18% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

None But the Lonely Heart Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
This could have been a great drama, but Grant doesn't give us a great performance, maybe he felt a little too comfortable back at home in England or something? I don't know, but this movie is lacking something, and I found it really boring.
Red L

May 10, 2009
Ernie (played by Cary Grant) has to turn over a new leaf when he learns his mother has cancer. Now that he is stuck in town, he has to deal with making a living and keeping his girlfriend happy. The movie is somewhat depressing as in this era, it is almost impossible to make a living legally, so there is always the lure of illegal activities.
Lanning :

November 13, 2007
The kind of role I wish Grant had tried more often. Not "Cary Grantish," if you know what I mean. A wonderful cast all around, with special praise for Barry Fitzgerald and Jane Wyatt. If only Grant had done more like this, he might have made my all-time favorite actor list. Still, this one is so much more "real" than most of his characters, I might have to rethink putting him on the list. NB: Although this might appear to be coming from a kind of a place of gritty realism, it is very much a fairy tale with an appropriate fairly tale ending. I think there might actually be a paper topic in the way Clifford Odets, the writer-director, plays with the conventional elements of realism and tragedy -- perhaps even of naturalism -- on the journey to a classically (not ha-ha funny) comic ending. Just a beautifully done movie.
Byron B

May 23, 2007
A very different performance from Cary Grant before he developed the persona that made him famous. Overall this movie just bored me.
John B

January 23, 2014
Cary Grant against type is a limit in terms of being believable. His own efforts deserve merits but the rest of the film leaves you a bit wanting.
jam233
September 9, 2009
Cary Grant received his one and only Oscar nomination for this film (as hard as that is to believe). It's a very offbeat role for him and he is excellent. It's not one of his best films however, but it is still a fine drama. Ethel Barrymore is outstanding in the role of his dying mother.
February 22, 2014
Like the main character, the movie strays around not knowing what to do. It goes from scene to scene and situation to situation with what seems to be little motivation. If it weren't for the naturalistic performance of Ethel Barrymore, this movie would be bad. She holds it together. Cary Grant is a good actor, and a great comedic actor. But his performances in dramas can at times feel contrived, as if he's trying too hard to be "dramatic". The screenplay is inconsistent, giving the best lines to Ethel's character. This movie would be completely forgettable, and quite bad, if it weren't for Ethel Barrymore. It is otherwise boring with no sense of direction or passion.
KevinRobbins
July 28, 2013
You know me, tramp of the universe.

A son returns home to help his sickly mother tend her shop. They don't exactly have a loving and caring relationship and are constantly taking barbs at each other. As the mother gets sicker and money gets shorter, the two consider turning to crime to make ends meet. The mother tries to talk her son out of his bad ideas, but eventually time may cause for desperate acts...

"I wonder what the weatherman calls for tomorrow."
"Probably rain, followed by suicide in bed."

Clifford Odets, director of The Story on Page One, delivers None But the Lonely Heart in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and intricate. The characters are very well written and I loved the script. The acting is also first rate and the cast includes Cary Grant, Ethel Barrymore, Barry Fitzgerald, Jane Wyatt, and June Duprez.

"I'll sink you worse than any Titanic."

I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) during a Cary Grant marathon. Grant is one of my all time favorite actors and I was excited to see this picture. I will say this isn't his best movie, as the plot may not be as compelling as some of his work, but his character is very dynamic and unpredictable. I strongly recommend seeing this gem.

"Life is a piece of meat when you know how."

Grade: B