Nuts Reviews

½ February 8, 2011
It was slightly unbelievable for me since if I'd such a client to defend who is not willing to co-operate the least, I don't think I'd touch that case. Or else give up easily. Then again, I ain't no lawyer!!! They show her crossing the limits so many times that it becomes hard to digest it that she ain't a nut. Leaving aside this minor problem, the movie works fine as a courtroom drama.
deano
February 18, 2009
Really powerful and intelligent film based on Tom Topor's Broadway play as this is a highly charged drama that raises some uneasy questions.
This is a film that deserves more attention then it originally received, it is honest, though-provoking, and features a brilliant performance from Barbra Streisand as real-life defender Claudia Draper.
Richard Dreyfuss also turns in his usual skilled performance as a lawyer who becomes more passionate about the case the longer he is involved with it. His eventual concern for Claudia is touching.
And Karl Malden, Maureen Stapleton, James Whitmore, and Leslie Nielsen all play excellent supporting roles.
April 11, 2013
Streisand produced, developed the script, and composed most of the music for this showpiece, and her efforts, as usual, pay off, above all in her angry and lively performance.
November 3, 2007
Streisand plays a charcter totally unlike anything she's done in any other film. In my opinion, she gives a very powerful performance. Well worth the rental.
May 28, 2007
Shows that really Streisand wants to play a character -- and she's surrounded by names, names, names! A strong performance, filled with bravura!
March 18, 2007
I truly related to the Barbara Streisand Character in this film and the relationship that she had with her mother. This movie touched me very close to home and I was truly moved by it's outcome.
January 18, 2007
a lot of ppl dont like this movie and everyone wants 2 make her crazy. shes just rebellious. it makes it easy.
April 9, 2015
This piece of work was all Steisand and it's a mess.
September 7, 2014
It seems to me that the problem with this movie is that it was made about 12 years too late. If what we see had been shot in 1973 to 1977 it might feel sort of "edgy" --- but, it feels almost tragically out-dated for the 1980's. That being said, this is an interesting film. Streisand delivers a solid turn in the tradition of a movie star. This is foul-mouthed melodrama. There are moments of unintended camp - such as every male in an upscale Manhattan bar turning his head to check Babs out. ...This would never happen. But, that scene aside she is believable in the role. If you are at all familiar with top escorts -- they are not all traditional raving beauties. Oddly, had another actor been cast in her role it might have made this movie an easier sell. Dreyfuss is quite effective. And, for all the predictability, this movie does offer up a solid reflection of the implications of sexual child abuse and survival. Also worth nothing that Martin Ritt did not offer up the expected 1980's easy resolution. The question of sanity is never answered. Worth a look.
May 2, 2014
Sort of disjointed and not always smooth, 'Nuts' is still a decent enough court-room charade. The two leads are fine, the film does offers a number of darkly comic bites, and it's slickly directed by the late Martin Rift. However, its pacing makes for a grinder.
½ May 30, 2013
Nuts is an excellent film. It is about a high-class call girl who is accused of murder fights for the right to stand trial rather than be declared mentally incompetent. Barbra Streisand and Richard Dreyfuss give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Martin Ritt did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Nuts is a must see.
December 1, 2012
This is one of my favorite movies. I enjoy the acting. I think that the movie is funny at times, and serious at other times. I truely enjoyed this movie and I have seen it over and over.
October 13, 2012
Flawed in some ways, still, beautifully acted by Dreyfuss and Streisand. Barbra has difficulty losing her mega-star identity in the role, but her lines are incredibly and carefully executed...she is pure acting. Dreyfuss over-acts at time, one of his trademarks, but he comes across as believable and sympathetic in response to a system that seems bent on hammering them both. One of my favorite Streisand moments.
February 4, 2012
This is a good movie . . . PROFESSIONAL FILM CRITICS ARE NUTS and give good movies low ratings.

Nuts offers great psychological insight into the motivations of people who are found in unpleasant circumstances.

Leslie Nilson's mother abused him and he tried to kill Barbra Streisand and Barbara Streisand's Father molested her and she became a prostitute (because being molested probably makes you feel worthless over-time and not in control of your own body and actions--abuse effects everyone differently).

At any rate Leslie Neilson's character intersected with Barbara Streisand's character and Leslie Neilson's character is murdered.

Everyone has the potential to be nuts . . . and this movie examines some of the reasons leading up to NUTTY behavior.
September 9, 2011
Friday, September 9, 2011

(1987) Nuts
PSYCOLOGICAL DRAMA

Originally a play before being adapted into a film written by Tom Topor who also provided the screenplay about a self- employed escort (Barbara Steisand) being tried for an insanity plea for killing one of her clients! While the prosecutors are trying to keep her there, she's trying to prove that she is fit to stand on trial and beat these charges out for the charge of manslaughter in the first degree! Richard Dreyfuss, entertaining as always as Aaron Levinsky working as 'Legal Aid' appointed by the State to represent and defend her!

Although, I've this film before, seeing this film again made me realize how annoying and obnoxious the Barbara Steisand character can really be, but the story with the direction from Martin Ritt did a fine job handling it!

2.5 out of 4
May 16, 2011
Awesome movie. Such excellent acting and although I had seen it a dozen times years ago, still enjoyed it again this week. Streisand and Dreyfuss are an excellent pair that are every bit as enjoyable on their own. But the two of them work well together.
January 2, 2011
Do not miss this movie
October 21, 2010
Maureen Stapleton = genius in this otherwise stupid, though strangely engrossing, film
½ January 6, 2010
Stunning!!!
Took my feelings and hung them out to dry ..
Will Watch this again!
December 4, 2009
The best part of this whole movie is seeing Leslie Neilson Playing a rapist. Ahhh, fond memories.