Norbit Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ April 23, 2012
When I was in college, this film was playing in the student pub; I had nothing else better to do, so I watched it. Boy was that a bad choice. This film was poorly written, acted and directed with a bad cast. The result is one of the worst films that I have seen in recent memory. This is one of the most stupid comedies ever, and it's no wonder why Eddie Murphy's career is in such shambles. Norbit is a strained comedy right from the start. There's nothing funny about this film, in fact the only good thing about this film is the end credits. This is a painful comedy that I hated. The film suffers from a bad script, a poor cast and bad directing. There are no redeeming factors in this film. The film provides you with a waste of time, and there's nothing here that is fun, or entertaining. Norbit is an unfunny film that will depress you. This is simply put a comedy with no laughs or entertainment value whatsoever. Eddie Murphy is horrible on-screen, and this is by far one of the stupidest comedies I've seen. Norbit is a very forgettable film that doesn't deliver. The film is a pure waste of time from start to finish and shouldn't be watched by anyone looking for an effective comedy. Avoid this comedy; you'll be glad that you did. Eddie Murphy is a has been, and Norbit is proof to that. This is a film that is unwatchable, and definitely not worth your time.
½ October 31, 2011
Been there done that......nutty professor zzzzzzz.
½ January 16, 2008
Kind of mixed. It isn't as horrible and offensive as some people seem to be saying, but it isn't as funny either. I find with this one I kind of get bored watching it, though the high point for me is Raspucia. I actually think that character is kind of amusing - I don't think it's offensive that she is fat, I mean come on, it's a horrible character who just happens to be very overweight. That character would be just as horrible on a skinny girl. The bits that she (or he, as she, to be more exact) is not in are the bits that drag. Norbit is a dork - there is nothing interesting about him. The pimps are so so, Mr Wong is mildly offensive with his whaling. Thandie is distracting just by how stick thin she is, but she is nice in this.
It's a dumb comedy for those times you can't be bothered to think about a movie too hard. Bit of a laugh at some of the Rasputia stuff, but otherwise a bit on the bland side.
July 29, 2010
Fat suits can't make up for boring jokes and just plain weirdness.
June 26, 2010
very few funny parts. D
½ May 18, 2010
Just a weird movie. Granted, Eddie Murphy is pretty believable as an obnoxious fat woman, but I don't think anyone wanted to see it for almost two hours. The movie is extremely trashy and dumb, but I don't think it deserved all the razzies it got. This could have been a lot worse, but it's still bad compared to Eddie Murphy's previous movies.
January 23, 2010
Eddie Murphy is definately running out of steam! Stop making movies now before your movies get worse. Or at least just sign on to make a movie that you know is going to be good!
January 21, 2010
I can't say I've ever heard anything good said about Norbit, rightly so, it's not very good. That said though, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be, I actually laughed a couple of times. I had just been varnishing the work surfaces in the kitchen though, so the fact I was high on fumes probably help in my overall enjoyment of the film. A lot could be said about how misogynistic and racist this film is but then you would be taking it all too seriously. Something would be wrong if it was a big hit, won loads of awards etc but it wasn't. It was better than The Klumps, that is as close to a recommendation as I can give you!
½ November 28, 2009
Hey! You want to know why Eddie Murphy didn't win an Oscar for Dreamgirls? This is it.

I've learned not to expect much out of Eddie Murphy. Has he actually done a good movie in awhile? I can't remember. What makes Norbit so special? Why is Norbit accepted as such a horrible film across the globe? I couldn't figure it out. It bothered me, it tore at my soul. So I had to find out for myself. And within the first few minutes I had my answer. The film also stars... drum roll please.... Cuba Gooding, Jr. That's right, the guy that won the Oscar and then let his career swim in a sewage treatment plant is in Norbit. It's not Eddie Murphy! It's Cuba!

The film has Eddie Murphy playing Norbit, his rotund wife and probably some other characters that I didn't care about. It was cool twenty years ago Akeem, but that stuff got old and we get enough of that in Mike Meyer's movies. The orphanage plot is horrid with acting that isn't really acting but trying to keep up with Mr. Eddie's ad-libbing. The film centers on saving an orphanage. No, Norbit isn't on a mission from God, he's playing a foil to his large wife and her criminal family, who are the ones that want the orphanage for other investment gains. Of course there's the cute girl (Thandie Newton) that got away, who- that's right- is there to save the orphanage because in the movies only good looking people are good and people that look like me are evil.

I have to say once again that the fact that Eddie Murphy is in this should have been a brown crap flag from the start. It's OK, we can blame Eddie since he also helped write this piece of shit. Shame, Eddie. Shame. I don't know what to tell you. What happened to the Eddie Murphy that wore blue leather suits with 75 zippers and was going to be the next Richard Pryor. I guess Eddie really has followed Richard Pryor in that the movies he did in the twilight of his career were crap too.
½ August 22, 2007
Murphy in more fat suits, what is it with these fat suits?? this is terrible, unfunny and kinda cruel to overweight people haha its also just an extension to his 'Nutty Proff' flicks but nowhere near as good, just a cash in.
February 8, 2008
Typical Eddie Murphy movie. He plays three different roles, and does well in all of them. Though it was pretty norm to all of his other movies, not a whole lot of difference, but there was a lot of funny parts and its worth watching - maybe even buying if your a true Eddie Murphy fan.
SilentWarProductions2009
½ February 4, 2007
Directed by: Brian Robbins.
Starring: Eddie Murphy, Thandie Newton, Cuba Gooding Jr.

Now before I say anything, I definitely would not go and waste the price of a ticket for this film, my dads mate ended up giving me a bootlegged version on disk and I thought before I throw it away, I'd watch it. By the finale, I wish I hadn't.

I was at least expecting Eddie Murphy to shine in his roles by adding a little bit of wit, humour and some form of sweetness, none of that is seen. Instead I got retarded, forced, very badly written humour and enough cliches for 2 films. Just before I came on here to review this film, I knew that it was going to have a high flixster rating, mainly from all the young, brainless MTV generations who's humour is so stretched and muddled, that they will laugh at anything, I must say I was right. There is nothing remotely good to say about this film aside from that Thandie Newton is a beauty when she is on screen.

Sits down in the garbage right next to the likes of Date Movie, which to mainly young girls, is probably a good thing.
March 4, 2007
From start to finish, Norbit is dismally unfunny, Martin Lawrence as Big Momma is far much better & funnier
thefog1331
July 11, 2007
Nowhere as great as Coming To America but better than anything Murphy has made since.
July 5, 2007
Hilarious. It also has my favorite comedian,Kat Williams, which makes it that much better.
June 3, 2007
A bunch of once good actor's give okay performances in a poorly scripted ego boost for Mr. Murphy. Unlikeable and unfunny, a few jokes had me chuckle but other than that it was painful. asteless humour without any sense of timing or structure means we are just expected to laugh when people get hit and fat people fall down (although that is usually funny).
magnum32004
March 12, 2007
Eddie Murphy is back in the world of comedy in top form with a movie that's both funny and warm-hearted.
½ February 4, 2007
Walking into the movie one must admit they aren't expecting the same comedic genius as a Mel Brook's film, but perhaps that was the main draw of "Norbit" in the first place. Personally, I walked in expecting a ridiculously vile and obscenely immature show of comedy. I walked away seeing a lackluster prequel to Dr. Dolittle and The Nutty Proffesor combined. It would be honestly hard to say anything in this film is worth seeing, aside from the few momentary chuckles provided by Eddie Griffin and Katt Williams as stereotypical pimps (a consistently typecast role both have fallen into).

As it can be best surmised, Eddy Murphy has inadvertently passed the torch, from his hysterically funny prime in stand up comedy (see: Eddy Murphy - RAW) and the Beverly Hills Cops franchise, to the mainstream Hollywood "everything is predictable" yawn-fest which is NORBIT. The script is nothing more than the recycled remains of every romantic comedy stir fried with an inexcusable amount of fat jokes and simmered over an unbelievably whipped pathetic excuse for a main character by the utterly incomprehensible name of Norbit.

Simply stated, if you are over the age of 10, you will not enjoy a single second of this movie. If you want to see a funny fat movie with Eddy Murphy rent The Nutty Professor and save yourself two laugh less hours of gaggingly pathetic fat jokes and continuity errors. It seems Norbit is one big joke, oddly enough however, no one is laughing.
February 6, 2007
this is such a funny movie, although some jokes may offend some people and maybe it isnt for the whole family to watch. Eddie Murphy is a great comedian, there's no one in this world with the capacity of changing his appearance and making it so believeable, he is like a chameleon. This is the kind of movie you go to enjoy a good time, to relaxed and to forget everything