Noises Off - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Noises Off Reviews

May 6, 2011
Muito engraçado, diversão do inicio ao fim.
puffchunk
½ March 10, 2008
Drama club people like this type of stuff. Those darn drama club people. The real play was good, but did I really need to see a movie of a play of a play?
August 7, 2007
It was cute. It wasn't as horrible as I had heard it was. I do agree that it doesn't translate as well on screen. Go see the live version it is absolutely hilarious.
February 4, 2007
I can't imagine how this play is accomplished on live stage (and it is). Well I have seen a live theater version of this play now, and I still can't imagine the talent necessary to make it as successful as the movie. A miscast character can ruin quite a few scenes and it is hard to get the entrances and exits as snappy as this appears 'cause there is the benefit of cutting the film. The ensemble cast in this movie is outstanding. And I can't praise the TIMING of the action and dialog enough! This is THE farce to end all farces!
November 15, 2010
Well, you can't accuse the cast for not putting the effort into this one. The whole thing is so fast paced it leaves you exhausted. Unfortunately that means that a lot of film is just exhausting as opposed to hilarious. Perhaps something got lost in translation from stage to screen but this doesn't quite work. Saying that it is still very entertaining and the 2nd act harks back to the silent movie days and has some great physical comedy. Out of the ensemble cast it is John Ritter and Christopher Reeve who shine the most, with Ritter doing a great Austin Powers accent years before Mike Myers got there!
Over the Rising Sun
½ July 28, 2010
Ludicrously hilarious; a slapstick comedy that at first doesn't seem that funny, then progressively layers itself until you can't stop laughing.

The dialogue is awkward and some of the situations are absurd; this was a play before it became a movie, so if you treat it like a play, then it automatically becomes funnier.

A strong lead from Michael Caine and good supporting stage actors and actresses (most notably John Ritter).

The lowest form of humor in the evolutionary chain but still funny. 75/100
March 25, 2008
'Noises off' echoes the phenomenological concern: "theatre is a live event, so anything can go wrong!" And it does! There are extreme moments of comedic brilliance in this film, particularly the "silent" battle backstage. The actors and actresses give us a frenetic performance while props and costumes fly all over the place. The only problem is how "staged" the whole effort seems- even Michael Caine's voice over. Peter Bogdanovich, who has done his best directorial work in the 70's does not fully live up to the expectations of the amazing material he has in his hands in the form of Michael Frayn's play.
November 17, 2007
Hard to find hilarious comedy,borrowing from Shakespeare's concept of a play within a play.Excellent cast includes Michael Caine.

This is one of the most hysterically funny movies I've ever seen.I honestly laughed so hard,and so often I thought I was going to have a cardiac event.

An unbelievable ensemble cast,and guarenteed to make you howl.
iLeo
½ January 13, 2008
Great, very funny!
½ February 23, 2016
I remember seeing this one on TV once when I was a kid, and the image of peple running in and out of doors in their underwear stuck with me. And then recently I stumbled onto the trailer and I just had to check out this memory with fresh eyes...and it was pretty funny! Essentially the movie is a farce about the antics of a touring theater group as they attempt to perform their play (which itself is meant to be a farce), but their backstage issues get in the way of the performances. The cast is great, and is pure lunacy. This is the kind of weird little comedy that just goes unnoticed, but kind of deserves a better following.
May 27, 2015
All its jokes might not sway someone not well acquainted with theatre, but either way, it's one darn funny movie with a careful view of relationships between characters.
½ October 18, 2014
This was truly funny movie people that have theatre background would laugh at this. The 2nd half of the movie just couldn't stop laughing!!! Great acting by everyone!! It is slow but fun movie!
October 17, 2014
I want to rate this higher, but after reading through the script for the stage play I felt many of the additions in the movie where unnecessary. It was well done, but I think there is something lost with the camera changing angles and telling us what to focus on when there is so much meant to be going on in this show.
½ May 26, 2014
The sections copied straight from the play are a riot. The ill-advised changes fall flat. Final verdict: See it onstage, not onscreen.
½ May 10, 2014
Though there are elements of the hit stage show that simply can't be translated to screen, this adaption tries it's darndest and comes very close thanks to its skillful camera work and talented cast.
½ November 11, 2013
Very conflicted thoughts on this one. Despite featuring a remarkable cast that absolutely nails the script with their delivery, it is abundantly clear that this was never meant to be done as anything but live theater. It is virtually uncinematic in about every way possible in a way that is almost irritating.
I frequently found myself laughing very hard. I just wanted so much for it to be live in front of me.
½ March 25, 2013
The Farce of Backstage

I've done little theatre, but I have, at that, done a little theatre. Despite the fact that this makes certain scenes funnier to me than to other people, it seems that a lot of theatre people really dislike it. This, I am given to understand, is because this isn't a very good adaptation of the source play. I suppose at some point, I will track down a copy of the play and read it, and then, I will have an opinion. However, for now, it reminds me with pleasure of school and community theatre experiences from when I was in high school. I've done a little bit of acting and a little bit of tech, and I really enjoyed it. Not quite enough to have sought out opportunities to do it as an adult, but enough so that I get quite a lot of jokes in the movie in ways that the average person does not. I guess this manages to make me the movie's ideal audience, being somewhere between average and a Theatre Person.

Lloyd Fellowes (Michael Caine) is the nominal director of the American version of a British farce called [i]Nothing On[/i]. Dotty Otley (Carol Burnett) plays the batty housekeeper, Mrs. Clackett. She is in a relationship with Garry Lejeune (John Ritter), who plays Roger Tramplemaine, who works for the estate agent and who is hoping to sleep with Vicki (Nicollette Sheridan), played by Brooke Ashton, herself sleeping with Lloyd. The house is owned by Philip (Christopher Reeve) and Flavia (Marilu Henner) Brent, played by Frederick Dallas and Belinda Blair, who I'm pretty sure are sleeping with one another all along. The house is being robbed by just some random burglar (Denholm Elliott in his final role), played by deaf and drunk Selsdon Mowbray. The movie starts with the opening on Broadway, but we flash back to the dress rehearsal in Des Moines, a matinee in Miami Beach, and an evening show in Cleveland. However, what's more important than the show is the interactions of the actors.

The matinee in Miami Beach is, hands down, the best part. Lloyd has come down from New York, where he's directing [i]Hamlet[/i] in Queens, because Brooke is threatening to quit. Garry is convinced that Dotty is sleeping with Freddy and is determined to get his revenge. Lloyd needs stage manager Tim Allgood (Mark Linn-Baker) to buy flowers for Brooke, but assistant stage manager Poppy Taylor (Julie Hagerty) thinks they're for her. He also brought a bottle of whiskey, which Selsdon thinks is his. Or ought to be, anyway. So there's an enormous amount of conflict, and it's all taking place backstage. And because it's backstage, and because it's during a show, it's all done in whispers, gestures, and other attempts to prevent the audience from being aware that anything is happening other than the play they've paid to see. Possibly the best part is the reactions of the backstage guard (J. Christopher Sullivan), who doesn't get a single line. Which I suppose means I should be grateful he's credited at all.

To be honest, I've never liked the fact that Lloyd is directing two shows at once, especially given that one is barely above community theatre and one is on its way to Broadway. It doesn't seem fair to either production. I mean, the hope is that [i]Nothing On[/i] can be good enough to really be a success on Broadway, and it's quite clear that the kinks haven't exactly been hammered out in Cleveland, much less by Miami Beach. This isn't much like something that's debuting on Broadway having never been on a proper stage before, something that's going through previews to find out what works and what doesn't. We see a bus ad that says that this has been a London smash hit, so the only possible changes are to Americanize it, and you don't want to do that too much given that it's a proper British farce. However, it's quite clear that the actors need the work. Dotty, who's such an old hand that she's financing the production in part, doesn't even always get her lines right.

To be further honest, I think one of the reasons some theatre people don't much like this production is that actors don't really come across very well in it. This may be true in the original play as well, I admit, and it's true that I don't know. However, there's Garry, who can't talk unless he's scripted. There's Freddy, who's always admitting he's stupid about whatever has come up this time. There's Brooke, who manages to be the dumbest one in the show. And, yes, there's Selsdon the drunk. Come to that, Lloyd is no prince, either. I can understand his frustration, because his actors are pretty much morons. However, he's not very nice to his backstage people, and he needs Tim about as much as anyone. It's a complicated play technically, full of doors and sardines and foley and things, and he needs them to work or else it doesn't matter what's going on in front of the audience. At the dress, Tim is basically said not to have slept for days. Lloyd is still a jerk to him. He isn't even sleeping with Tim.
½ May 6, 2012
Buy it! Such a well done movie. I'm interested in seeing it on stage, but honestly not sure how they'll pull of some of the backstage gags from the movie which are the best. I agree that the beginning is slow, but the second half more than compensates. In fact once you begin rewatching it, you don't even realize how slow it starts. I do agree that the ending is a bit abrupt, but that's probably appropriate.
January 24, 2011
One of the funniest scripts ever. I've taken the rating down one star because the play is superior -- let's face it, the play's about English people... not Americans playing English people.
½ December 21, 2010
As a bit of a stage actor myself, I must say that this show perfectly portrays the madness of backstage, and the madness of on-stage screw-ups. I thought the film was brilliant this way, as a sort of collection of stories of stage-show madness, but since it had to be a cinematic piece, they had to tie in a sloppily put together ending that both I and the main character couldn't explain. Besides the ending though, this movie seemed extremely realistic with a hint of silliness, but that ending really ruined the movie for me.