97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Not Waving But Drowning Reviews

dee b.
June 7, 2013
Regardless of your generation or gender, there's much to appreciate in this film about two young women moving from their adolescent lives into the wider world.

"Not Waving But Drowning" is the story of Adele, who leaves for New York City, and best friend Sara, who stays behind in their Florida hometown. It could be the stuff of well-trod cliché, but it is not. There are surprising twists and discoveries in their separate journeys as they try to retain their yin/yang friendship. Megan Guinan is wonderful as a multifaceted Sara who seems stuck in place, but might not really be so stuck. And the scene when Adele arrives in the big city is poignant, yet also very funny. Adam Driver is marvelous as the seemingly dorky, yet touchingly honest, new friend of Adele.

There are so many beautiful cinematic scenes: one involves a horse on a train; another involves Sara moving through a field of dandelion puffs that is lovely by itself, and the subsequent scene that reveals why she is gathering them is heartfelt and glorious. The characters develop through multiple experiences that are sometimes uncomfortable or worse. Yet, overall there's so much energy, humor, and truth that the film feels very balanced. The editing and music are dynamic and keep the viewer highly engaged.

The producer and director intrigue us with their short intro film, "The Most Girl Part of Me." It is not directly connected to "Not Waving," but is tied thematically and is a creative addition.
June 4, 2013
I loved this movie! I went to see it with a bunch of friends and it was a blast. It was something we could all relate too. Adele and Sara are awesome and words cannot describe how incredible Slyvia is! I can only hope to meet someone as worldy and fun as her. oooo and that Adam, he's a dorky hunk that I have a secret crush on. From the cast to the filmography, to the sound track I give this movie a 10. Definitely see it!!!
Ben C.
May 29, 2013
I really really really loved this film (9.5/10!). I consider myself something of a film buff and an expert on New York (I lived in NYC from 1997-2004. Yes, during 9/11). I saw this movie in Los Angeles and was absolutely enchanted! Even though I'm a guy and the main characters are girls, I very much related to this amazingly accurate portrayal of what it's like to move to New York to "begin your life". It deals so well with the divide between what you want/expect and what the real world is actually like. The visuals are great and the many of the characters are downright hilarious! I have recommended Not Waving But Drowning to many people and they are never disappointed. I am eagerly awaiting the next film by this fabulous young writer/director Devyn Waitt!!!
November 12, 2012
Vanessa Rae is staring in this movie and we are her fans!