Not Easily Broken - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Not Easily Broken Reviews

½ December 24, 2009
a paint by numbers only using a trowel instead of a brush, this film has mostly cardboard throwaway charactors and a message that you couldn't miss with both eyes closed.

Said message, all wrapped up in a nice religious bow, seems to be that the only true relationship can be found by submitting to the procreational urges of your man (in other words, here's a film for all you religous right - feminism be damned - sit down, shut up, dumb down, feed your man dinner, give him what he needs in the sack, and bear him children - it's your duty and the only path to happiness - what drivel).

The acting here is solid by the males, but very uneven, especially by the female lead - although she is given a Herculean task considering the script.

Loose ends abound as well as superflous charactors (the luke warm IQ friend is a head scratcher), and set scenes that seem to come from out of nowhere (hey, I know, I'll head down to the basketball gym, because I just know I'll find the bitter alchololic who won't let his son be on my little league team).

In a final, almost self admission, the script writer virtually writes off the physical therapist in a totally unbelievable scene where she, while still grieving the recent loss of her son, gets consoled by the male lead (who has "feelings" for her) and then all of a sudden turns all lusty on him - only for him to turn away and be all noble (since he's just now decided to return to his wife - you gotta be kidding!!!!). The writer has taken a strong and one of his more fleshed out charactors, and then had her turn totally out of charactor - only to finally bury and forget about her (after all, she's just a single woman and doesn't fit into the church marriage theme), as she forgives his "I can't do this" refusal with a simple "I know" - holy!!!!, if you "know" why did you make a move on him in the first place!!! AAAAAARGH!.
½ April 7, 2009
I saw this multi - dramatic motion picture and was emotionally moved as well as spiritually enchanted with the outcome of how this couple watched their trust and devotion in the vows of their marriage gets challenged to the max to the brink of collapse. See this, it is so vividly real....yet believable.
April 7, 2013
A little over-the-top at times, but it had a good message.
½ December 31, 2009
A little preachy and cheesy at times but it's actually a decent film for the most part. Good performances by Chestnut and Henson. Kevin Hart was entertaining but kind of stupid. With a better director and better writing it could have been a good film.
December 14, 2008
Here is an interesting movie that centralizes on love, faith, temptation, resentment, and estrangement. A husband and wife are sorely tested in this movie when the husband?s dreams of playing professional baseball is shattered when he is injured, and begins to set himself up for reality as he mentors and coaches a boys? baseball team while trying to run his own business. The wife, on the other hand, works very hard and is dedicated to achieving all her dreams and living a great lifestyle. As this is constantly a strife, it doesn?t become prominent until she is physically injured in an auto accident and her bitter mother comes in their home to help her recuperate. She becomes a part of the disagreements, and soon begins to concoct a plan of her own that has her daughter following her footsteps. The arguments become a consistent problem, and soon the two are questioning whether their marriage is worth saving as the husband soon meets another woman who is ultimately unlike his wife, in every way. Morris Chestnut, Taraij P. Henson, and Jenifer Lewis stars. Worthy!
February 2, 2013
wow what a powerful and moving film of pain, loss, and tragedy though where there's loss
prayer,self discovery,forgiveness, and love are never far behind you could be damaged,hurt but not completely broken thus becoming stronger mentally , physically and spiritually kudos to the cast and director
May 13, 2012
Happy ending and all, this was well done. The cast, Morris Chestnut, Taraij P. Henson, and Jenifer Lewis rocked. Powerful betrayal of a marriage.
April 3, 2012
Easily deals w/some of the issues that meet newly weds! A must c 4 couples just married or planning 2 marry!
March 21, 2010
the wife and mom irritated the crap out of me in this movie where a wife alienates her patient and long suffering husband by her attitude and accusations. She gets her mess together at the end of the movie, so it has a good ending.
November 29, 2009
This is an alright movie I suspose. I thought the acting was well done, but I did not care to much about the plot and I mostly found the whole thing way to prechy for my taste.
½ November 26, 2009
Plodding, lifeless, and stupid. All the characters are so broad that the barely register and the message is so heavy-handed that it hurts.
½ January 24, 2009
Excellent movie that gives women insight on the male perspective. A lot of strong woman are gulity of behaving in this manner. I believe a lot of woman should watch this movie before considering a divorce or separation.
May 23, 2009
Good movie even though I am not a fan of T.D. Jakes. It told a lot of truths about love, relationships, and how some of us view them and take them for granted.
May 9, 2009
March 31, 2009
This was pretty good. Out of this movie I got that if you love somebody you have to look beyond the surface and think about why u love that person and don't let others tell you how you feel.
½ January 13, 2009
This movie was very, very good. I think this was the better of the two TD Jakes cinematic productions. The storyline was credible and familiar, the characters and issues relatable, it wasn't overreaching in the resolution of the main conflict of the movie and the cast and acting was great - esp Jennifer Lewis. She really made you a believer in the monster-in-law depictions. Taraji finally had a role that demonstrated her real depth as an actor. I would see it again. PLUS Morris was looking extra yummy in those shirtless basketball scenes! Keeping it honest. ;-)
January 10, 2009
The movie was OK, I enjoyed it better than Woman Thou Art Loosed. My only critique was that the word A** was used too much for this to be a T.D. Jakes production.
January 10, 2009
This movie is real and does not pull any punches in reguards to marriages and trials that can come within them. I loved it.
February 3, 2013
I just watched this movie and I loved it.