97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Noises Off... Reviews

Lucas M

May 6, 2011
Muito engraçado, diversão do inicio ao fim.
puffchunk
puffchunk

March 10, 2008
Drama club people like this type of stuff. Those darn drama club people. The real play was good, but did I really need to see a movie of a play of a play?
Megan S

August 7, 2007
It was cute. It wasn't as horrible as I had heard it was. I do agree that it doesn't translate as well on screen. Go see the live version it is absolutely hilarious.
Byron B

February 4, 2007
I can't imagine how this play is accomplished on live stage (and it is). Well I have seen a live theater version of this play now, and I still can't imagine the talent necessary to make it as successful as the movie. A miscast character can ruin quite a few scenes and it is hard to get the entrances and exits as snappy as this appears 'cause there is the benefit of cutting the film. The ensemble cast in this movie is outstanding. And I can't praise the TIMING of the action and dialog enough! This is THE farce to end all farces!
David S

November 15, 2010
Well, you can't accuse the cast for not putting the effort into this one. The whole thing is so fast paced it leaves you exhausted. Unfortunately that means that a lot of film is just exhausting as opposed to hilarious. Perhaps something got lost in translation from stage to screen but this doesn't quite work. Saying that it is still very entertaining and the 2nd act harks back to the silent movie days and has some great physical comedy. Out of the ensemble cast it is John Ritter and Christopher Reeve who shine the most, with Ritter doing a great Austin Powers accent years before Mike Myers got there!
Over the Rising Sun
Over the Rising Sun

July 28, 2010
Ludicrously hilarious; a slapstick comedy that at first doesn't seem that funny, then progressively layers itself until you can't stop laughing.

The dialogue is awkward and some of the situations are absurd; this was a play before it became a movie, so if you treat it like a play, then it automatically becomes funnier.

A strong lead from Michael Caine and good supporting stage actors and actresses (most notably John Ritter).

The lowest form of humor in the evolutionary chain but still funny. 75/100
Anastasia B

March 25, 2008
'Noises off' echoes the phenomenological concern: "theatre is a live event, so anything can go wrong!" And it does! There are extreme moments of comedic brilliance in this film, particularly the "silent" battle backstage. The actors and actresses give us a frenetic performance while props and costumes fly all over the place. The only problem is how "staged" the whole effort seems- even Michael Caine's voice over. Peter Bogdanovich, who has done his best directorial work in the 70's does not fully live up to the expectations of the amazing material he has in his hands in the form of Michael Frayn's play.
Audrey L

November 17, 2007
Hard to find hilarious comedy,borrowing from Shakespeare's concept of a play within a play.Excellent cast includes Michael Caine.

This is one of the most hysterically funny movies I've ever seen.I honestly laughed so hard,and so often I thought I was going to have a cardiac event.

An unbelievable ensemble cast,and guarenteed to make you howl.
iLeo
iLeo

January 13, 2008
Great, very funny!
November 11, 2013
Very conflicted thoughts on this one. Despite featuring a remarkable cast that absolutely nails the script with their delivery, it is abundantly clear that this was never meant to be done as anything but live theater. It is virtually uncinematic in about every way possible in a way that is almost irritating.
I frequently found myself laughing very hard. I just wanted so much for it to be live in front of me.
sublime203
January 24, 2011
One of the funniest scripts ever. I've taken the rating down one star because the play is superior -- let's face it, the play's about English people... not Americans playing English people.
shootingstar6000
April 29, 2009
Love it! It's what I consider to be on of Michael Caine's funniest movies. A must-see for theatre buffs, and a good laugh for those who aren't.
January 8, 2009
When I was younger I wanted to see this only because I recognized John Ritter on the cover as the "guy from three's company" because I loved that show. I enjoyed this as a kid and recently just watched it again and it was still as funny. It takes a minute to get really funny, but it's cool to see the build up to it.
June 13, 2008
I laughed so hard in the theater that I literally had to stand up in the aisle because my side hurt so bad.
rickyluci
July 28, 2007
This is a movie based on a stage play. It is a great comedy! Great actors! If your local civic play house does this production-IT IS A MUST SEE!
July 12, 2007
A friend recommended this movie, and so I decided to check it out. For the first forty minutes, I found myself thinking, "This is fairly entertaining, but not fantastic." By the end of the movie, however, I had changed my mind. This is one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile. The first half of the movie is mostly setup and some mild chuckles, while the last half is hilariously zany and had me laughing out loud several times. Definitely recommended!
monkeystein
July 1, 2007
This is one of the funnies movies ever made based off of a play. Great performances and just silly nonsense will leave you busting a gut.
June 28, 2007
Hysterical look at a theater company! Great performances by Michael Caine, John Ritter, Christopher Reeve and more.
June 15, 2007
Now this was truely a funny movie from beginning to end. The one section where everything is acted out with out anyone saying a word, is truely actting.
myguitaris
May 17, 2007
Some of the best fast-paced dialogue in a movie. Christopher Reeve gives a brilliant comedic performance.