67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Objectified Reviews

Harlequin68
Harlequin68

September 28, 2010
"Objectified" is a mildly interesting documentary about design that sadly has more to do with symbolically and futilely trying to reinvent the wheel but little to do with building a better mousetrap. Actually, towards the beginning there is some focus on crafting household items, like potato peelers, that are easier for people suffering with arthritis to handle. But most of the documentary concerns the outward designs of objects to make them more palatable for consumers. While much attention is paid to the coolness of the designs, the concept of planned obsolescence is pretty much ignored. And I know creating new designs can be used to fight against an increasingly disposable world but some items were simply meant to be used and thrown away. For the record, there is one item I would run inside a fire to get and that is my DVR which is an entirely practical choice.(Sue me, I'm not sentimental.) And is a $100 pen any better than the cheap pen I used to write up this review in my one subject spiral notebook? Admittedly, we do need some variety in life, or else we're going to be on page 80 of "Brave New World." And with Smart Cars, especially the yellow ones, you have the perfect combination of efficiency, function and a funky look, to offset the ugly, gas guzzling SVU's.
Jeff T

May 13, 2009
Like a very well-produced Nova special, or a Discovery channel in-depth program, this documentary about industrial design is interesting and chatty and slightly dry. Some interesting stuff, not dull, but I like my documentaries a little more . . . grabby.
Blaster1618
Blaster1618

September 11, 2010
Darn, you already pushed the thumbs down icon and you haven?t read the review. This move is really focused for people in to the design of anything material. Having people verbalize about the creative process is like asking writers to paint about writing. The real interest is in the subtext, the people who are interviewed are obsessed with design, as I can say I am also. The though kept sneaking into my mind that none of the people interviewed have children except Marc Newsom. In the extra he explains he has a 9 mo old daughter and goes on a rant about the state of design of highchairs and other children?s goods. You can see the sleep deprivation in his eyes. There is a deep inner connection between creative drive and raising children. The most brief and most enjoyable interview is with Dieter Rams head of industrial design for Braun. Definitely catch the extended interview in the extras (yes they?re there you can only get there through the pop-up menu button). Naoto Fukasawa give some in site into Japanese asthetic in a rambling train of thought exposition. The opposite is Poala Antonelli who gives this boring academic long winded history of design, she has to be a uncreative barren and bitter designer.
juliantoepfer
October 6, 2011
A very interesting documentary about industrial design. I found it particularly interesting as an artist, but I have a feeling I would have liked it regardless.

Its a little long, as I definitely was ready for it to be over, but it does a really terrific job at chronicling the painstaking design process that (if done right) goes completely unnoticed by everyday consumers. Full of interviews with high profile and very influential designers from big name companies who offer alot of professional insight, but it is presented in an unobtrusive and seamless way. Despite their professional demeanor, this makes it very accessible.

All in all, its a little long and gets a little spaced out, but a pretty interesting look at a world that not many people see, or even give a second thought about.
January 31, 2011
Ahhh... what a charmer of a documentary.

It's edited like a lovely dance...swaying from shot to clever shot of things as simple as chairs...and you will never see chairs the same way again. This doc will open your eyes to the world of design and how beautiful, and interesting it really is.

Just as with another great documentary, Helvetica, the music of El Ten Eleven is the stellar icing on the cake.
November 25, 2010
I now harbor greater distaste towards designers and their obsessive need to control their environment because "they know what's good for people."
September 6, 2010
I've never written a review before and I don't have a whole lot to say about this film, except that I liked it a lot and will watch it again. I know nothing about design, but has encouraged me to look at the world a bit differently. Why are there uncomfortable chairs? I think I'm a novice minimalist, if that is even possible. I want things to look clean and it doesn't have a real function, don't bother. I think there is so much, so much stuff coming at us.... less is best.
HeroPK
August 16, 2010
Design in objects have become more relevant in recent years. Who doesn't own an Apple product? This focuses on the astestics of many objects that cosumers by and the design of them.
wisoka
August 2, 2010
Interesting but I was pretty bored through the whole thing. And I understand the point of this movie was the provoke thought and not to entertain me but if I'm not even engrossed in the dialog, it's hard for me to pay attention. I'm not sure why this didn't hold my attention like Helvetica did.
March 23, 2014
Not bad, some good points and some interesting characters
Andy G
January 30, 2013
Perceptive, but lacking any astounding understanding of the subject.
Justine P.
December 16, 2012
Lacking in structure, but full of interesting snippets.
November 16, 2012
Hieno dokumentti muotoilusta.
December 2, 2010
Good design should be innovative, useful, aesthetic, understandable, honest, unobtrusive, long-lived, consistent, environmentally-friendly, and as little design as possible. That's IKEA, BMW and Apple.
September 4, 2012
Really Really Great for design nerds, but probably not for anyone else
Luke W.
July 18, 2012
Fascinating doc about object design, definitely not a subject I would have filmed.
June 6, 2012
Watched this during our class and it was awesome.
June 5, 2012
Objectified engages and illuinates the intricacies of the world through the lense of designers, bringing insight and illumination to the viewers.
October 16, 2011
If you're interested in design and to oogle at pretty things, this is a great film to check out.
March 12, 2012
If everyone stops buying into mass produced poorly designed objects, we would raise the standard of objects. Walmart would be more like Ikea. Its Quality, not Quantity.