63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

90% Outlander: Season 1

Now and Then Reviews

Nicki M

January 19, 2008
Dull rather than bad. Good cast, particularly the younger girls. Thora Birch and Christina Ricci are always good. The older cast not so good. The 60's setting for the flashbacks didn't personally resonate for me, but I imagine they might for some who grew up in this era, with the outfits and soundtrack.
The story is just too plodding and doesn't really go anywhere. I watched this all the way through when it was first released and remember being bored and unimpressed. I wondered if time and age might have softened my opinion. Unfortunately, I still find it a snoozefest. Gave up on it this time around 40 minutes in.
Jennifer X

June 22, 2007
I really should not like this incredibly stupid movie, but I do. II can't help it, I'm a sucker for girl power reunion movies, no matter how formula they get. And I love how they just sort of pair up toward the end, and then separate, and then return. But seriously: Rosie O'Donnell as Christina Ricci grown up, what the hell?
Red L

December 11, 2010
Interesting that only 19% of critics liked "Now and Then", yet 78% of Flixster users liked it. I am in the 78%. It is always interesting to see the kid and adult version of the same person in a movie, although I had to write a few notes to remember which kid was which adult. To me the adults the writer created from the four kids we are introduced to made sense.
Leigh R

November 9, 2006
Pretty good little drama, chick flick. Astounding cast. Could have played out a bit better, but it was very entertaining and beautiful as it stands.
Conner R

March 28, 2010
I kind've see this as the female equivalent to Stand By Me, just hard not to love it. It's got a great young cast with Thora Birch and Christina Ricci as well as an adult cast with Melanie Griffith and Demi Moore. I really like the idea that it's a coming of age story that covers so many aspects of a person's life. It says a lot within a relatively short time. It's also surprisingly not corny or sappy, quite the opposite.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
Haven't seen this in years.
Jason O

September 10, 2009
Four friends recall their life when they were best friends and they were growing up together and experiencing both great times and bad times. The four young friends (Christina Ricci, Thora Birch, Gaby Hoffmann, Ashleigh Aston Moore) had great adventures together such as teaming up to try and find out the mystery of how a 12-year-old boy died and playing various pranks on each other. That was then. Now they're all grown up and all four (Melanie Griffith, Demi Moore, Rosie O'Donnell, Rita Wilson) of them get together and relive the past and tell about how they're doing now, years later. One thing still holds true. All four of them made a pact to always stick together and to be there for each other when ever they needed it.
"Now and Then" is a good coming of age movie. It reminded me a lot of "Stand By Me," which is one of my favorite movies of all time. "Now and Then" isn't as good as "Stand By Me," but it's still a good movie in its own right. It has its charming and funny moments, and it's serious and depressing at other times. I recommend "Now and Then" to anybody who likes good coming of age movies. It might even remind you of some of your childhood, such as playing Red Rover. Every now and then, most of us like reminiscing about the good times we had growing up such as being able to play games and have a good time without worrying about working or whether or not we're making enough money, I know I do. And "Now and Then" will bring up a lot of great memories for that reason. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I was being generous, this is an alright movie, but nowhere near being in the same league as "Stand By Me." Only part I found kinda funny was the skinny dipping scene, and that was at how unimpressive the naked butts were.
Coxxie M

June 3, 2009
anybody who reads this review: u better not tell a soul that i saw this.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 22, 2008
Just a wonderful,fantastic,and phoneomenal movie!!!!!!!!!
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 22, 2007
eh, way too chick flicky for me
Jason S

December 28, 2006
I liked this little coming of age movie. The casting for the child to adult was pretty spot on as well.
Dannielle A

February 1, 2008
Didn't care for the worldview.
Sarah P

October 9, 2010
One of my favorite movies from my early teen days - and still enjoyable now!
Erin C

November 17, 2009
Pretty boring. There were a few good parts, but it just dragged on for the most part.
Sunil J

April 29, 2008
A bit too Lifetime movie for me but okay.
johnattridge
johnattridge

March 11, 2008
'Now and Then' has been hailed as a 'Stand By Me' for girls, but unfortunately the film is not anywhere near the calibre or distinction of that picture. It is a coming-of-age story with most of the film being a single flashback to the summer of 1970, where we follow the lives and laughs, as well as sorrows, of four teenage friends. What the film does, however, is bookend this flashback with the characters in present tense, all grown up and where one is expecting their first-born. This is my first complaint - these modern scenes are so inescapably dull we are left with a sour opening, and a bad aftertaste. Then the majority of the girls' summer is in fact spent uncovering the mysterious death of a boy 40 years earlier. Why? It's never properly explained. We are just forced to accept such a boring subplot, not to mention countless other convoluted scenes where characters find themselves in turmoil or distress, none of which are convincing enough to satisfy or entertain. The script's weaknesses are so obvious, but also so easily rectifiable -yet the director seems to prefer the fuzzy, insufferable style of so many coming-of-age films. Christina Ricci and Thora Birch are among the standouts of the teenage cast, who are surprisingly more convincing and effective than their older counterparts - some of the casting of which is too, questionable; I had trouble believing that a young, slim Ricci grew outwards into the significantly different Rosie O'Donnell. Still, there is occasionally a surprising jolt of humour in the script, or a genuinely touching moment, but they are few and far between. The film wants to be nice, but sadly nice only means conventional, predictable and lacking in originality.
Haley A

March 18, 2006
A great chickflick.
April 7, 2012
This movie was set in the fictional town of Shelby, Indiana, which is based on the actual town of Winchester, Indiana, where I was born. I love this movie, not just for that fact, but because it's about your friendship.
jam233
February 28, 2010
The good casts boosts this one up to above average. I thought they did a good job matching up the younger stars to the grown up stars. It tends to be a little predictable but it does what a movie should, it entertains.
starlimitz2
September 19, 2009
Not a bad piece of film. I liked the childhood flashback storyline. However, the lower-down storyline was pretty flimsy, I really didn't really like how any of that turned out, nor was I really interested in it to begin with. However, the scenes they had with the boys were priceless. I liked that, but most of all, the surprise cameo by Brendon Frasier was a very inspiring scene. This movie was a lot of things, but for some reason it felt like it was being too many. Some movies can survive without a real plot behind it, but this one just felt kind of empty. Great scenes, great characters, but overall it did not achieve what it set out to do.