Weekly Ketchup: Warcraft Movie Finds New Life

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes new roles for Paul Giamatti, Tom Hardy, Jeremy Renner, and Denzel Washington, and such ambitious "tentpole" type projects as The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Doctor Strange, Warcraft, and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Back to Article

Comments

Ethan Tweeter

Ethan Tweeter

good thing theres no rotten ideas

Feb 1 - 06:28 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

Not a real fan of Warcraft, but Source Code was a really good movie.

I've also really wanted to see Rhino get his debut, although I'm a little worried with a villian fest again in another Spidey movie, I thought SP3 had it's major downfall in trying to get too many villians in. Rhino, Electro, and I have to assume if the movie plans to play so closely to the comics as Amazing Spidey did that Norman Osborn will be introduced to have the killing of Gwen Stacey.

I hope they do justice to a Venom villian though, and here's rooting for Carnage still!

Feb 1 - 06:46 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Watch Moon. The director's other effort. Proved Sam Rockwell as an actor to look out for.

Feb 2 - 10:16 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

No to venom and carnage. Leave the alien simbiotes in space

Feb 4 - 11:06 AM

Robert C.

Robert Ciesialka

Moon is fantastic. As for the Spidey movie, for some reason I loved ASM so much more than the Raimi flicks. Please don't overload the villains, and don't kill off Gwen yet. There has to be a Jackal movie before they move to Mary Jane.

Feb 4 - 11:36 AM

Connor Dutchak

Connor Dutchak

I think to do Venom, the movie would have to be like 3.5 hours long, but if done properly it would be fantastic.

Feb 26 - 07:00 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

Wow all of these news stories are actually pretty decent. Except for Warcraft, don't really care for it. So yeah GOOOOOD.

Feb 1 - 07:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

My fingers are crossed for "Dr Strange", an intriguing character that could make an awesome movie...or something as awful as that TV movie from the 70s.

"Kill the Messenger" should be great, and Gary Webb's story is an important one to tell. Also, I welcome another Denzel directing effort, and I don't see any reason why Davis would turn the role down (she claimed to only take "The Help" because it was her first offer in six months). Also, I'd love to see another directing effort from Liv Ullman, her first in over 15 years not to be written by Bergman. Great cast too.

I'm more interested in watching the illegally-shot in Tomorrowland film "Escape From Tomorrow" screened recently at Sundance, than I am watching another Disney tourism advert disguised as a film.

Feb 1 - 07:22 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I don't know, the fact that they changed the title from 1952 to Tommorowland leads me to believe that this isn't an adaptation of the theme park. Disney probably just slapped it on to give this film a brand name.

Besides, with Brad Bird at the helm I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the best out of all the developments mentioned on this list. I mean this is the guy who managed to get Vin Diesel to make you cry, turned a story about a rat wanting to be a chef into one of the year's best films and even managed to make a great Mission Impossible film. He's one of the few directors who could anounce that he's making a Candyland film and I'd still be interested.

Feb 2 - 09:59 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

It's not a deal-breaker, just a bad sign of Disney's interference.

Feb 2 - 03:42 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

These are the film I want to see made:
THE KEEP
by F. Paul Wilson
(re-adapt F. Paul Wilson's novel into the TERRIFYING MASTERPIECE it really is)

Thus reads the message received from a Nazi commander stationed in a small castle high in the remote Transylvanian Alps. Invisible and silent, the enemy selects one victim per night, leaving the bloodless and mutilated corpses behind to terrify its future victims.

When an elite SS extermination squad is dispatched to solve the problem, the men find something that's both powerful and terrifying. Panicked, the Nazis bring in a local expert on folklore--who just happens to be Jewish--to shed some light on the mysterious happenings. And unbeknownst to anyone, there is another visitor on his way--a man who awoke from a nightmare and immediately set out to meet his destiny.
----the highlight of the book for me is The dead, bloodless corpses of the SS troops are re-animated and attack the living soldiers.

THEY THIRST
by Robert McCammon (has never been filmed)
Prince Vulkan, master of the vampires, has loosed his army of the undead on Los Angeles in this seamlessly written horror novel by the author of Mine. Vulkan's plan is to replace humankind, city by city, with the living dead. Four people stand in his way. Homicide detective Andy Palatazin, a Hungarian immigrant who fled this scourge as a child, is determined to stop it now. Young Tommy Chandler, whose parents were killed before his eyes, wants revenge. TV star Wes Richer hopes to save his beloved by tracking Vulkan to his lair. Father Silvera, a dying priest, believes that God has chosen him to destroy the vampire prince. Wreaking death and carnage, Vulkan proceeds to a final confrontation between the forces of good and evil. McCammon delivers terror with skillful ferocity as he pays tribute to masters of the genre and raises the standards for the craft a notch or two.
---its 'Salem's Lot in L.A.

THE SNAKE
by John Godey
You'll never think of Central Park the same again......
Through a series of circumstances, an adult black mamba, the deadliest snake in the world, becomes lose in Central Park in New York City.
The resulting suspence is chilling. The plot slithers forward, and then twists and strikes repeatedly -- this could be the definition of "couldn't-put-it-down."

remake DOG DAY AFTERNOON
by Patrick Mann
this base-on-true-story novel is woefully unknown and underrated, but thanks to Internet bookstores, no longer hard to find. Waller, writing in third person, pulls you right into the life of Joe Nowicki, aka Littlejoe, who plans to rob a Queens Chase Bank so he can pay for a sex change operation for his transvestite lover. Topical and raunchy were two words used to describe the book and movie in the early 70s. The dialogue is a treat to the ear and the suspense is unyielding, even if you know the ending from the movie. I don't know why the novel didn't have a long shelf life, but it deserves to be back in print and read by a larger audience.

Feb 1 - 07:30 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

The Keep is an interesting premise. Strangely enough I did not read the book, but there was a module for Dungeons and Dragons (or another fantasy role playing game) I had back in the 80's which was based on 'The Keep' and followed the same premise.

Feb 1 - 10:48 PM

Tom Carter

Tom Carter

Well, it's a good thing, I guess, that there's another villain added to the Amazing Spider-Man sequel roster, I don't think Electro could've held a movie on his own, Jamie Foxx or not. Giamatti is a pretty interesting choice to play Rhino (although I could kinda see him as Dr. Octopus, but we already had Alfred Molina playing that part in the last trilogy, and he already did a pretty good job). My opinion, if they're going the route where they keep putting all these minor villains in these Spider-Man movies, I'd say this should be something like the Sinister Six, and have one major villain bring these five lesser ones together for a team. In that case, we could get some other cool small villains such as Kraven, Mysterio, and Vulture, who could all unite under a classic Spider-Man villain such as Green Goblin or Dr. Octopus. Just an opinion anyway. And besides, they were teasing the whole Norman Osborn thing in the last movie, and now that the kid from Chronicle just got cast as Harry Osborn, that leaves it a pretty good chance for Norman to come in...

Feb 1 - 08:42 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

They probably want to do a bit more establishing before they go for the big team-up.

Feb 1 - 09:30 PM

Bram S.

Bram Sterling

A Warcraft movie? Really?

Tomorrowland is going to be awesome. But I wonder what Walt Disney has to do with it...

Feb 1 - 09:21 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Amazing Spiderman 2 is ramping up to be a pretty weird movie... But hopefully it'll do well.

X Men seems like its turning into its own version of the Avengers.

Feb 1 - 09:29 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Feb 1 - 09:30 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Top News:

Gee, I'm not sure, wouldn't Peter Jackson be better suited for a Warcraft movie instead? I mean, it sure seems more like his style.

Fresh:

#1 - The only good fresh news this week. Sweet, never thought Giamati would land such an awesome role to an amazing movie indeed (suck it who ever said The Amazing Spiderman was an ass of a movie).

#4 - Dammit Disney, when will you announce anything on that live-action Mulan movie you have in plans to do? Or at least another hand-drawn movie?

Feb 1 - 10:23 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

The Amazing Spiderman was neither bad nor great, just kinda meh. It's just a cash cow at this point.

Feb 1 - 10:50 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

It wasn't great, it was amazing. And no, cash cows are currently Pixar's plans for a Finding Nemo 2, Toy Story 4 (two movies that do NOT need sequels), another Paranormal Activity, & another Terminator film.

Feb 1 - 11:58 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Just to clarify, Toy Story 4 was just a rumor. The director of Toy Story 3 confirmed that there were no plans for another Toy Story film.

Feb 2 - 10:13 AM

King  S.

King Simba

While I would love to see Peter Jackson take a shot at a Warcraft movie, he isn't going to be available until 2014 and I highly doubt he's going to want to tackle another fantasy franchise yet after finishing The Hobbit. But hey, on the bright side at least they got an acclaimed director to tackle the franchise and not someone like say Roland Emmerich.

I'd actually prefer it if Disney didn't do a live action Mulan film. Forget the spotty track record at live action adaptations of stories previously done animated by Disney, I shutter to think at all the whitewashing that's going to happen in that film due to the unfortunate belief Hollywood has that an Asian cast can't carry a big budget tentpole (which is why we have Keanu Reeves in 47 Ronin and all the whitewashing that happened in The Last Airbender and the shelved Akira adaptation).

Feb 2 - 10:11 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" - 128 million. People will come to see it if it's a good movie.

Feb 2 - 03:45 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I agree, but sadly Hollywood doesn't seem to share the same view.

Feb 3 - 04:21 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Yes, I'm aware that Hollywood doesn't share the "view" that good movies matter.

Feb 3 - 01:45 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Well, it was just a suggestion.

And if Disney isn't planning anything interesting, let alone another hand drawn animated movie, then all I want to hear about is a live action Mulan.

Feb 3 - 01:01 AM

Feb 1 - 11:58 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Feb 2 - 10:13 AM

Eldest2005

Christopher Aull

My older brother is really into that game. I don't know about them making a movie about it since the last time they made a movie based on a widely popular video game with Dungeons & Dragons, they failed miserably. But with the guy who made Moon and Source Code, which were both really good, there is some hope.

Feb 1 - 10:54 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Feb 1 - 11:58 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Feb 2 - 10:13 AM

Fleming Friis-Jensen

Fleming Friis-Jensen

Rhino is the lamest villain ever, and electro (at least how he was portrayed in the comics) is not far behind. I wasnt a fan of amazing spiderman, thought it was closer to the ultimate version than the 616 pete we all know and love (skateboarding hipster pete? really?). Think the only thing that could get me invested in this reboot is when they finally get around to doing venom right (1 villain 1 movie) and set up maximum carnage, but looks like they are going with a sinister 6 route instead so probably won't see venom before amazing spiderman 4 or 5.
At least X-men days of future past is looking amazeballs.

Feb 2 - 04:08 AM

Eric Baker

Eric Baker

Did Rotten Tomatoes miss the Damon Lindelof tweet where he explicitly stated 1952/Tomorrowland would NOT be about aliens? Sure the guy's secretive, but he's not in the business of outright lying to throw people of his trail.

Feb 2 - 05:42 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Yes, actually, I did (and so did a lot of bloggers, it appears!). Thanks for the tip! And here's the post in question: https://twitter.com/DamonLindelof/status/296015212581101569

Feb 2 - 09:36 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Maybe he meant that it wouldn't be about Xenomorphs :P (which means it wouldn't be the first time he's lied about it)

Feb 2 - 03:46 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Feb 2 - 09:36 AM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies