14% No Good Deed Sep 12

89% Outlander: Season 1
46% Reckless: Season 1

For No Good Reason Reviews

September 13, 2014
This was not a film for me. I don't find Hunter S. Thompson, Johnny Depp, or Ralph Steadman's careers that fascinating. They all have an air of self-importance that seem to be a turn off for me.
June 12, 2014
Ralph Steadman, the pen-and-ink wielding madman who was Mutt to gonzo-journalist Hunter S. Thompson's Jeff, gets his very own documentary salute in this film spearheaded by fan and friend Johnny Depp. Though parts of the film that don't focus on his process of creating his surreal, politically and socially charged cartoons bog things down some, the film is still an electrifying portrait of a pure provocateur.
June 4, 2014
First I'll say the main negative was in one or two of the background music choices, especially I think the 2nd one where even the volume was too loud over Ralph's voice, but overall I highly recommend seeing it if: 1) you're a fan of art and want to see how Ralph creates his paintings, 2) you're a fan of Hunter Thompson and want to know more about how he and Ralph interacted and influenced each other, 3) you're interested in people who try to change the world for the better and how lack of change can make them feel their very existence was ... for no good reason.
mark d.
June 2, 2014
Six years after narrating Gonzo, Alex Gibney's documentary about wild man of the typewriter Hunter S Thompson, Johnny Depp no less enthusiastically hosts this portrait of Thompson's accomplice in the creation of Gonzo journalism - British artist Ralph Steadman. Late in the film, Steadman airs his regret that he hasn't yet convinced the world to see him as an artist rather than a cartoonist - but it's a failing that the film corrects, showing Steadman at work, building up his images from ink splashes, through layers of spraying, scribbling, scratching, erasing. If this process - suggestive of a hybrid between George Grosz and Jackson Pollock - isn't art as much as cartooning, heaven knows what is.

Containing some terrific archive material of the younger, goateed Steadman on the road, Charlie Paul's film gives a historical overview of his adventures and achievements with and without Thompson, eventually offering some sad evidence of the prickliness of the duo's relationship. Even if we don't quite get to know the man, the visionary violence of Steadman's acid pen emerges to vivid effect, partly though Kevin Richards's animations, and despite Depp's sometimes over-eager respect.
April 4, 2014
A modern, classy film.
j j.
April 28, 2014
loved it! seen it twice now.
spatter g.
April 28, 2014
WHAT A MOVIE! I can't believe that it took 2 years to make it to the theaters!
scottfrench2
April 23, 2014
Nicely made, solid documentary. Must-see for fans, but the uninitiated might feel out of place.
gizmo c.
August 1, 2013
I freaking loved this doc. An amazing mix of funny and tragic and so visually inventive. The animations add a real flavour to the film and Depp is suitable reverential
March 13, 2014
This movie is quirky and hectic in parts, filled with rambling thoughts and controversial topics.

This film has a timeless feeling of heavy morality, of an era long past and yet, still so relevant today. You delve deep into the mind of Ralph Steadman, a Gonzo writer, graphic and cartoon artist, an author of revelatory books and creative story teller... all told through the eyes of both Johnny Depp and Steadman himself.

This biography helps people of our generation understand what it was like to fight for freedoms we clearly take for granted today, like open and accepted political freedom of speech, and one man's lifelong struggle to change the world through his art.
March 3, 2014
A solid documentary that would have better without Johnny Depp.