Northfork Reviews

366weirdmovies 366weirdmovies
½ April 27, 2014
In 1955, officials try to convince reluctant residents of Northfork, Montana (one of who has built an ark) to leave before the town is flooded by new dam construction; meanwhile, a dying orphan meets a ghostly family and tries to convince them to take him with them. The mildly surreal Big Sky spirituality here may be too dry to inspire as intended, but it does set a unique and thoughtful mood.
bbcfloridabound bbcfloridabound
October 19, 2011
What the Hell was I watching. Two Stars
arashxak arashxak
July 4, 2008
"There's nothing fowl about these wings"
neumdaddy neumdaddy
January 26, 2004
20 of my finest legions of waffle troops were savagely consumed with little consideration given to their tasty legs. Such a disgraceful way to go. For a waffle anyway. Damn, mass wafflo-cide could've only been the work of...yep, you guessed it: the Methochaun. That little vile bastard is back, and pissier than ever. Tubbs is organizing a reconaissance mission with a few of the remaining, un-stabby bums to recover the legs for dinner tonight. Dinner's important, dadgummit!

So uhh...after the failure of the Q&A session (stern, disapproving look), things have gone to all hell. Wait, only some of hell, not all. Like a few of the layers of hell anyway. So yeah, things are there. At least, some things have already gone there, while other things are either in the process of going there, or are just haven't bought their ticket yet. But yeah, hell's involved, and so are things. And it sucks.

There's been a delay in the deployment of my latest squadron of secret quadrilaterals, and now the enemy have been graced with weapons of kaleidoscopic power: the colors Yellow and Violet. "Cheese" I exclaimed, thinking of the first thing that came to mind when I first learned of their Yellow power. What is it with me & cheese anyway? And always related to women, too. Sorry, Larry, but my blood-and-syrup-soaked daydreams are no place for a beautiful mime. But Yellow?! And [i]Violet[/i]?? What am I to do against such colorful weaponry? Stuffed horse bombs have been rendered impotent after being blanked by a double-coating of their multi-colored firepower. And unless my toy binoculars are deceiving me (which they promised me they wouldn't anymore), that damn Zombie Barbie seems to be flaunting Yellow & Purple facepaint too. Hmm...zombie-barbie look? Yellow & purple? Yeah, I *thought* she reminded me of an aging Paula Abdul in her Laker Girl outfit! Bada bing!

And Whitesnake, ever the rock n' rollin' harbinger, apparently finds purpose is his constant prophesizing of Bogart's coming. I find it quite annoying, and am beginning to relish even MORE so the first opportunity I have to snake a paintball in the back of that pajama-loving infidel's gourd with "Warm Embrace's" venomous accuracy. And I won't be holding it backwards this time either (grr)! Oh yes, my friends and neighbors and friend's neighbors and neighbor's friends. My determination in doing so is sky-rocketing like a thermometer on a hot day tied to a sky-bound launching rocket.

Oh, and Squiggy's on holiday. What in violet blazes was I thinkin'? I should've never allowed him to get out and see 4th Street at such a taxing time (even though I *do* hear it's lovely this time of year). Ugh. I hate being mired in this rut of battle. This has been goin' on for too long, dammit! I dunno, but maybe I'm getting a little disillusioned with all this war & chaos (though I suppose it could be the "Drink").

[size=1]Also: A.M.A.I.L.A. (As Much As I Love A.C.K. [Alienated Cretins for Killing]), I've decided that journal entries aren't quite as efficient using this code as wartime communication (even though it's still perfectly brilliant, I say). Expect it sparingly now. T.I.A. (That Is All).[/size]
Sunil J
May 28, 2008
Doesn't explain half of the things that are going on in the movie. Boo.
broadwaymo broadwaymo
August 25, 2007
Set in 1955, this is the story of the residents of the small town of Northfork, Montana and their surrounding neighbors, who are being re-located to make way for the lake which will power a new hydro-electric dam. It's also the story of a sickly, orphan boy, named Irwin and the priest who's caring for him. Written by brothers, Michael and Mark Polish, and directed by Michael, the film is a veritable feast of visual imagery meant to be gorged upon. I got the feeling that I was viewing an Andrew Wyeth painting which had been infused with motion and a slight touch of surrealism added. James Woods, Nick Nolte, newcomer Duel Farnes and a brilliant ensemble cast, including writer Mark Polish, are all perfectly cast in their respective roles. I'm so thankful that I was in the right frame of mind for viewing this film, otherwise I might have bailed early on and missed a truly beautiful work of art. Awesome...
Hellshocked Hellshocked
May 2, 2007
Surreal, haunting, ingenious, uneven. This is as much a personal work of art as the Polish brothers' debut film, Twin Falls Idaho, was.

With a fantastic cast, amazing setting and a strong visual sense, the film is almost the exact opposite of TFI. If that one was an intimate story with some allegorical elements, this is an allegory with plenty of intimacy.

Expect to see angels, boats on dry land, floating caskets and other surreal images throughout the film, but they are never gratuitous. It is a strange universe the Polish brothers dwell in, a dark, sad universe where loss reigns, but one that makes it 'ok' to laugh at absurdities as we meet them.

It is absolutely a universe worth visiting.
FanGirl FanGirl
½ March 25, 2007
An ark in the middle of a desert, secert angels and the Polish brothers you know it's going to be worth your time.
Matthew H September 9, 2007
A strange, unbalanced movie that tries to do way too much, and I'm not really aboard with the historical fantasy mishmash thing. It was beautiful, though.
James S August 18, 2008
A film of both stark and lush beauty, though the starkness remains mostly on the surface, and the lushness prevails in the depth of its character and meaning as both the town's residents, and the town itself, are drawn through matters of life and death, faith and hope, loss and renewal, and response to final passing.
brholtz brholtz ½ January 24, 2008
I know this movie got a lot of flack from veiwers and critics alike, but this is a very cool little flick. It has an almost dream like quality to it, both a little haunting and eerie. Yes, It is one of those films that you'll have to play your own detective, and have to figure things out for yourself, I know a lot of people didn't like it for that reason. However, I think that's what was so great about it! It blends reality with fantasy and fables, in a mesmerizing mix of a talented cast and lovely cinematography.
OriginalLoon OriginalLoon November 20, 2007
A vastly underrated beautiful study in transitions, life, death and spirituality. Nolte, Woods, and Hannah give gorgeous, moving performances.
mentaljukie mentaljukie ½ June 26, 2007
The Polish Brothers brings the tale of a town that must be moved so that a damn can be built to life.

Moving people out is just the beginning as a sick orphan and wayward travelers meet in a way that leads us to believe their fates are intertwined.
jgibbjr jgibbjr May 29, 2007
the best small film that you've never heard of, featuring big-time actors and compelling Montana scenery.
John D May 22, 2007
This movie is a bit on the sad & eerie side. The town of Northfork is going to be flooded to be used as a man made lake. People are hired to evacuate the citizens of what is left of the deserted town. While this is going on a sickly orphan is close to death before meeting a group of spirits (really weird) that take his spirit in before the town is flooded. Very interesting movie.
tinagriffin tinagriffin February 2, 2007
Off beat- Very different from any other movie I've seen. Polish Bros. did a great job writing,directing & acting in this one.
Allison D June 28, 2006
One of two movies I thought were completely ridiculous and pointless. There probably was redeeming value, but I completely lost track of it when I couldn't pay attention for laughing at the sight of the dog...
Dogwood D ½ May 27, 2013
Strange allegorical movie. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out the allegory. Loved Nick Nolte & the oddball quartet. Wish it would have been just a little more accessible while maintaining the sense of magical possibilities.
Betty B April 12, 2013
Completely disappointed. It held promise but never delivered.