O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

O Brother, Where Art Thou? Reviews

½ August 26, 2014
Typically meandering and enigmatic, O Brother is not quite as great as the Depression it takes place during, but it still displays the Coen brothers eye for historical detail and dry humor and includes some beautiful music and cinematography.
January 22, 2014
The Coen Brothers' southern-comfort-film is a solid hospitable charm. O Brother, Where Art Thou? may stray away and become difficult to understand with the heavy hick-like accents, but it's delightful to hear such dialogue from its dynamic cast, including George Clooney, John Turturro & John Goodman. Regardless of its flaws, the film is comical and stylish in its direction and visual interpretation. 4/5
TomBowler
½ August 2, 2009
Lightheartedly brilliant with a great script torn into by a great cast. Full review later.
Market Man
October 12, 2012
I really enjoyed this film. First off, the soundtrack is amazing but that is something you can expect when T-Bone Burnett produces it. Aside from that, the story is hilarious mostly due to the wild situations that the three main characters always end up in. The ending is a bit of a dues ex machina, but everything before is great.
February 19, 2012
Fantastic telling of the Odyssey for a generation too lazy to actually read the book.
Daniel Mumby
May 19, 2012
The Coen Brothers are at their best when they start with existential darkness or absurdist comedy, and then build in zaniness or whimsy on top of that in small chunks. Barton Fink, for example, has a great story with weighty themes and a pessimist worldview, into which Steve Buscemi's character comes as an interesting and quirky piece of light relief. When they try and start with whimsy and then shove in weighty stuff on top, the film quickly loses its way or becomes self-indulgent, with The Hudsucker Proxy being the best example.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? is interesting because it falls somewhere between these two camps groups. It has the foundation of a great story, being based on Homer's The Odyssey, and much effort has gone into retelling this story with both humour and pathos. But while you've always got a rough idea of where it's going, the film is full of distracting and increasingly unfunny whimsy which makes the storytelling more chaotic. Because there is such a strong, well-known story at the heart of it, it doesn't ever fall apart, but it remains a strangely uninvolving comedy.

Despite claiming to have never read The Odyssey, the Coens have done a great job in matching all the key events in the story to a modern-day equivalent. The direct parallels are obvious for those of us who know the story, but they still work separated from that within the mechanics of the period setting. Some of the creative decisions are inspired, such as the Cyclops being replaced by a one-eyed conman and Ku Klux Klan member, played with typical gusto by John Goodman. There is also a good joke where Delmar and Everett go looking for a wizard to turn Pete back into a human; they end up infiltrating a Klan meeting, and come across the wrong kind of wizard.

Unusually for a film of this scale, the music of O Brother was composed and recorded before filming. It functions like a Greek chorus, commenting on the trials and tribulations of the characters, articulating what they cannot say, and interacting with the characters like a nameless, shape-shifting protagonist. Acclaimed producer T. Bone Burnett used his extensive knowledge of American folk, bluegrass and jug band music to assemble a soundtrack which evokes its period down to the last detail. Even the production has an old-fashioned tinge to it, as if George Clooney and his colleagues were genuinely singing into 1930s microphones.

The scene which best illustrates the music being integral to the action comes when the trio of criminals comes across the sirens washing their clothes in the lake. Like Odysseus and his crew, they are quite literally lured onto the rocks by the sirens' songs, enticed by the beauty which reminds Everett of his wife and the others of the fact that they've not had for some time. The sirens' song is very much of the period, with its multi-part harmony and soothing, seductive refrain of "go to sleep you little baby." But it also conveys the universal theme of temptation which is writ large both in Homer's work and in the criminals' story.

The other huge plus point of O Brother is the cinematography. The film is shot by the Coens' long-time collaborator Roger Deakins, who received his fourth of nine Oscar nominations thus far for his work. As we have come to expect from both Deakins and the Coens, the camera angles are expertly chosen and the compositions are superb. But beneath the position of the camera and manipulation of natural light, there is another aspect to Deakins' work which deserves to be recognised.

The film shot in the summer of 1999, and upon viewing the rushes the Coens were dissatisfied with the amount of bright colours present. They were looking for a washed-out, almost sepia look, to make the film look like a product of its time. Deakins' solution was to colour correct every shot to de-saturate the bright greens into yellows. Not only does this give the film a more old-fashioned look, it also adds to the mythical feel, with the vast yellow fields nodding towards Jason and the Golden Fleece. The film is significant for being the first to be colour corrected entirely by digital means, narrowly beating Nick Park's Chicken Run (although Chicken Run was released sooner, O Brother finished post-production earlier).

So far O Brother, Where Art Thou? seems to be cutting the mustard, both as a quirky adaptation of The Odyssey and as a film in its own right. But the more the film rolls on, and the more quirky its characters become, the less confident we are that the film is in control of all its wild excursions into the period and moments of artistic license. While Homer's story provides an anchor, and its major events are used to keep the plot moving, there's an odd feeling of the ship going round in circles even as it inches further forward.

The best way to explain what I mean by this is to compare the film to Lindsay Anderson's O Lucky Man!. Both films are translations of epic texts, with Anderson's three-hour oddity being a loose reworking of Voltaire's Candide. Both stories are based on a male protagonist who goes on a long journey of self-discovery and encounters many strange evils along the way. Most of all, both films are chock full of interesting or unusual scenes which don't necessarily gel into a seamless, well-structured whole.

Roger Ebert wrote in his review that he had "the sense of invention set adrift; of a series of bright ideas wondering why they had all been invited to the same film." There are many great moments and characters in O Brother, which work well in the same self-contained, incidental way that parts of Quentin Tarantino's films do. But despite the knowing thrill of meeting Tommy Johnson or George Nelson (don't call him Babyface), such encounters never become properly integrated into the plot.

The climactic scene of the film, where the trio perform at the political rally, demonstrates this feeling of characters intersecting and uneasily coexisting. The Soggy Bottom Boys perform their surprise hit, 'Man of Constant Sorrow', the reform candidate recognises them as the men who infiltrated the KKK meeting, and in trying to expose them turns the crowd against him and effectively loses the election. As a result of the success that the Soggy Bottom Boys seem destined to have, Penny gives her husband Everett another chance.

This contrived convergence of all the plot strands is problematic enough. But what's even more problematic is that these storylines break apart almost as soon as they have converged. The Soggy Bottom Boys are applauded wildly and seem destined to be stars - but they don't get signed up and we never hear of them again. The three criminals are pardoned by the Senator, but are then arrested again, and are only saved by the flooding of the plain caused by the building of the dam. And as soon as Penny has given her husband a second chance, they have a massive falling-out over her wedding ring and seem back to square one.

This last point also illuminates the character problems in the film. There is the ongoing problem in several of the Coens' films, where we are expected to laugh at people for the simple fact that they are idiots. The son and campaign managers of Pappy O'Daniel are regarded in the same way as the protagonists in Burn After Reading or Raising Arizona: they're all idiots, and their antics apparently become hilarious on account of their stupidity.

The other problem is with Holly Hunter's character, whose demanding wife Penny stands in for Penelope in The Odyssey. But while Penelope is depicted as the model of loyalty and patience, in the film she is demanding and spiteful to the point of being obnoxious. Not only does she not wait for Everett to return, but she divorces him and lies to his children, saying he was hit by a train. Hunter is a talented actress, but you would have thought the Coens would have given her more to work with, given her contribution to their first two films.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a strange, quirky little film which leaves you feeling both entertained and unsatisfied. As a demonstration of how well The Odyssey translates, it works really well, and its period details are immaculate and enthralling. As an entity in and of itself, it falters on its inability to control and combine its various plot strands. On the whole it's enjoyable but not special, and certainly not the Coens' finest hour.
½ March 25, 2012
In my opinion, this film is criminally underrated. This may be the best use of music in film I've seen (though I admit I am partial to old time blues and country music). The dialogue, especially delivered by Clooney is hilarious. Most of all the imagination behind this Homer inspired, musical journey through Mississippi is irresistible.
paul o.
½ February 11, 2012
Not a classic or coen brothers top 5 but its still goofy with its strange jokes and references. Clooney is great with his slick backed hair as he goes on a journey based off The Odyssey.
MANUGINO
November 28, 2008
They have a plan, but not a clue.

Another good movie by the Coen Brothers. The movie I had to admit was better than what I expected, it was an adventure more or less for those 3 escaped convicts. This movie was good but it's one of those movies for me that I would only watch this one time and that's it. Each character is wonderfully exploited and harkens back to the days of old when films were rich with character actors whose very appearance in the film adds richness, texture and authenticity. George Clooney is magnificent as the grease haired Everett Ulysses McGill, a honest con on the run whose pompous linguistics and vocabulary are comical and endearing. If you're a Coen or Clooney fan this is the film for you.

Everrett Ullysus McGill, sick of breaking rocks in the heat of a Mississippi summer, escapes with his two dim accomplices, Delmar and Pete. Trying to reclaim a buried treasure before its lost forever underneath a lake, the three make their way to Everett's homestead. Along the way, they meet a conniving one-eyed Bible salesman, a blind prophet, a trio of sexy sirens, and a man who sold his soul to the devil. In their race to reach the treasure before it's flooded, they end up crashing a Ku Klux Klan lynch mob, help a sensitive Baby-Face Nelson rob three banks in two hours, and even have enough time to put out a best selling record as "The Soggy Bottom Boys."
blkbomb
February 26, 2011
Everett: What'd the devil give you for your soul, Tommy?
Tommy Johnson: Well, he taught me to play this here guitar real good.
Delmar: Oh son, for that you sold your everlasting soul?
Tommy Johnson: Well, I wasn't usin' it.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? is, for me, one of those movies that you can watch over and over and it will never get old. It was my first taste of the genius of the Coen brothers and I see it as one of their top 3 films and their best comedy. The story follows 3 men who have recently broken out of prison, Ullyses Everett McGill(George Clooney), Pete(John Turturro), and Delmar(Tim Blake Nelson). They are out to dig up a bunch of treasure that Everett had stolen and hidden(or so they think). Along the way the run into a black guitar player who sold his soul to the devil, Tommy Johnson(Chris Thomas King), who embodies the legend of Robert Johnson. They also run into George "Don't call me Babyface" Nelson(Michael Badalucco), a one eyed bible salesman(John Goodman), and the Ku Klux Klan. The film is beautifully shot and contains some very good music including the famous, " Man of Constant Sarrow." Definately a favorite for me.
DreamExtractor
½ March 1, 2011
The Coens bring out some of their best work when trying to make a movie based on the Great Depression and Homers Odyssey. The movie is funny, cool, and a great movie all around. Acting was fun and you could tell they had a fun time doing this
½ March 27, 2011
I can see where the Coen Brothers were going with it, but I never caught on. I laughed maybe twice, and much else wasn't too hilarious. A good try, but failed in my opinion. Only because I know the Coen Brothers are so much more talented than this.
April 14, 2009
i dont want no FOP #*%dammit i want DAPPER DAN!
January 5, 2011
George Clooney makes this film his. (As he does with most movies). It's irreverent, humorous, and insanely loopy. LOVE IT!
½ May 7, 2007
In their Deep-South, Depression-era take on The Odyssey, the Coen brothers give us a truly unique and original film. I found myself focussing more on trying to remember The Odyssey during the first part, but as the story went on it became more charming, and (like its source material), it really made its money in the final act. Quirky, interesting film-making, and though it's not without its flaws - Clooney's accent is pretty inconsistent, and the songs are so obiviously not sung by the cast that it hurts - it's a film with a thoroughly thought-out aesthetic that I know could watch again.
½ December 9, 2008
With its classic charm of the Mississippi, this film branched into prison, racism, and lifelong romance with music a la Soggy Bottom Boys. One of the more interesting Coen brothers ventures, this is one of my favorite films, and Clooney doesn't look half bad neither.
TheDudeLebowski65
October 6, 2010
I've read constant positive reviews about this film, but I never got around to watching it. I bought it recently, and I watched it, and was plenty surprised. I love the Coen Brothers, every film that I have seen of theres has been well executed with rich characters, and plot. This is no different than O Brother Where Art Thou? Based on Homer's Odyssey, the film follows three prisoners, Everett Ulysses McGill, Delmar and Pete. These three escape from prison and go on quite an adventure as they only seek to go home and start fresh. Like every Coen Brothers film, this film has a colorful bunch of characters. Many have said that this is laugh out loud funny, and it is funny and comical, but it's far from hilarious. This is funny in Coen Brothers fashion. George Clooney is well suited for the part he plays and I find it amusing how he obsesses about his pomade. This is another great film for The Coen Brothers, and they again deliver something new. Thats what I love about the Coen Brothers, they are like two cameleons, they always diversify their films, not specify to a specific genre. They can handle every film genre with ease and make something watchable with it. They're truly two talented minds. O Brother Where Art Thou? is a truly unique film for the Coens, and is a very well done film. Like everyone of their films, O Brother has an incredible cast of talented actors, eccentric characters, and weird storyline. By watching the featurette, The Coens said they we're trying to do a film with the three stooges and blend it with Homer's Odyssey. Well you have three dimwitted escaped convicts and you the overall story. O Brother Where Art Thou? is another great film from Joel & Ethan Coen. Everything you'd expect from them is here, great, richly developed characters, a funny, interesting story and superb acting and directing. This is another terrific film from the Coens, and if you loved Fargo, Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski, you're guaranteed a good time watching O Brother Where Art Thou? Another memorable comical Coen Brothers film.
flixsterman
January 3, 2009
This is one of those films that grows on you over time. My opinion has progressed from 'mildly amused' to 'outwardly impressed' in the decade or so since it's release. All hail the genius that is Ethan and Joel.
BEACHBUNNI
February 6, 2008
O Brother, Where Art Thou is a comedy film written and directed by the Coen brothers,, set in Mississippi during the Great Depression (specifically, 1937) It was released in 2000. The hero of the film is a dapper, smooth-talking CON MAN, named Ulysses Everett McGill (Clooney). Everett (as he is referred to in the film) escapes from a chain gang and brings along the two fellow prisoners chained to him, Pete (Turturro) and Delmar (Nelson) with the promise of recovering buried treasure from a heist. In truth, this is just a lie he tells them to get them to come along with him back to his wife and their seven daughters before his wife marries another man..
As fun as O Brother Where Art Thou, can be, it does has an overlong, dragged-out sort of feel to it i think
July 21, 2010