hitman, Bee Movie, August Rush, and more). Back to Article

Comments

Paints Hz Shirt Red

krookedlegs Eagle Tail

hitman was aweful. i think i liked doom better. as far as the movies go anyway. i hope when, or should i say if they make a halo movie theyll actually put some effort into it. havent seen ncfom yet but i cant wait.

Mar 10 - 04:27 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Im definately getting NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (Best movie in years), I cant lie im gonna rent HITMAN (could be fun), and im gonna reant DAN IN REAL LIFE which im looking foward to. Im looking foward for SOUTHLAND TALES next week.

Mar 10 - 05:11 PM

FireflyFan4evr

Steven Johnson

I don't like double dipping (or triple / quadruple dipping), but quality films like No Country For Old Men are the ones I'm willing to get twice (I've only done that for about four or five other movies in my 350 DVD library)- besides, how many times are you going to watch the special features?

Mar 10 - 10:19 PM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

WHAT PEOPLE LIKED ABOUT THIS DEPRESSING, TASTELESS, GOING-NOWHERE (and going there slowly) MOVIE like "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN" IS STILL BEYOND ME.
Even Khavier BOREdom's stoic crappy acting got all the critics all "hooh and haah"... when all he did was say his lines stoically and as if he was having constipation for the whole movie.
Poor in taste indeed are the people who follow and believe what these narcisstic critics are excited about.

Mar 11 - 04:50 AM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

BESIDES, Khavier BOREdom's deplorable character and that whole crappy movie is located in 1980's era, right? Good.
Because that coward/women-murdering maniac would have his ARSE handed to him, by any 12 year old hoodlum in any nieghborhood, in any place--- if that coward BOREdom's character was hanging out, in thier nieghborhood, outside the 1980's.

Mar 11 - 05:17 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Dan in Real Life was good. No Country for Old Men was very good and that's not just an opinion I developed by following critics' opinions. I saw the movie twice in the theater and liked it even better the second time.

Mar 11 - 05:33 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Oh and I didn't think Hitman was that bad. I don't know the video game that it was based off of, but as far as video game based movies have gone so far, I thought it was ok, I'd put it ahead of Doom, but behind Silent Hill. Yeah I know Silent Hill was nothing great, but there was an atmosphere to that movie that I liked, and some of the effects were well done. Video game movies in general are still towards the bottom of the heap though.

Mar 11 - 05:40 AM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

TO ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN "NO COUNTRY" YET:

Don't believe the crazed media hype and worship of the Critics towards this movie. It's a terrible, useless and tasteless movie with deplorable characters. In essence it is simply a chase movie (a bad one at that too), and it shows 3 main characters locked into thier roles with no logic, morality or care. Contrary to what Critics would have you believe, there is ZERO character development. The 3 characters just seem to ubsurdely keep on chasing each others tails, SPEAKING CRAP and useless RUBBISH all the while, when doing that. Where does all this lead to?

To a most DOWNER ending, which has the Bad, coward, deplorable villain hailed and worshipped by all critics, who seem to dance joyfully on the immorality of it all-- after the 'bad guy character' kills the grieving widow of the main character, just for fun.

If you like deplorably immorality plus illogical, unhuman, unjust characters and you like movies whose plot goes nowhere in the end, this movie might work for you.

I, for one, have yet to meet more than 2 people who saw the movie in the theatre and didn't feel cheated and that this film is all unjustified praise from critics--- without any substance or content to back it up.

Mar 11 - 08:27 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yo shut up... NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is a classic flawless movie, you see when you watch this you use something called youre brain.

Mar 11 - 04:42 PM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

Wrong grammer there in the comment above: Here's the correction:
"I, for one, have YET to meet ANY people who saw the movie in the theatre and did NOT feel cheated by this film, and that this film is all unjustified praise from critics--- without any substance or content to back it up."

...is what I meant to say (in the above comment).

Matter of fact, speaking with seven people at my workplace, only one of them found the movie entertaining, but even HE thought the DOWNER, bogus ending took the AIR out of this whole big BALLOON, and left and ugly feeling hanging all over the place.

Mar 11 - 08:34 AM

MizuNoHane

Justin Chau

Jeanpaul, you need to realize that no matter how much you or your peers dislike a movie, it's probably an unwise idea to try spoiling it, denouncing its reviewers' opinions and attacking its merits on a site that judges a film's merit BY THE REVIEWS IT RECEIVES.
And secondly: shouldn't you be working right now?

Mar 11 - 09:39 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Oh jeanpaul. So much hatred for No Country. I'd like to know what films you do like! Let's start some positive dialogue here. Give me a peek into your cinematic psyche.

Mar 11 - 10:02 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Don't bother, Jen. JeanPaul is a borderline troll who believes that every movie should be morally upright and have no gore or, near as I can tell, any sense of conflict. Don't even get him started on movies like Saw or Hostel.

Mar 11 - 10:11 AM

thetruebastard

bart barker

Bardem's character was not completely stoic you moron. He showed vulnerability particularly during the car crash sequence.

But even so, your analysis is retardedly amazing, jeanpaul. It sounds like you're criticizing an actor for ... playing the part? "He was being stoic and his character was written as stoic ... I'm so ****ing angry GRRRRRRRRRROOOWLLLLL!!!!!"

Mar 11 - 10:57 AM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

AHH... name calling from Ahron and truebastard (I really can't insult you when you agree in being what you are, trueB).
I truely believe that the ONLY way to knock some morality into your type, Ahsron, is to knock it into you PHYSICALLY. But now, here's the truth, as I'v seen it countless times, Ashron:
If say, you were NOT hiding behind your computer (I can see know why you'd admire the deplorable and coward character from "NO Country"), and I were to be in your face, you'd probably be pissing in your pants, seeing this "borderline troll" which is me.

Thing is, if THAT were to happen, you'd really begin to appreciate issues of morality and care for weaker people, which you, no doubt, missed in your education thru life.
Thing is, looking at me, PHYSICALLY standing before you, you'd actually thank God that HE did instill in me a sense of morality and care for weaker people, which you so seriously lack.

But then, for someone like you, who worships sadistic/nihilistic and twisted films like "Saw"/"Hostel", this is common knowledge, isin't it?

Mar 11 - 11:24 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Geez, I'm not even sure where to begin.

1. I find it amusing that you feel in order to instill morality into someone it has to be beaten into them. That says a lot about you.
2. The only reason I'm hiding behind my computer is because it's the only way to communicate in this forum. I'd be more than happy to discuss with you in person if that were possible.
3. How do you know I'd be pissing my pants? Are you that physically imposing? How do you know I'm not a 6'5" 250 pound behemoth with a black belt in Karate? (I'm not, I'm 5'8", 170 lbs, and know just enough martial arts to hurt myself, but you didn't know that before I told you.) See it's just as easy for you to spout threats from behind your computer too.
4. I donate to Amnesty International and Special Olympics twice a year, so I think I have some compassion for those weaker than me.
5. This is going to be the big shocker. [b]I didn't like No Country for Old Men[/b] I didn't like the characters or the bleak ending, although I admire the filmmakers for their ability to put me through the wringer like they did. And I thought Javier Bardem did an outstanding job at playing the total blank character that he played, which I imagine was the director's intention. So on this movie we agree. I also agree that Gone Baby Gone deserved some recognition. Haven't seen the others.
6. I don't worship the Saw/Hostel movies. I thought Saw was pretty good and had an intriguing story, Saw 2 had some decent parts, but 3 was horrible and I won't even bother with 4. Hostel was just downright bad.

So see, there are a lot of things we see eye to eye on. My reason for calling you a borderline troll is that you always seem to throw your opinion at people as if it's the only one that matters and anyone who disagrees with you isn't worth your time, which is pretty much what you did to Jen in your reply to her above. It's your tone. If you offered your opinion of NCFOM in a civil way, saying you don't understand the fuss, that would be different than coming out swinging with ALL CAPS and basically saying that anyone who liked this movie is nihilistic sinner who's going to hell for liking something that was morally compromised. Liking a movie and condoning the behavior in it are a far cry apart. I loved Goodfellas, but that doesn't mean I want to be a gangster or agreed with what they did. You need to quit generalizing.

I could go on, but I have to take a sick computer to the Apple store, so I have to go. It's great that you have opinions and feel strongly about them, just work on how you express them. And remember, people aren't defined totally by the movies they like/dislike.

Mar 11 - 01:49 PM

jaredisme

jared burnworth

i'm going to try to dissect and answer jeanpaul's criticism as tastefully and tactfully as possible - nah, what a weiner....

Mar 11 - 12:04 PM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

OK, now that I've got that out of the way, let me address the somewhat more civil comments out here:
Jen Yamato:
You ask which films I like. Here's a list of a few that were FAR MORE DESERVING this year than that Monumental piece-of-crap that is "No Country"
(the quoting from negetive reviews also explains WHY). None of these films were even looked at by the "condencending descision makers" in the piece of crap ceremonies:
"Gone Baby Gone" (could the idiots at the Academy be big enough to RE-aknowledge Ben Affleck and look beyond thier hatred to him), "Zodiac", "Lars and the real girl", "Into the wild", "American Gangster", "In the valley of Elah"-- name but a few.
My taste may not be perfect. I don't imply it that it is, but I know this:
Our tastes are on opposite horizons. When it comes down to it, I probably love all the movies you look down at. And I fail to see how you could ever like any bogus movie like "No Country".

For instance, you said, you couldn't figure out if JOHN RAMBO was "pro or anti war"... Only if you CHOSE to ignore the 3 sequels before the fourth installment, and only if you CHOSE to ignore what the character stands for/sybolifies throughout these movies or SAYS in these movies-- or alternatively, only if the speakers in your theater were not working--- could such a question filter into your thoughts.
Come down to it, such movies are automatically cancelled by you, and you chose to focus on dilemas that wouldn't be there if you'd payed attention or, subsequently, cared.

Leave that, it would be a HUMID day in Antarctica before we'd agree.
Coming back to "No country", there were a few NEGATIVE reviews in a sea of reviews worshipping and hailing this movie, like there's no tommorow.
Thing is (try it) the negative reviews have a more honest RING OF TRUTH to them than all the thousands of falling-all-over-themselves reviews:

The best and most compelling of them states: I quote here from Marcy Dermansky (About.com):
"Yet, the characters who populate the screen are not recognizable or particularly empathetic. While No Country For Old Men is compelling from beginning to end, the film lacks soul."

If a movie "LACKING SOUL" is not a bid deal for you, I guess nothing I could say would persuade you. I myself, like the characters I admire to have souls, and the movies I pay for to have souls too. It's kind of a BASIC thing for me.
Another quote with a 'feel of truth' to it comes from Washingtonpost.com reviewer, Stephen Hunter who says:
"No Country for Old Men" then vigorously subverts the convention. It's meant to be "ironic," with that big capital I. Instead it's unsatisfying, with a capital U. Nobody goes to the movies for the irony. They go for the satisfaction.

I second that too.
I don't go into the movies to have my face "rubbed into irony", for the twisted pleasure of the filmmakers. I certainly don't have to pay for this crap. I think I'm healthier than that, and so are most people.

Mar 11 - 12:05 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is soulless, its pin point perfect with biblical referances and has so much amazing symbolism. Every scene is great, the movie flows perfectly with great performances, dialogue, direction, cimentography, sound editing, sound mixing, and has probably the best shoo out in a long time... I dont know much about movies, but that sounds like a CLASSIC film to me, and I think lots of people hear will back that up.

Mar 11 - 04:47 PM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

MizoNoHane, IF you were 'angry' at my comments before, this one is going to blow you "straight out of the water":

I'd be working when YOU would be working. Right?

OUCH. That one was way close to below the belt.
But then, you should had seen that one coming from a mile off.

Mar 11 - 12:16 PM

MizuNoHane

Justin Chau

Haha jeanpaul, I'm a college student. I don't work :)

Mar 12 - 10:17 AM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

As for the heading of this article, here is my ANSWER to it:
"Call it, Friend-O"?

Yeah, I call it. I call it a:
*MONUMENTAL PIECE OF CRAP.
*ALL FALSE PRAISE, NO DAMN SUBSTANCE.
-ALL HYPE, NO SOUL.

If you have any sense, don't waste you money on this DVD.
You'd be dissapointed, like the many rest of us, who are still trying to figure out how the critics succeeding in "taking us for a ride" with this one.

Mar 11 - 12:22 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Geez, I'm not even sure where to begin.

Mar 11 - 01:49 PM

DivineCC

Bill Pyle

Jeanpaul,
Don't you have better things to do than come on here and e-argue with people who liked a movie you didn't? Newsflash: No matter what you say, you're not going to change anyone's opinion whatsoever. All you're going to do is make the people who liked the movie gang up on you and make you leave. Grow up, find a hobby or a job. Anything is better than wasting your time trolling the internet.

Mar 11 - 02:01 PM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

Thank you once again, for your priceless physciatric advice, Dr. divinecc.
How much do I owe you for the session this time? Or is your advice for free?

Thank you for your deep concern, sir, but I happen to have a job (Computer graphics) and I am an amatuer Comics artist (hobby), but none of these are as FUN as counter-reacting to your opinions out here.

To that, man, nothing compares.

Mar 11 - 03:18 PM

<em>The Simpsons</em>
The Simpsons

Catch up on 25 seasons of hilarity

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank