Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) Reviews

September 20, 2015
Holds up surprisingly well for such an old film
August 29, 2009
Classic horror, the first vampire film.
March 17, 2014
There's a significant difference between retelling a classic and reinventing a legend. What started as a copyright loophole became not one of the scariest films in history, but one of the most haunting. It's a film that is never easily forgotten, as is a few of the later Dracula adaptations. Murneau's expertly paced direction in conjunction with Max Schreck's utter embodiment of the human psyche's deepest fears in a character instills Nosferatu into the history pages as the ground zero of horror film.
November 22, 2011
Deserves acclaim for its place in film history, but it didn't personally work for me. Fantastic, iconic imagery, but not the best storytelling. The vampire's time on the ship takes up a half hour of the limited running time of the movie, and kills any momentum of the earlier scenes. It also doesn't help, due to limits in film technology at the time, for being such a dark film, it's actually kind of bathed in light. The "night time" scenes are too ridiculous to be believable. An important work of silent cinema to be sure, but not one that greatly worked for me.
June 28, 2014
One of the finest of the silent era, Nosferatu remains an influence to the horror genre thanks to its gritty feel and creepy performance by Max Schreck that still delivers some chills even after many years!!!
September 13, 2010
The silent era's most memorable horror film, and the grandfather of the cinematic vampire genre. German expressionist director F.W. Murnau's brilliantly eerie, imaginative masterpiece, which tells the tale of a master vampire named Count Orlok, played sensationally by Max Schreck, who achieves screen immortally with his unforgettable turn here, and adds his own brand of vampiric perversity. He wants to purchase an isolated house, so he sends for an estate agent from Germany to his castle in Transylvania to make a deal. When the agent arrives and sells the house to the Count, he notices that he begins to feel uneasy, and strange occurrences start to happen, the agent becomes trapped in the castle, while the count hiding in a shipment of Coffins, makes his way to Germany where causes many deaths, which is blamed on a plague. Well-crafted, and directed by Murnau, with superb makeup by Albin Grau, who gives Schreck his fearsome features which includes, rat's teeth, bat ears, claw-like hands, bulging eyes and a death-like ghostly pallor. This inspired, superbly atmospheric motion picture is an unauthorized adaptation of Brams Stoker's "Dracula," with names and other details changed, it remains a true horror classic.
½ July 7, 2015
Although not impressive by today's standards this film still holds up and for good reason.
March 21, 2006
The creepiest silent film I have ever seen.
May 13, 2015
One of the best horror movie of all time...
F.w Murnau created the gothic atmosphere in a movie for the first time in 1922.
The technical innovations invented for the movie are now the basis of special effects. The great actor Max Shreck plays the vampire that inspired most of the vampire movies that come after.
Nosferatu the vampire is now an emblematic figure in horror cinema.
May 10, 2015
Shrek's terrifying disposition as Nosferatu adds a whole new layer of horror. Murnau is in top form as always. The visuals and tight structure are to be revered and are frequently mimicked in modern horror with good reason.
March 26, 2015
A huge leap forward for Murnau, compared to "The Haunted Castle". Nosferatu based on Bram Stoker's "Dracula" has everything. The fact that its a 1922 release also increasing the effect on this outstanding horrifying movie. The visuals are very effective with its shadow usage and the characters are carefully dressed. This movie is pure cvlt a such a impact of inspiration that's impossible to measure. Worth mentioning aswell is the scenery, presenting the desolate Carpathian landscape, which is fueling the atmosphere even more.
½ March 22, 2015
Nosferatu is a 1922 German film directed by F.W. Murnau, written by Henrik Galeen, and starring Max Schreck, Gustav von Wangenheim, and Greta Schr÷der.

Liked it, didn't love it. There are so many times during horror films when I think of a smarter plan of action than the characters did, and this movie was just the same.áI totally understand that it is a classic, and it definitely deserves to be. It's important to note the time this movie came from while critiquing it. Things in the film that may seem amateur now were ground-breaking back then.
The film unfolded in a somewhat confusing manner. Something I've noticed about watching these earlier films is that the pacing is strange. It will be moving incredibly slow and/or including scenes that weren't really necessary, and then things that should take a long time happen in a snap with no explanation. I know that's vague but when watching, be prepared for seemingly random behavior stemming from somewhat ambiguous motives. I thought I was having difficulty suspending disbelief, but you can only blame it on that so many times before you have to accept that the film just isn't filling in all the blanks.
It was successful in creeping me out, that's for sure. Interesting enough but I did find myself ready for it to be over a while before it actually was. It has awesome special effects for 1922. There were interesting, creative angles. It is a classic for a reason, definitely, and I'll recommend it, I guess.

Bechdel test: 0/1
Did not pass. Only one female character and her sole reason for existence was to worry about her husband and be in utter despair.

Did I enjoy it? 1/1
Do I ever want to see it again? I would watch it again, yes.

Do I ever want to include it in my own collection? It's already included but I don't think I would intend to buy it if it wasn't.

Bye love you
-Jessie Carlson
June 19, 2014
All modern vampire/cult films owe this movie a debt of gratitude. "Nosferatu" is eerie, gothic inspired masterpiece with a great performance from Max Shrek.
½ March 15, 2015
Nosferatu is an incredible film. It is about Count Orlok who expresses interest in a new residence and real estate agent Hutter's wife. Max Schreck and Greta Schroder give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. F.W. Murnau did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the horror and mystery. Nosferatu is a must see.
December 3, 2013
The story behind the movie alone is enough to make it a classic.
½ February 17, 2015
Sorry, not as scary as "The Exorcist" or the 1933 Dracula with Bela Lagosi.
February 5, 2015
Stephanie Meyer needs to watch this!!
½ January 27, 2015
Wonderful movie. Nosferatu was one of the first adaptations of Dracula, and while the names have changed, the story hasn't much. Orlock is truly creepy, and the story is so well done.

The symphony score is marvelous too. Really gives the story that extra gravitas.
January 13, 2015
Absolutely tremendous. I watched a 2006 reconstruction of the movie on Netflix with musical direction reconstructed from the original compositions. The print is just gorgeous. The movie itself is so well made, from the cinematography to the lighting. I particularly loved the incredible vistas, doorways and thresholds. Also incredible is the editing, including a frantic cutting back and forth between scenes of Hutter trying to get home before the evil force of nature Nosferatu arrives.

Hutter, Jonathan Harker by another name, of course, is tremendously fun. I loved his joy when he woke up in the morning, but he was also great as a frantic husband trying to get home to his wife. Ellen is an incredible hero, and her dramatic gesturing is a wonder to behold.

Then there is Max Schreck as Nosferatu. By today's standards, his vampire articulations and antics might seem silly, but it is easy enough to get into the spirit of German film in the 1920s and witness just how terrifying this creature is. I think what really helped me to get into the mood was how the filmmaker depicted Nosferatu like a force of nature, his coming heralded by premonition, atmospherics, and rats. Lots of rats.

The gestures might be less dramatic, the gore more colorful and explicit, but few horror films today reach the lofty pinnacle set by F.W. Murnau's amazing Nosferatu. I highly recommend this masterpiece.