Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
February 14, 2013
Not Quite Hollywood is a terrific documentary about the Ozploitation genre. The Australians didn't have a film industry, but in the late 60's to early 70's there was a boom in the Australian film industry, and a plateau of films made their way in Australian Drive In theatres. These movies were extreme in nudity and violence and would attract a fallowing. These films set the standards for something great, and in turn, the Aussies were able to carve their niche in the filmmaking world. This is a must see documentary for film fans everywhere and it features great interviews with Australian film makers, fans of the genre like Quentin Tarantino and James Wan and actors Jamie Lee Curtis , Stacey Keach and Dennis Hopper. This film is insightful and tells a terrific story of this truly unique film industry that is more insane than the American film industry. I've seen some truly great documentaries, but Not Quite Hollywood is really one of the best documentaries I've seen in quite some time. The film goes through the various genres from the first few low budget schlock flicks that relied on nudity and crude content to more stylized picture that had better storylines, intense stunts and above better acting. The filmmakers being interviewed discuss how the Aussies influenced their work and how they enjoyed these thrilling, obscured films. Tarantino is prominent here, and I personally feel he's one of the best directors working today and I also feel he's a highly knowledgeable film expert. Now I really loved this film and I highly recommend this film to every cinema fan. This is insightful and you will be very happy that you saw this. From start to finish this film is pretty insane as you hear the stories from the Aussie filmmakers discussing their body of work. A documentary definitely worth seeing and is highly engaging from start to finish.
Beefy
January 25, 2011
Thoroughly enjoyable look at the history of Ozploitation films. Added so many movies on to me want-to-see list it's not even funny. Even if you don't like the subject matter, it's hard to dislike the enthusiasm of those involved.
gor41
July 16, 2009
Fascinating journey through the seedy underbelly of Australian cinema which threw up Mad Max and inspired later genre pieces like Wolf Creek. Highlights the raw, gonzo energy sorely lacking in much of today's bland Hollywood product.
June 28, 2009
I now have like 25 more movies I need to see...sigh
The list never ends.
Harlequin68
½ September 9, 2010
"Not Quite Hollywood" is an entertaining and extremely nostalgic documentary about Australian exploitation movies during the 70's, made with a carefree attitude(sometimes too much so), after censorship lessened to allow nudity and gore in films. Most of these movies were made for drive-ins(and would later end up going straight to video or Saturday nights on SyFy) and were either raunchy comedies, horror or action but still managed to occasionally attract talent from Hollywood, leading to enough Dennis Hopper stories for a lifetime.(And I didn't realize David Hemmings' career was so varied...) Of them, I think I remember seeing "The Survivor" starring Jenny Agutter, Robert Powell and Joseph Cotten and "Road Games" starring Stacy Keach and Jamie Lee Curtis looks appealing in a derivative sort of way.

With interviews with cast members and fans(enough here to seriously doubt Quentin Tarantino's taste in movies), "Not Quite Hollywood" also takes a few shots at prestigious Australian movies made during the same time including "Walkabout," "The Last Wave," "Breaker Morant" and "Picnic at Hanging Rock" which were provocative in their own right, especially on the subject of national identity. Despite the documentary's shortcomings, it is a worthwile exploration about a forgotten part of cinema history that should have stopped with the Mad Max movies which were a perfect combination of the aesthetic(nobody got naked but you can't have everything), a skilled filmmaker who knew what he was doing and a charismatic star who was the first crossover star to make it big in Hollywood.
October 26, 2008
A lively and thorough look at the history of Aussie exploitation films.
½ June 11, 2010
Great Documentary! The film looks at the history of Ozploitation and the film industry in Australia from the 70's to early 90's which produced some memorable cinema classics including Razorback, Mad Max, and Mad Dog Morgan among others. Chock full of great interviews from the filmmakers and actors who lived through (barely) the production of some of Australia biggest cinematic masterpieces, and those who have been affected by them including Quentin Tarantino, The Spierig Brothers, and James Wan.
Essential viewing for fans of documentary film.
½ January 11, 2010
a doc with lots of boobies, blood, and things blowing up. fun stuff.
½ January 7, 2010
Really informative and really fun doc about Austrailian exploytation films of the 70's and 80's. What I liked the most was the fact that I haven't heard of 95% of these films. All of the films showcased have plenty of T&A, gore, action, and I plan on looking for a few of these titles. The only problem I had with the doc was the style. Mark Hartley starts off at a manic pace and throws every graphic he could find on the screen. It takes a good half hour for this film to settle down and start to give you information. Once that happens it becomes loads of fun and you find yourself jotting down a few titles. Great interviews with the people involved and it opens up a period in cinema I never knew existed.
Dracula787
December 25, 2009
This is a documentary about the genre/exploitation movies being made in Australia during the 60s, 70s and 80s which ranged from horror movies to action films to sex comedies. As is usually the case with these kind of movie genre documentaries, Quentin Tarantino is an interviewee who seems to know more about the subject at hand than the people who actually made the movies. Most participants are not under the delusion that the movies at hand are any good, which adds a sort of self deprecating humor at hand. Mad Max is the one and only movie featured in this film which I?ve seen, and I have a feeling that most of these would not be very pleasant to actually sit through, but watching the selected clips on display here is actually quite enjoyable. A lot of the movies they talk about are absolutely bizarre, and some of these clips are positively surreal. I?m not really sure that there is much here to elevate this above the many other movie genre documentaries that have been made for TV, but it is certainly an energetic take on the subject at hand.
½ August 11, 2009
I love movies about the joy of making and watching movies. The fact that the movies discussed in this film are exploitation movies makes it even better, and the fact that with a couple exceptions I've never heard of any of them makes it even better. The documentary is thoroughly enjoyable and informative throughout, and even though you can tell most of these movies aren't actually all that great, it still convinces you that you need to see all of them as soon as possible. But the most intriguing part of the film is how these films affected the culture at the time. I wanted more of the Australian film critics saying that these movies needed to be burned and wiped from the face of the earth. I wanted more of everything in fact. I could have happily watched for another hour. As it is, the film is remarkably entertaining and it made me feel sad that I never lived through the time period discussed. Its a must see.
½ March 25, 2009
Entertaining doc that taught me a lot about a whole country's films that I did not know much about. I'm always happy whenever a doc makes me want to look further into a subject and this one did just that. I'm sure I'll see quite a few doozies in the future thanks to this film.
March 8, 2009
A great documentary about the lost Australian films. You won't have heard of half of them but you'll recognise a lot of the actors (Barry Humphries is everywhere!). Tarantino loves this stuff and pops up all over the place but while some of the films are obviously rubbish there is some great stuff here (def want to see 'Long Weekend' and 'Road Games'). Followed this with 'Turkey Shoot' and this really set me up for it. Great stuff.
½ January 23, 2009
This film operates best in your are already predisposed to like "ozploitation". If so you'll love it. I know I had a heck of a time, it's funny, also it does rely mostly on the interviewees talking, it uses lots of footage, images, and cool animations to really present the film as exciting, if not overstimulating. But hell, it's exploitation, and some of the best.
The set up too is interesting, as it goes sort of in chronological order, but mostly by order of sub-genre, starting out with the sub-genre that began relatively the earliest and who's popularity ran out relatively the earlier as well, then moving on as such. They also don't give general information but rather use certain films as case studies to illustrate what was going on at the time, as well as get into the production and reception of the films themselves.
The only problem I found is, although I am a fan of his, Quentin Tarantino becomes a little annoying by the end of the film. That being said he knows his shit, and praises the hell out of the films, so it's no wonder he's in it so much.
If you're interested in exploitation and genre cinema, you'll find it hard to walk out of the theatre and not want to see every film featured.
½ July 22, 2008
MIFF '08: I found myself watching this in a crowded cinema awash with industry types in fits of laughter - an awesome audience! Let me give you a list of some of the high-brow topics covered in this new documentary: tits, vaginas, asses, penises, monsters, zombies, animals, blood, guts, fire, crashes, stabbings, shootings, fistings, Quentin Tarantino, Jamie Lee Curtis...and many more. It was a hilarious and outrageous look at the Australian genre cinema collection known as Ozploitation - a period of film-making either loved or hated by anyone with an interest. This doco will be a bit hit, I'm sure. It's certainly got me intrigued enough to go and rent a handful of these "classics".
April 4, 2016
A mediocre documentary about old B movies from Australia. It's certainly niche, and was fun enough, but it wasn't particularly educational in anything that I personally cared to learn about.
½ January 30, 2015
A documentary about Australian exploitation film boom of the 70s. Hilarious and absolutely wild. I think pretty much everyone involved with every film, cast or crew, was interviews. Occasionally it becomes too much and moves too fast. First 20 minutes have more nudity than I've seen in years of films combined. The whole thing is a wild ride. RECOMMENDED.
½ November 3, 2012
With awesome opening credits and animated transition segments, this movie sheds light on the little known Australian exploitation film scene of the '70s and '80s with plenty of entertaining clips from rare movies.
August 28, 2012
Mostly Just a Chronology

It seems to me that a lot of the problem with Australian film--both the Ozploitation described here and the art house Australian film I've reviewed elsewhere--is that it's trying to catch up to American film instead of finding its own way. As I write this, I'm watching the deleted scenes, which are more detailed explanations of some of the films profiled in this documentary, and Graham said, "So, this is what they could have used instead of Quentin Tarantino?" Because while there probably isn't actually fifteen minutes of Quentin Tarantino talking during this movie, it certainly feels as though there is. It's also true that Jamie Lee Curtis, when talking about her experiences making one of the films profiled, says she was asked, "What does it feel like to take jobs away from Australian actors?" It feels as though Australian film felt it needed Jamie Lee Curtis and Quentin Tarantino and what have you to give it legitimacy.

This is not an overview of Australian film. While things like [i]Walkabout[/i] and [i]Picnic at Hanging Rock[/i] get mentioned, mostly what this is concerned with is the kind of thing Corman was making in the US, the kind of grindhouse, drive-in stuff that has influenced Tarantino so. This are movies where naked breasts are shown, where kangaroos are killed for no good reason, where hordes of BMX-riding teenagers, with or without Nicole Kidman, roam the streets. Perhaps the pinnacle of this variety of film, at least as American audiences recognize it, is [i]Mad Max[/i], though the documentary doesn't spend much time on it. There was a time when American actors were imported to create a wider audience, but these were the kinds of American films, too, which were never much shown except at drive-ins and so forth. The whole genre kind of faded with the advent of home video, because there were no more double features and few drive-ins left.

There is a place for examining even the stranger aspects of film's history. Just because these films weren't made with any kind of intellectual examination behind them doesn't mean they don't have any. In fact, I tend to believe that the pop culture of a civilization is almost as important as what it produces about itself deliberately. I think you can learn a great deal about a people by what they enjoy, and certainly someone was watching these movies. Some of them made quite a lot of money in Australia. The problem is that I don't think this documentary has any interest in examining the film in any real detail. The deleted scenes talk more about individual films, but it never seems to go into why any of this sold. And the answer to why certain things get made is, of course, that they sell, so if you don't define that, you can't define why they're made. Okay, the naked stuff doesn't much need an explanation, but what is it about Australia that sells a film with a lengthy kangaroo-hunting scene?

An assertion is made early in the movie that Australia had the strictest censorship of any country in the Western world, but it's only an assertion and I'm not sure I'm buying it. Certainly, it got overturned by the time most of these films were made, because there is a [i]lot[/i] of nudity in this documentary. Oh, it's true that essentially all the swearing in the documentary comes from Quentin Tarantino, but about half the films with clips shown in this movie would not be able to get an American theatrical release these days, because they aren't artistic enough for the art houses and the nudity and so forth would get them an NC-17. But for heaven's sake, they allowed partial nudity on television, whereas we in the US currently have people up in arms because we blur ours instead of using the old-fashioned black bars. I'm curious as to the evolution of Australian film liberation, but I don't think anyone involved in this documentary was, and I think that's to its detriment.

Of course, the film of the United States is probably the most successful film on the international market, so it's understandable that other countries would want to duplicate its successes. However, it would be nice if the film of a country could be seen in its own context. At most, perhaps they could have sought out Nicole Kidman, who is at least in some of these movies, and had her talk about the differences between the two countries. Instead, we get that Tarantino git blathering about how these movies were the greatest ones ever made. Which they weren't; even the people who made them acknowledge that many of them were quite bad. It is true that most movies in general are, but there is a place for bad movies. What would have been more honest is, "I saw what these movies, bad though they were, did right, and I wanted to duplicate that." And James Wan (actually Australian!) comes close to that. However, we don't need a claim that these movies were secretly Great Art, because they weren't and weren't pretending to be. Not everything is.