71% Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

The North Avenue Irregulars Reviews

Matt H.
April 20, 2014
The North Avenue Irregulars is proof that you don't need sex and four-letter words to make a funny movie. These church ladies are all we have to work with, but oh do they pull it off, and then some.
June 9, 2012
TImeless classic. Amen.
May 14, 2012
LOL, LOL, LOL !!
February 21, 2011
This movie is a complete hoot! Its slapstick, wisecracking style is totally 70s Disney...but, this movie is a little more geared to adults vs. the other fare from the early/mid decade. Its harmless, easy, time-killing fun! Cloris Leachman and Barbara Harris and Karen Valentine are particularly funny. Enjoy!
Zeppo1
November 4, 2010
** (out of four)

Way too Zany. Way too Wacky. And Way too Corny for its own good. "The North Avenue Irregulars" is pretty typical Disney fare of the late 1970's, excpet with the volume turned up...way up.

A group of church ladies on North Avenue take on a group of illegal gamblers in an attempt to rid their neighborhood of the evil influence.
DrLappos
DrLappos

August 27, 2010
Let me just start out by saying that I watched this film willingly.....there was a lot of alcohol involved....it was sandwiched in between a session watching the original Evil Dead and Hellraiser, a little arm twisting and some rib nudging but I have to say this was a giggle. Typical late 70's Disney and I did laugh if only at the pants surveillance attempts.
jam233
December 28, 2009
I don't know why I enjoyed this film, it's typical Disney from the 1970's, but it did make me laugh. One huge plus is a terrific assortment of actors, as well as a very fast pace. Very entertaining.
lovebnnaked
July 25, 2009
I went to see it when I was a kid in the theatre & it was Hillarious! Go rent or even Buy It! It's well worth it, it'll have ya in stiches...;-)
Jeffrey P.
January 10, 2009
This DVD was on my Amazon list and I got it for Christmas. My wife and I just watched it. She had never seen it and I wanted to share with her a silly piece of my past since I remember going to a drive-in movie to see this movie.

Ironically, this Disney film starts out with a few poignant comments about church and community involvement. Those comments were telling back in 1979 and they continue to be so in 2009. But, aside from holding a mirror up for contemporary Christians now, this is a great family-friendly and fun movie. It's silly and campy. The cast all contribute equally well in their roles while not being too stereotypical.

I highly recommend it. Obviously, some feminist-minded folk may object to the infrequent mentions of "dames" and other non-politically correct gender language, but, that aside, I believe this to be a solid Disney contribution. It brought back a lot of memories for me.
Anthony V

July 1, 2008
Some very funny moments.
heahterdial
December 27, 2007
Hilarious charectors! I love this movie!
gillianren
September 17, 2007
Edward Herrmann has one of the weirdest careers in the history of film, I swear. The two movies I, personally, know him best in are this, in which he plays a minister, and [i]Lost Boys[/i], in which he (spoiler) plays the head vampire. Also, he's on [i]Gilmore Girls[/i], he narrates about half the stuff on the History Channel, and he does car commercials by the, well, truckload. I could go on, but you get the idea.

In this, he's Reverend Mike Hill, pastor of the North Avenue Presbyterian Church. Through a brief series of misadventures, $1206 of his church's money ends up in the hands of the mob. When he loses his cool and complains about it on the local television station's Sunday night prayer message, the Treasury Department comes looking for him to help them battle the mob. Which he does with the help of six ladies (and the husband of one, in drag) from the church.

It's Disney. Live action Disney from 1979. What do you expect, quality?

Actually, I saw this movie a lot as a kid. It was one of the ones that they played on the Disney Channel all the time. Thus, unlike practically every other kid of my generation, this is how I think of him first. Riding a motorcycle through the streets of New Camden with no pants on. (This is one of those moments that works in the film but takes a [i]long[/i] time to explain if you haven't seen it.) It's not very good, even as live action Disney movies from the '70s go, but it's one of my favourites.

The moral of the film is simple--organized crime [i]bad[/i]!--but the hijinks are entertaining, and it'll certainly keep kids occupied for an hour and a half. Heck, it'll keep me occupied for an hour and a half, too.
HiMyNameIsSteve
July 6, 2007
In the 1970s, Walt Disney produced about 15.6 million live-action comedies. This is in the top 100 at the very least. It's wholesome campy fun with a fantastic ensemble cast.
ZannePerl
April 24, 2007
Unique premise. Fun story.
madchef70