Northfork - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Northfork Reviews

½ November 20, 2015
Many things don't fit together. Nick Nolte as a priest in a non-catholic church?
Why have such old cars from the 30s and 40s yet with a 55 Chevy? Cows out on a desert? Seems to be fantasy like a Bergman movie.
½ April 27, 2014
In 1955, officials try to convince reluctant residents of Northfork, Montana (one of who has built an ark) to leave before the town is flooded by new dam construction; meanwhile, a dying orphan meets a ghostly family and tries to convince them to take him with them. The mildly surreal Big Sky spirituality here may be too dry to inspire as intended, but it does set a unique and thoughtful mood.
½ May 27, 2013
Strange allegorical movie. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out the allegory. Loved Nick Nolte & the oddball quartet. Wish it would have been just a little more accessible while maintaining the sense of magical possibilities.
April 12, 2013
Completely disappointed. It held promise but never delivered.
½ February 11, 2013
It's a strange trip, something like David Lynch and Lars von Trier with a soul. Bizarre, sometimes playing almost like a theatre piece, others with an epic scope beneath vast wastelands. A meditation on the american spirit, and it's intertwining relationship with god and spirituality. There is no character to which to relate, and none of said characters are more than abstract representations of angels, life, death, or god. So, to say it is dense, but original. Like a fever daydream.
December 5, 2012
"There's nothing fowl about these wings"
November 18, 2012
"Don't let your motherly nature interfere with your manhood."
½ July 11, 2012
Unforgettable fable that feels like dreaming.
½ February 8, 2012
I luved this movie, it was sucha good idea, I didn't understand sumthings but still, i luved da visual, music, story and characters.
October 19, 2011
What the Hell was I watching. Two Stars
September 9, 2007
A strange, unbalanced movie that tries to do way too much, and I'm not really aboard with the historical fantasy mishmash thing. It was beautiful, though.
January 30, 2011
weird and beautiful ... just loaned my copy to a friend .. recommend ...
½ June 13, 2010
The sceneries of Montana were truly beautiful, but that's all.
February 26, 2010
(****): Thumbs Up

I think is safe to say that there really is nothing else like Northfork. Strange and beautiful, with a very strong cast of characters. Worth seeking out if you can find it.
½ January 6, 2008
April 1, 2009
thought I would like this based on some of my friends reviews, however, I found this to be totally dull and lifeless. big thumbs down!
½ March 31, 2009
Found this movie boring & pointless for me...
May 28, 2008
Doesn't explain half of the things that are going on in the movie. Boo.
February 1, 2009
Okay so if you paid money and went to see it and endured the whole thing waiting for that falsely promised moment of enlightenment that never showed, I hope you got your money back.

From the marketing, the black and white style, all the strange oddities carefully placed, you felt certain, then less certain, then hoped, then despaired that this movie is at some point going to have a point, and are ultimately angry and pissed off when you realize the whole thing is this farce of a production company's practical joke on you.

Yes, I actually think these people sat around one day and asked the question "What is the stupidest most ridiculous deranged plot we can come up with to lead people around by the nose with for an hour or two and piss them off?" Northfork is their result.

Well, I don't think sucker punching moviegoers is funny.

Oh and also, the stupid little things like it being set in 1950's but them lining up a joke like "What you talking about Willis?" when we know that phrase occurred in a TV show (Different Strokes in the 80's) is just so stupid as to be dumber than the most obvious pun. Or a man sitting in a dress saying "Hello, My name is Cup of Tea...,"

Let me sum my comments up for the production company and writer / producer this way:

Don't put everything you think or dream up on a movie screen, most of it most certainly doesn't belong there. People like you are what youtube is for...put your visual and creative vomit there so you don't cause collateral damage and charge people for the "privilege".

The only redeeming quality of this movie is to use it as an April Fool's joke on someone who doesn't know how much you really hate them. Tell them how wonderful and profound and "must see" this film and then laugh in their faces when they predictably look at you like you are an alien or start screaming at you the next time you see them after they "sucker sit" in front of it.