90% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

Ocean's Eleven Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 14, 2007
A rarity--a remake that's better than the original. 11 men led by Danny Ocean (George Clooney) prepare to rob a vault linked to 3 casinos in Las Vegas. His partners in crime include Brad Pitt, Carl Reiner, Elliot Gould, Casey Affleck, Matt Damon and Scott Caan. Also, the casinos are owned by Tery Benedict (Andy Garcia) who is romancing Ocean's ex-wife Tess (Julia Roberts). Fun, engrossing, just simply the most enjoyable film of 2001. It moves smoothly, the entire cast plays it cool and easy and Steven Soderbergh directs it with flair and intelligence. Yes, it's light; yes, it's a trifle but it's so FUN! I really loved this film. Affleck and Caan are hilarious as bickering brothers. My only complaint--Julia Roberts (the only woman in the cast) is shot very cruelly. She's beautiful so why does she look so bad? Aside from that this is a fun movie. Just sit back and enjoy. 3 1/2 stars Updated from 9-27-07
thmtsang
thmtsang

May 26, 2007
Movie about a group of guys who rob three Las Vegas casinos in one night. My fave scenes are when George explains the plan to the guys and when he forgets the batteries for the remote. Brad, George and Andy are hot! The cast are great, the plot and the twist at the end are all brilliant.
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
George Clooney's portrayal of the famed Danny Ocean fits well with the adaptation of the remake to a modern-day Vegas-based heist film. The colorful cast including Damon, Pitt, Cheadle, Mac & Roberts. Ocean's Eleven plays well with it's own time and environment. 4/5
KJ P

January 14, 2010
I may be overlooking something here, but everything just seems entirely smooth with this film. As Danny Ocean (George Clooney) is released from prison, he assembles a team of eleven people to rob three of the most profitable casinos in all of Las Vegas. The plot is huge and the payoff will be gigantic. They are in the running for over 163 million dollars. The cast is brilliant and the writing is superb. Sure there may be some annoying edits throughout the film and there will be some noticeable stumbles during the robbery, but "Ocean's Eleven" delivers on everything. When the film ended, I applauded it for making me believe that I was watching more than just another heist film. This film is terrific!
Sanjay R

March 24, 2011
A smart, funny, very suave movie with a great cast. The only fault is how calm, confident and coy they are as they rob a major casino's vault, but a great movie once you make peace with the fact that it is a movie, not real.
Drake T

March 29, 2012
The first of a trilogy of what I believe to be the most revered 21st century heist films, Oceans Eleven is well acted, stylish, unpredictable, witty, hilarious with credible character emotions and chemistry.

It's not just the fact that there's so much star powered included but it gives each character enough screentime to really work their chemistry. It's a smart, fun script working with an escapist premise grounded by real life potentialities.

A whole lot of fun packaged into multiple characters with plenty of personality and back-story further accentuated by a suspenseful well directed story with plenty of style.
Jason S

December 26, 2006
good heist
Albert K

September 18, 2010
"Ocean's Eleven"'s got style, but not as much as 12 & 13. Surprisingly, the editing and cinematography takes a back seat, but the narrative is what makes it so entertaining. I disagree that its the best Ocean's movie out of the 3, but it's a good time.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 20, 2011
An instant classic of the heist genre with a very classy and sophisticated ensemble cast. Also, the comedy doesn't take charge of the very thought out plot, not distracting you from the thrils of the caper. That said, Ocean's Eleven is near perfect popcorn entertainment that's witty, clever, stands out from the rest of it's genre and is superior to the film that inspired it.
paul o.
paul o.

December 11, 2011
Its Sodenburgh gone mainstream so this based on your preference, this could be good or bad. Personally I find this a great film to watch on a friday night with some friends.

Theres a review that says this film is a polished turd...I agree with him. But its a polished turd by sodenburgh so you'll now its watchable.
blkbomb
blkbomb

December 1, 2011
Reuben: You guys are pros. The best. I'm sure you can make it out of the casino. Of course, lest we forget, once you're out the front door, you're still in the middle of the fucking desert!

"3 Casinos. 11 Guys. 150 Million Bucks. Ready To Win Big?"

Oceans 11 may be my favorite Steven Soderbergh film. It is the perfect heist movie, with the perfect director and the perfect cast. I love how the movie moves and takes twists and turns that you don't think the characters planned, but in reality they did. The heist scenes are so well put together and so fucking fun and entertaining.

A conman, Danny Ocean, gets out of prison and decides to put a new heist into action. He assembles a gang of conmen, with a goal of taking three Las Vegas casinos for more than 150 million. Danny has a little bit of a beef with the man that runs the casinos, so that makes the heist all the more interesting. Some things happened that I honestly didn't see coming. The movie is extremely well put together. I don't know how it fares comparatively with the original, but I can't see that movie being better than this one.

Like I said the cast is pretty much perfect. There's George Clooney, the Soderbergh go to man, as Danny Ocean. Brad Pitt is the other leader of the heist. Then there's one of my favorites, Don Cheadle, who has a British accent in this movie and is absolutely phenomenal as he normally is. And then actors like Matt Damon, Casey Affleck, Andy Garcia and Julia Roberts have supporting parts. Can you put together a better cast?

I've seen this movie a few times now, but have never seen the sequels. Every time I see Oceans, I am more and more blown away with just how technically well made it is and just how fun it still manages to be after multiple viewings. It is simply put, my favorite heist film of all-time. It is not a typical masterpiece, but a masterpiece all the same.

Linus: Apparently, he's got a record longer than my... well, it's long.
Graham J

October 26, 2011
Great casting and masterfully directed by Soderbergh.
TheGame90
TheGame90

December 20, 2007
It was exactly how I expected it to be. And that was good...
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 31, 2011
Ocean's Eleven in my opinion is the best of the three films. I felt it was the easiest film of the three to get into, as the sequels were decent to awful. However this entry is well done. The film has an interesting story, one that kept me interested to the very end. Not only that, but the cast was terrific and they all delivered something good on screen. The film is very entertaining, and is well done considering it's a remake. The cast is terrific, and it really holds the picture together. There are plenty of good action bits mixed in with humor and Ocean's Eleven is really the one to see. I'd recommend you'd pass on the sequels. This film is the best of the three, and the sequels tend to cheapen the film. Ocean's Eleven is a wonderful, exciting film that's a lot of fun. I think it's a shame that the sequels failed to capture the thrills of this film, as this one was well crafted. If you're looking for a good, fun crime film, then Ocean's Eleven is that film. This is an entertaining, well acted film that is the best of the three, and I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I felt it was a fun film to watch with a good blend of action and comedy. A must see if you like something different in the crime genre.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
In retrospect, its hard to find anything not to like in Steven Soderbergh's fun heist adventure 'Ocean's Eleven'. The cast is top of the class in terms of entertainment value, the script is solid with few holes, and Soderbergh directs with a steady hand that displays style and charisma. The film carries so much charm and fun, its hard to deny it. It works almost perfectly as a heist movie, but falls a little flat as a comedy. Even so, 'Ocean's Eleven' is one of the top heist movies out there. If you can follow along, this film comes highly recommended for anybody.
Eric A

July 31, 2011
Fun, fast movie with lots of style and swag. When you a movie makes you root for the bad guys, you know it's good.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
There were many points in this film where I just could not stop laughing. Not as much the two sequels.
Jay H

July 16, 2011
With its all-star cast, intriguing plot, and humorous script, you can't help but enjoy yourself as the film's two-hour running time flies by like it's nothing.
murphmann93
murphmann93

July 6, 2008
All of these films are brilliant without a doubt.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 13, 2011
A fun, exciting, and cool movie. An all star cast makes this a great heist movie.