None But the Lonely Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

None But the Lonely Heart Reviews

September 5, 2010
This could have been a great drama, but Grant doesn't give us a great performance, maybe he felt a little too comfortable back at home in England or something? I don't know, but this movie is lacking something, and I found it really boring.
½ May 10, 2009
Ernie (played by Cary Grant) has to turn over a new leaf when he learns his mother has cancer. Now that he is stuck in town, he has to deal with making a living and keeping his girlfriend happy. The movie is somewhat depressing as in this era, it is almost impossible to make a living legally, so there is always the lure of illegal activities.
½ November 13, 2007
The kind of role I wish Grant had tried more often. Not "Cary Grantish," if you know what I mean. A wonderful cast all around, with special praise for Barry Fitzgerald and Jane Wyatt. If only Grant had done more like this, he might have made my all-time favorite actor list. Still, this one is so much more "real" than most of his characters, I might have to rethink putting him on the list. NB: Although this might appear to be coming from a kind of a place of gritty realism, it is very much a fairy tale with an appropriate fairly tale ending. I think there might actually be a paper topic in the way Clifford Odets, the writer-director, plays with the conventional elements of realism and tragedy -- perhaps even of naturalism -- on the journey to a classically (not ha-ha funny) comic ending. Just a beautifully done movie.
May 23, 2007
A very different performance from Cary Grant before he developed the persona that made him famous. Overall this movie just bored me.
January 23, 2014
Cary Grant against type is a limit in terms of being believable. His own efforts deserve merits but the rest of the film leaves you a bit wanting.
½ April 19, 2016
Grant's "cockney" accent leaves much to be desired, but once you get past that, it is a charming little film.
February 22, 2014
Like the main character, the movie strays around not knowing what to do. It goes from scene to scene and situation to situation with what seems to be little motivation. If it weren't for the naturalistic performance of Ethel Barrymore, this movie would be bad. She holds it together. Cary Grant is a good actor, and a great comedic actor. But his performances in dramas can at times feel contrived, as if he's trying too hard to be "dramatic". The screenplay is inconsistent, giving the best lines to Ethel's character. This movie would be completely forgettable, and quite bad, if it weren't for Ethel Barrymore. It is otherwise boring with no sense of direction or passion.
July 28, 2013
You know me, tramp of the universe.

A son returns home to help his sickly mother tend her shop. They don't exactly have a loving and caring relationship and are constantly taking barbs at each other. As the mother gets sicker and money gets shorter, the two consider turning to crime to make ends meet. The mother tries to talk her son out of his bad ideas, but eventually time may cause for desperate acts...

"I wonder what the weatherman calls for tomorrow."
"Probably rain, followed by suicide in bed."

Clifford Odets, director of The Story on Page One, delivers None But the Lonely Heart in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and intricate. The characters are very well written and I loved the script. The acting is also first rate and the cast includes Cary Grant, Ethel Barrymore, Barry Fitzgerald, Jane Wyatt, and June Duprez.

"I'll sink you worse than any Titanic."

I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) during a Cary Grant marathon. Grant is one of my all time favorite actors and I was excited to see this picture. I will say this isn't his best movie, as the plot may not be as compelling as some of his work, but his character is very dynamic and unpredictable. I strongly recommend seeing this gem.

"Life is a piece of meat when you know how."

Grade: B
February 13, 2013
Despite its slow pace and rather dour indifferent look at Londons underclass circa 1938, Lonely Hearts is saved by Grants performance and screenwriters Odetes strong witted dialogue. Would be interested to see this remade, though the melodramatic screenplay probably would work better today as a stage play.
October 7, 2009
None But the Lonely Heart (1944) -- [6.0] -- Cary Grant plays a wandering Londoner who's reluctant to settle down. This changes when he discovers his mother, played by Ethel Barrymore, has terminal cancer. Poverty and loneliness drive Grant and Barrymore to desperate measures, and just when you think things can't get any gloomier, the film ends with foreshadowing of the second world war. "None But the Lonely Heart" is a dark film, but it has heart. Cary Grant drops his trademark wit and confidence for a much more vulnerable performance, one of the most dramatic of his career (up there with "Penny Serenade"). The best scenes are the early ones between Grant and Barrymore, where the estranged mother and son take cautious strides to reconnect with one another. Barrymore's performance earned her an Academy Award (for supporting actress) and Grant was nominated.
September 9, 2009
Cary Grant received his one and only Oscar nomination for this film (as hard as that is to believe). It's a very offbeat role for him and he is excellent. It's not one of his best films however, but it is still a fine drama. Ethel Barrymore is outstanding in the role of his dying mother.
June 5, 2008
This movie is great. Grant really lets his melancholy side shine. His acting is superb and carries the movie.
May 16, 2005
May 19, 2016
None but the Lonely Heart is an amazing film. It is about an itinerant who reluctantly returns home to help his sickly mother run her shop. Cary Grant and Ethel Barrymore give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Clifford Odets did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. None but the Lonely Heart is a must see.
½ April 19, 2016
½ December 30, 2014
Terrific. I just saw this for the first time on TCM right after watching Suspicion (which I had seen many times). It was fascinating seeing Carrie Grant play this sort of role. The movie has some clever humor but is overall somber. A good way to spend time while in bed with a cold.
July 23, 2014
It's one of the only films that you don't like Cary in - he's that good at being bad.
February 22, 2014
January 23, 2014
July 28, 2013
You know me, tramp of the universe.

"I wonder what the weatherman calls for tomorrow."
"Probably rain, followed by suicide in bed."

"I'll sink you worse than any Titanic."

"Life is a piece of meat when you know how."

Grade: B