30 for 30 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

30 for 30 Reviews

October 14, 2012
Interesting documentary on the assault trial of Allen Iverson one of the NBA's most controversial stars of all-time. Before he was even a star at Georgetown Iverson was the center of racial controversy in the small city of Hampton, New Jersey. Tried for an assault on a young white woman during a fight in a bowling alley Iverson was convicted and served his sentence (which many though was to lenient and others too tough) before becoming the star that we remember him as today. Interesting for sports fans but not so much for others.
August 26, 2011
deep, hard story of a very uncomfortable subject. and personal too, that I didn't expect. It's about a white guy trying to understand not just a controversy but what all these 'black person problems' are all about. In a good way. I also loved that the film didn't paint Iverson as some saint. There's a LOT of gray area about the whole case, and by the end no one can really be sure of anything, except that ultimately Iverson's rising star got him both in prison and out by the same coin. His other co-horts... not so lucky.
½ July 14, 2010
Reflective and thoughtful analysis of racial tensions in Hampton, VA during Allen Iverson's trial. A great companion piece to Hoop Dreams.
August 7, 2014
Good life background on iverson
½ January 3, 2013
You learn a lot about his life and the community he came up from. It wasn't too interesting for me.
October 14, 2012
August 26, 2011
July 16, 2011
Interesting look into the rise and fall of Allen Iverson in his hometown before his NBA career. His talent made him a local celebrity before he'd even reached college but a brawl in a bowling alley threatened to cut his career painfully short. This doc looks at how his alleged violent attack on a white woman ignited the already-tense race relations in the region. The execution is fairly standard, talking heads with archive film footage, those looking for some sweet Iverson b-ball skilss will be dissapointed, this is not about ahowing his highlight reel. It's more about the politics and social issues in a small corner of America. Its well told so the main thing that affects your enjoyment is how interested you are in the topic. I found it to be a quite balanced view of modern racism (filmed by a white man) that was a little overlong. Still worth watching if you can find it.
½ February 24, 2011
No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson (Dir:Steve James) Julgamento de um jogador de basquete revela a hipocrisia racial nos EUA. Bom doc.
½ October 10, 2010
Bra och välgjord sportdokumentär med fokus på rasmotsättningar i USA.
½ July 14, 2010
June 27, 2010
I liked this a lot and enjoyed the hints of a conspiracy theory. Explains a ton about Allen.