Norm of the North - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Norm of the North Reviews

December 24, 2013
It was a really terrible, unfunny and unoriginal animated family comedy adventure. It had really mediocre animation, pretty decent voice cast, great music, great adventure, unfunny parts, not too great visuals, not too funny characters and a really bad story. This is one of the worst animated films of the year. It's not as good as "Paddington." I would recommend this one to kids only.
February 9, 2016
Godawful abomination.
February 9, 2016
Grade: D
In a Nutshell: This animation from Lionsgate is another tired environmental lecture about how animals are superior and humans are evil.

This is NOT one of those family-friendly films when the parents enjoy it as much as the kids.

Uplifting theme:
Everyone is given talents. Talents should be used to make a positive difference.
"You can make a change. You can find a new way." - Elizabeth (Kate Higgins)
Just because a product says it's "green", doesn't mean it is environmentally-friendly.
"A king always fights for his home."

Things I liked:
Voice talents of the characters include Rob Schneider, Heather Graham, Bill Nighy, Gabriel Iglesias, Loretta Devin, and Colm Meaney. They're mostly unmemorable, but Ken Jeong's voice work steals the show.
The little furry animals are supposed to be lemmings. They're almost cute. Did you know that they really do live in the Arctic?
Pop music.

Things I didn't like:
The animation itself is pretty average, certainly not as good as we're used to seeing from Disney or Pixar.
We're told "When confronted by a polar bear, assert your dominance and stand your ground." That's terrible advice. Polar bears are actually very dangerous and vicious.
"There are never problems, only messages from the universe." - Mr. Green (Ken Jeong)
Polar bears killing seas = good. Tourists = bad
There's a negative jab at a "cola company", which is generic enough that Lionsgate can't get sued by Coke.
If the target audience is young children, then there are a lot of big words and concepts that little kids won't understand.

Lines that are supposed to be funny:
"I put the soul in the winter solstice." - Norm
"And the next thing I know I'm twerking in front of a boat of tourists." - Norm
"Twerking?! Have some self-respect, Norm!" - Socrates
"Why don't you take a picture? It'll last longer." - Norm
"Well, it's not Macbeth, but it's a job." - costumed bear (Nick Shakoour)
"Vera, get my lawyer. We're going to copyright that roar and make it a ring tone." - Mr. Green
Tips for parents:

The worse profanity you'll hear is "crap".
Lemmings pee in a fish aquarium and on potted plants.
Zzzzz....
January 16, 2016
why would anyone not want to watch this cinematic gold?
February 7, 2016
Algo dentro de mí murió.
February 7, 2016
Norm of the North
Initial Reaction: A film about Vikings?

Main Characters
Norm: He's Polar Bar voiced by Rob Schneider

Plot Summary
Norm is having a good time at the North Pole - wait, he's not. He's a polar bear that can not hunt in order to save his life.
But he does have a gift - he is able to speak with humans. And when a property development company named Greene homes starts building homes in the Artic, Norm has to head off to New York City (the base of operations of Greene Homes) to put a stop to the developer's plans.

SCORING
Main Characters
Norm is supposed to be your lovable hero, but here he comes across as very bland and forgettable. SCORE: 2

Supporting Cast
The rest of the cast is just as flat. The main bad guy is there just to make a lot of money, and there's a pair of leading ladies who don't affect the plot very much. SCORE: 2

Plot
At 93 minutes, this film is a very short one, but it feels very long because the story gets dragged out. First off, we get scenes where Norm tries to fit in with the Artic life, then there's too many scenes where Norm wanders about New York in a vain attempt to stop Greene Homes. SCORE: 2

Originality
This film looks and feels like the sort of film that goes straight to DVD. And there's nothing here to make it stand out. SCORE: 2

Violence Factor
There's a scene where the main bad guy tries to shoot Norm with a tranquilizer gun - for a reason I don't get. And I also don't get life in the Artic; are the animals supposed to act like humans or like animals? SCORE: 2

Other Moral Issues
One simple question: Why would ANYONE want to buy a house in the Artic? SCORE: 1

Final Score (out of 60): 11 % Score: 18.33%
Forget about this film - there are much better ones coming later this year.
½ February 5, 2016
Whoever thought this was okay to screen, let alone make at all, needs to be sent to the electric chair. Animation that is worse than the worst 3D animation from 16 years ago and story/characters so bland that even kids in the theater were complaining to leave, make this a definite no go.
½ February 5, 2016
probably just as bad as Foodfight...
½ February 5, 2016
This movie was terrible. The plot may have worked if another production company made it. The script was awful, the animation was mediocre, and it was all we could do to sit through to the end. I wish I had listed to other reviewers before I wasted 40 bucks taking my daughter and her friend to a movie none of us enjoyed.
January 27, 2016
Released by the same company that released "Alpha & Omega" (aka Wolfaboo the Movie). That's all you need to know.
½ February 1, 2016
One of the year's very worst movies! Norm of the North is a HUGE disgrace to animated films! 0/5 stars!
½ January 17, 2016
And you people thought that Fant4stic was bad.
February 1, 2016
This is one of the worst animated films I've ever seen.
January 17, 2016
Hey! Who gave this movie a good review?
January 29, 2016
The greatest anime I have ever seen! Surpasses the likes of Cory in the House and MLP, and has become THE new standard for future anime! WOW!
January 29, 2016
i love the animation
½ January 29, 2016
VIEWS ON FILM review by Jesse Burleson

Hello folks. It's the start of the new year again. That means a lowbrow, cartoon flick is being marketed badly, it's being released in January, and it's being taken down by critics like the Arizona Cardinals were taken down by the Carolina Panthers (a rare football reference). 2014 had this going on with The Nut Job and now here comes Norm of the North (my latest review). Seeing "Norm" today with my two nephews and my niece, I realized that these types of movies are critic proof when it comes to small children. I mean it's a cartoon just like anything else. You put the young tykes in their seats, give them some Skittles, and they stare straight at the screen, transfixed. So parents, just be patient. You can rightfully go see The Revenant next week (ha-ha).

Anyway, as an animated film made by a rookie director (Trevor Wall), Norm of the North is off-putting and unsavory without having an ounce of adult humor. And with a reference to Titanic, a couple of fart jokes, and an assumed PG rating, kids ages 4-8 will still dig it a lot more than their parental units.

Now for kicks-and-giggles, the visual effects in "Norm" are mostly decent with their inspiration obviously coming from any one of the Ice Age movies. It's the human characters however, that look a little old fashioned (I thought I was watching a Def Leppard music video circa 1992). Bottom line: I didn't dislike Norm of the North but a totally mixed review is necessary. When I saw the main trouper (a guileless polar bear voiced by comedian Rob Schneider) doing weird, gyrated dance moves to some cheesy, outdated Muzak, well I pretty much cringed like a mother.

Featuring the voiceover work of Heather Graham, Ken Jeong, and Bill Nighy, being heralded as the first feature-length, animation release from Splash Entertainment, and having its chief protagonist dress up in an outfit prompting him to take a stab at a gay joke (that's what I thought anyway), Norm of the North contains a dance-along-type ending that lets you know that it's strictly for the kiddies. The story begins by chronicling Arctic Circle/carnivorous bear, Norm (Rob Schneider). You see Norm is an Ursus maritimus that can't seem to hunt effectively. He can however, talk to humans and has an animalistic sense of empathy. When Norm gets word of a rich, real estate mogul (Jeong as Mr. Greene) trying to build condos in his Arctic territory, well he becomes distraught, gets on a plane to New York City, and tries to hatch a plan to stop said developer's money hungry plans. Look for a scene where young Norman eats live gills and fins at a sushi bar. Also, look away when his sidekicks (furry creatures called lemmings) urinate in a fish bowl and just about everywhere else. How unsanitary.

All in all, I found Norm of the North to be disposable (to an adult, what animated vehicle isn't) yet not awful. Ninety minutes go by and what's on screen is like every other kid toon, evaporating the moment you leave the theater. Actually, strike that. There is one exception. 1982's The Secret of NIMH is in my mind, four star stuff. Darn it though, they just don't make em' like they used to. Rating: 2 and a half stars.
½ January 27, 2016
Oh my word.... We actually got an animated film released world wide with 0%... bruh