No End (Bez konca) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No End (Bez konca) Reviews

March 14, 2012
Mesmerising, if only for the performance by Grazyna Szapolowska as the widow who moves through the film and ignites every scene. Beautiful and tragic at once she emanates power over the audience and one cannot turn away. I had not realised how much this film must have influenced some established mainstream films that we assume to be original. Obviously many of them owe a great debt to this story. Told unflinchingly by Kieslowski in a unshowy manner it still demonstrates moments of brilliant insights into the human condition. The pain and torture we must endure after such heartache runs through the the heart of this film. I particularly liked the little moments as always, such as the glass slipping through her fingers, the dog trying to get in the car, the dirt on her hands from the bumper whilst witnessing the accident, the hypnotherapy session where she sees him. All simple and yet so elegant. No hammering it through to the audience with big signposting saying 'Remember this for later!'. Why don't more films treat the audience with a tiny bit more intelligence or is the majority of film going to assume we are all thick. And just because a film is mainstream doesn't mean it has to be low brow.
½ June 15, 2010
I'm too young to understand and judge if the choice of the heroin at the last scene is right, but that particular cut (one long take) is breathtakingly cinematic. In many ways, this is a controversial and unforgettable film.
½ October 18, 2015
bummer theater but very engaging
September 16, 2012
Don't expect straight-up sci-fi, but don't leave "No End" as hung up on a left-leaning high-five. Kieslowski is a master of dreamy camerawork and hypnotic center, and he ultimately ends things in an explosion of light. Because sometimes brighter stars can kill the moonlight, or at least pull it out of focus for a while. And then when you're not looking, it drowns you and swallows everything and everyone surrounding.
January 16, 2012
Too talky and uncinematic to hold your attention, unfortunately, though there are certainly some stylish touches and good performances. For Kieslowski completists only.
½ December 22, 2011
The ghost of the husband she lost haunts her while the trial he was working on is being handled by an older lawyer. Its a depressing film with very few happy moments in it.
November 11, 2011
Catches the attention from beginning to end.
½ February 24, 2011
Another of polish director Krzyztof Kewslowski's dreadful autentic drama's, this is one of thoose that's to dreadful that I loose interest in this movie, and that's makes it unbearable borring and . It's a story about a women who have lost her husband in a car crash and tries to cope with it, but it does't work. The movies is good, just to good, that's it's bad. Thumbs Down.
December 22, 2010
Not Kieslowskis best, a very depressing & confusing story. Is said to be the precursor to the THREE COLORS: BLUE film, but if I had seen this film 1st, I wouldnt have watched any of the trilogy (& BLUE is one of my absolute fave films of all time.) See it if your a KK fan, skip it if not.
April 14, 2009
The candlelit graveyard flows into the panorama of city lights, the dead now mere pinpricks of light in the passing of time. We observe the mundane artefacts of family life, the routines which still go on though this family's lifestyle has been fractured by the death, a few days ago, of the husband. His ghost watches on, unable to leave, unable to believe in the pain of separation.

Wife and son struggle to cope, to establish their own routines, their own method of coping. They can believe in the pain, they just have to find ways to suppress it. Routines. Keep busy. She has to tidy up her husband's affairs - he was a lawyer, one who had been involved in political cases. This is a Poland about to break out of the stranglehold of Soviet domination, a Poland beginning to assert its own independence and affirm its own political dissonance. Law is political; politics is embodied in law.

The wife has to make decisions about a case her husband had been handling. Can she become involved? Should she trust this political case to an old colleague? And her life goes on, troubled now by the arrival of an old suitor. She is still a very desirable woman, an intelligent woman, an educated woman, a woman with a future, not least in her son. And yet the past haunts and claws at her. She realises how much she loved her husband, how much it hurts to lose him.

And this is a Poland with a future, a Poland which might only find consummation of the future in rediscovering the values of its past and throwing off the cloak of bereavement and widows weeds in which it is shrouded. And this is a legal system which has values, which can argue and assess, not simply process.

A beautifully worked piece, emotional, forthright, intense. Kieslowski's world, here, has none of the glamour of the 'Three Colours'. This is a plain, bland world, where decisions have to be made, and where the oppression of the little decisions can be as significant as the political and legal denial of the right to make decisions or follow conscience. This is an absorbing narrative into which you are drawn and with which you can sympathise - a film you can watch again and again and absorb different nuances.

The DVD is excellent, with highly informative interviews and the bonus of a Kieslowski documentary. Excellent value.
December 30, 2009
Krzysztof Kieslowski's regular socially-committed theme, adding with more obvious fictional & dramatic elements. There are inspiring moments still, the brief but very reflective court scene for example.
½ September 1, 2010
...kieslowski aliskanlik yapiyor..
½ July 27, 2010
Very political (at least in comparison to his other movies) and shot in the washed out look that graces Kieslowski's earlier movies. The dual plots of mourning and imprisonment weave effortlessly together and make a brilliantly haunting film. Ignore the comments about the politics being confusing. I know very little of early 80s Polish politics, and I picked up what was going on very easily.
July 4, 2010
Haunting, more political than the director's other work and flawed in a technical way here and there. But I still liked it, particularly the first bit. Ending felt a bit inevitable. Kinda saw this on my quest to see everything Kieslowski did and it's not to Decalogue standards but solid and interesting.
January 28, 2010
One of my least favorite Kieslowski films. The politics were very confusing to me, I was far more interested in the deceased husband and his family. I'm sure there's supposed to be some kind of connection between the stories/themes but I'm afraid it was lost on me. Maybe you've got to be Polish to get it.
½ September 28, 2009
The only Kieslowski film I've seen that I was almost totally uninterested in.
½ June 26, 2009
Kieslowski's cerebral drama about spirit and death shows a 30+ woman, Ulla, who just lost her lawyer husband in a car accident but still sees his spirit everywhere. On the other part of the story, another woman is trying to get her husband out of a prison who is charged for raising political arguments and who was being helped by the now-dead lawyer. Ulla desperate to move into a life with her child, seeks medication from a psychotherapist. All went in vain unless she reunites with her husband...A poignant tale.
June 1, 2009
Kieslowski's "No End" is a fairly basic story about a woman who loses her husband, and about a man who seeks freedom from imprisonment. Both are seeking a freedom, but one is told it's possible, the other is told it's not. The woman can be free of her thoughts and feelings for her husband (by way of hypnotism), but the man cannot emerge from his trial a winner. However, through a strange twist of reality, the characters find out that they were incorrectly informed, and it costs one of their lives.
Kieslowski's impressive camerawork, as seen in his Three Colors Trilogy, is somewhat lessened, but still very evident. His ability to show us what we might normally look at, instead of something highly important, brings the world to life. The dialogue is at times simple, but at others highly complicated and difficult to follow. But overall, the story and meaning is not lost, but rather brilliantly available through images and dialogue together. Zbignew Preisner's amazing score carefully underscores the emotions of the characters in the film without overbearing our ears with the his haunting melodies.