No Highway in the Sky Reviews

August 16, 2011
Despite what my old man will tell you, No Highway in the Sky is not a great movie. It's got a great cast and the story had some potential to be a real potboiler but it just kind of turns into Jimmy Stewart trying to do something different and doing a pretty good job at it. Marlene Dietrich plays herself and at times I felt like I was watching Harvey without a lot of the humor and the invisible rabbit. When I got done watching No Highway in the Sky I started wondering why Jimmy Stewart wasn't better known for this movie. The more I think about it, the less I wonder...
jjnxn
March 17, 2008
The cast is MUCH better then the story deserves.
February 6, 2010
(Some mild spoilers.) The first half of this movie is absolutely fascinating, and seems to be set up as a Hitchcockian closed-room suspense... then that suspenseful moment ends and we're in the middle of a very different movie that's far less interesting than it was at first. Not to mention it ends on possible the least ending-like note ever. However, Jimmy Stewart is worth watching all the way through. He's completely charming as a geeky, socially awkward scientist. It's not a bad movie, it's just not what it could have been.
½ September 28, 2008
I really enjoyed this movie. Jimmy Stewart gives a wonderful performance, and Glynis Johns is too adorable for words.
½ February 16, 2015
.......

Glynnis johns character wastoo accomodating
Marlene dietrich too understanding
June 11, 2014
Good cast in talky drama.
½ May 25, 2011
An amazing cast only to be hindered by a rather mediocre story. There are simply not a lot at stake considering a plane is supposedly about to crash. It's based on a story of sorts but I wish the director would have taken liberties to change to story a bit to suit the screen better.
January 3, 2011
on the order of the shop around the corner, stewart, et al., do a superb job of delivering pathos, drama, and comedy in well gently scripted film.
stewarts' charcater's eccentricities take a little getting used too, but once that's behind you the story plays out exceptionally well.
what pleased me most was like, shop around the corner, the ensemble was the real star of the production.
also, the courteousness and consideration the characters shown throughtout piece is a far cry from the almost routine crass, foul mouthed behavior seen today; even when they are supposed to like each other.
their world of cinema was a far better place.
a quiet little piece of cinema worth preserving.
½ November 4, 2010
No Highway in the Sky is about real people. James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich worked well together. The screenplay is well written. Henry Koster did a great job directing this film. I enjoyed this movie because of the amazing characters. No Highway in the Sky is a must see.
July 26, 2010
If I?m going to be meeting my maker, I?d like to know about it

Theodore Honey is an aviation scientist that has never flown in an airplane. He studies planes that have crashed and analyzes the rationale for the accident. On his first flight he quickly discovers that he has studied his plane after a recent accident in Europe. He believes based on the length of the trip and the altitude of the plane his flight will crash. Upon relaying this information to the flight attendant and captain, they believe he is crazy. Will Honey be right or is he just nervous during his first flight?

?I guess you multiplied some place you should have divided.?

Henry Koster, director of The Singing Nun, The Story of Ruth, Harvey, The Robe, First Love, The Bishop?s Wife, and Peter, delivers No Highway in the Sky. The storyline for this picture is interesting and well delivered but the characters were more captivating than the actual plot. The acting was first rate and the cast included James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich.

?I liked the one where you killed your husband.?
?Oh yes, I liked that one too.?

I am a huge James Stewart fan and try to catch as many of his pictures as possible. I happened to come across this film on television and had to see it. The overall plot was a bit disappointing but the main character was wonderful. It was also interesting to see how Dietrich?s character would ultimately tie-in with Stewart?s character. Overall, this is another worthwhile Stewart film that is definitely worth your time.

?Science is in no hurry.?

Grade: B+
½ December 30, 2003
One of the best movies you'll ever see. The scenes with Jack Hawkins, Jimmy Stewart and the girl (Janette Scott) playing Stewart's daughter are precious. Marlene Dietrich as a famous actress in very engaging as is Glynis Johns playing an airline stew in the dawning of transatlantic travel after WWII.

Stewart's version of the absorbed scientist/engineer/professor named Mr. Honey is endearing and brings to my mind the female character Miss Honey from the 90's version of Matilda.