Not Suitable for Children - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Not Suitable for Children Reviews

August 30, 2013
This Australian movie was lovely. At first it's easy to write the characters off as just being completely irresponsible kids in their 20s, but then the tragedy that happens to the lead character, Ryan Kwanten, brings out the deeper aspects of them all. It was sweet, it was poignant, and it made me chuckle more than once. Not your typical rom-com. Very enjoyable...
TomBowler
August 7, 2012
Australia has never had the best track record for normal films. Transvesites in a winnebago, check. Bodies in barrels, check. So it shouldn't really be a surprise that a film about a guy's race against infertility should come out of Australia.

When Jonah finds out that the treatment for his testicular cancer will make him sterile, he sets out on a mission to make a baby before his time runs out.

Such a subject isn't the easiest to stretch out over an hour and a half, so it's a tribute to writers Michael Lucas and Peter Templeman that the film is constantly charming with a wry sense of humour and sarcasm, executed brilliantly by the three leads. The writers have also nailed the characters here, as each of them could easily be locked up in their own stereotypes, but instead are real and layered with hidden depths. Jonah in particular could easily come off as unlikeable after his funny moron schtick wears off, but instead his character imbues the movie with a childlike innocence, despite its initially crude subject matter. Templeman also has a keen ear for every day conversation and the awkward intricacies it brings. Some of the film's funniest moments are in the cringe-worthy conversations between a guy who needs to find someone who wants a kid immediately and his confused subject. At its centre, however, the film is a romantic comedy, and Templeman never forgets to focus on the real relationships developing behind the babymaking farce. The main romance never feels unrealistic or cheaply found. Instead, the two characters grow together naturally through their own developments as characters and understanding of themselves.

Making these characters a reality is a fantastic cast who are perfect for each of their roles. At the front of the pack is Ryan Kwanten. Most people will know the Aussie star from True Blood but he has kept returning home to make independent, cleverly strange films like Griff the Invisible. Here, his Jonah has touches of Jason Stackhouse's stupidity but he's such a likeable guy that he's instantly endeared to the audience. His journey from aloof playboy to earnest adult is forced upon him at first, but by the end of the film he has made the journey in his own right. It's a performance which you can't help but like thanks to Kwanten's great comedic sensibility and an ability to convey a vulnerability and depth in what could easily be a shallow, unlikeable character. His counterpart, Sarah Snook, is more than a match for Jonah as the sarcastic Stevie. She's always the first one to point out the stupidity of a situation and bring a little sanity to the works. However, her sense of humour makes it tough for her to connect with others emotionally, something which Snook displays perfectly. Her awkward manouvering through a real conversation is as touching as it is funny. Ryan Corr provides even more to the comic relief side of things as Gus, the housemate constantly in the dark, constantly on the very edge of knowing what's going on. Other performances from Bojana Novakovic, Alice Parkinson and Laura Brent are welcome additions to an already great cast.

Almost a member of the cast in its own right is the soundtrack. Full of an eclectic mix of party tracks and subtler, softer choices, the music does a great deal to heighten the film while also working in the crux of each scene.

Peter Templeman's direction is a cut above your average indy film: confidently restrained, cleverly dynamic and unafraid of earnest emotion. He handles every beat of the film with the flair of someone who doesn't even realise this is their debut feature. Having written the script, Templeman very clearly understands his subject matter and his characters and, more importantly, how to convey this through his direction. Whether it's an incisive close-up during a key moment for a character or tracking an oblivious Jonah through a pulsing crowd, Templeman adds a mood and a beauty to his film through his camera.

Australia can either make very good films or very bad films. For every Animal Kingdom there's going to be a Bait to follow it up. Not Suitable for Children wobbles a little throughout, but it ends firmly in the good column.

Defining Scene:
The cringe-worthy hilarity of an arrangement with a lesbian couple.
July 29, 2012
I enjoy a good romantic comedy once on a while. The Australian film industry hasn't done much to make a genuine, funny or exceptional film in the genre. But hearing good things about this film drew me to it, and as a romantic comedy/or not it works. Its the thrid film Ryan Kwantan has made in Australia for years now (after Red Hill and Griff The Invisible), and the debut feature for director Peter Templeman. The Story is about some playboy who finds out he has testicular cancer, so he decides he quickly needs to have a child at this time before he can have treatment. Kwantan will always seem to entertain me on any level throughout his career. But I must mention actress Sarah Snook really steals the show hereproving she someone to have a high profile in the future. The film is actually really funny and charming and will be able to beat any rom com I'll see for a while. The rest of the cast is really good along with the character development and smart script. Its one film I do highly recomend people to see, You'll get what you want!
November 29, 2012
This is the first time I've seen Ryan Kwanten in a movie. Much like in Tru Blood, he plays an overtly good looking dummy who has lots of sex and parties all the time. But...he is smarter.

In fact, the script may seem like it'll plummet into vulgarity and sex 24/7 and nudity after the party scene to start, but it doesn't. It actually delivers a likable love story about a guy who is looking for a woman to bear his children before he has surgery to make him infertile. I though Bojana Novakovic looked exactly like Emma Stone. She is the Australian version hands down. Just as beautiful playing the part of roommate/love interest well. The story outcome isn't hard to see, but sometimes these movies just require you to sit and enjoy the ups and downs
February 23, 2015
Basically a good premise with the overuse of the setup/punch gag though a few too many times for my taste but not bad overall.
March 2, 2014
This was definitely not the toilet humor I expected, for the most part. The characters are really likeable, and while the plot is a bit weak, it was just a lot of fun to watch. Definitely got more than I expected with this one.
½ July 31, 2012
This movie surprised me., I was kinda expecting something more dumb & funny, then something which actually looks at ramifications. It has enough brains in it to keep u going with a very thin premise. It has its charm & that's what keeps you intrigued as you start to actually feel for the characters.
½ September 17, 2013
Cute movie, but sometimes it's not enough. As much as I love discovering Australian movies, this one was barely worth the trouble.
½ September 9, 2013
I actually really like this movie. It is still romantic without being formulaic- he gets the "clock ticking" wall in the face reality that you see women go through when they hit the point where they reach a certain age whereas men pretty much don't, they stay fertile. So now he's able to come to terms with what's really important in life instead of having the 20 something year old mindset that there's a heap of time left to worry about it. While at first he's out to just procreate by the time he reaches surgery he's come to terms with everything and has accepted the big picture- finally reaching the level of maturity he needed by thinking things through instead of just reacting in the moment and thinking selfishly. It's not Hollywood style romantic, but it's real life romantic and nobody gets caught in the rain in a canoe.
½ July 29, 2013
I liked this story, but it has been done before. I didn't really like the cast in this one so maybe that dragged my rating of this one down some.
½ July 27, 2013
The big ideas feel indie, but the application feels hollywood/muted at times. Kwanten does reasonably well, but Snook dragged down their chemistry.

Props for effort. It works in parts and falls at others.
June 25, 2013
It's a somewhat funny film with moderately relatable characters and an only somewhat ridiculous premise...
½ February 24, 2013
Breaking down some stereotypes and making you think about a common issue in an uncommon way, this is a smart little flick, with some top acting and fine humor to boot.
May 18, 2013
What a cute and funny movie!!! It was very well acted and I liked the story. About a guy that got cancer and only had a little bit of time to have a baby and the girl to have the baby with was right under his nose. I can't tell you the ending but I liked it!!
½ November 2, 2012
A guy finds out he has testicular cancer and has one month to have a kid before the surgery. Afterwards he has no chance of having a kid. This movie is lacking a bit.
½ May 20, 2016
i don't like his performance, he has the same face all the entire movie...
April 22, 2014
The Ending Definitely Works. The Premise, While Completely Stupid, Also Kinda Works For The Comic Moments It Does Provide..However!! ..The Character Performances & Acting Is Quite Weak. It Almost Ventured Into Lame Pop-Song Montage Territory, But Manages To Save Itself..Only Just!
October 13, 2015
A sweet comedy about a young player who discovers he has cancer and strives to find a woman to get pregnant in a few weeks. Kwanten shows he has life after True Blood as he is adorably cute. Its funny if not a little light
April 3, 2015
With great performances from the leads and a story that has a fair amount of heart with a few laughs, this film shines through the chemistry between Kwanten & Snook. Although the idea and set up were great, the execution is a mixed bag with moments in the film that didn't work too well and even dragged. Overall it's a fine Australian romantic "dramedy" that isn't a waste of your time. C+