The Octagon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Octagon Reviews

deano
March 21, 2007
It's my first-time American martial arts movie to deal with ninjas I watched. Super duel between Chuck Norris and the excellent Tadashi Yamashita, instead comes an unbelievable letdown.
½ February 28, 2008
My first Chuck Norris flick (save Sidekicks) and I gotta say, I didn't miss much.
I mean this film is basically worth watching for yucks only. There are some incredible unintentional laughs (ie Chucks inner monologue (that appears an absurd amount) posseses an echoey whisper to it that just kills me). I never realised how gentle souled Chuck seems either. Plus, in 2008, the presence of ninjas in a film is just ridiculous.
This sucker was a hoot, but I know I didn't miss much with the lack of Norris in my childhood.
P.S. The joke that Chuck has no chin, that under his beard is just another fist, is sadly debunked in this film as he only has a creepy mustache.
March 18, 2015
Having Lee Van Cleef in the film already makes it better than any of the previous Chuck Norris films. And Chuck Norris gets to fight ninjas this time.
May 28, 2013
68%

"They wern't terrorists, they were ninja."-Scott James (Chuck Norris)

Ninjas are cool, I some day wish to become a master ninja, but I dislike ninjas who can be taken down it two moves or be shot.
½ April 9, 2013
Okay, so what I'm realizing as I start to dig into Chuck Norris' filmography is that I just haven't seen any of this stuff before, which kind of surprises me. That said, this was pretty fucking silly, with Norris corn-ball echo-y voice-over really driving home how silly certain scenes are.

Pass, unless you have buddies to poke fun at it with, or you are more of a fan than I appear to be.
January 20, 2013
One of the worst action movies I have ever seen! The Script is a mess, the acting is awful and its not even funny. Avoid at all costs!
October 28, 2012
I would have liked Chuck Norris versus a whole army of ninjas, but hey, can't complain. Also Lee Van Cleef was in it. Cool.
2010 movies:42
½ February 21, 2011
They weren't terrorists. They were ninja.

Scott James has experienced an array of tragic events in his history that have left him disconnected from society and a bit eccentric. Scott is an expert martial artist and protects a female from a group of terrorist ninjas that are hell bent on spreading across the globe. When Scott discovers the ninjas are lead by two individuals that helped ruin his life, he will stop at nothing to bring them down.

"I'd like to believe you."
"But?"
"I don't."

Eric Karson, director of Opposing Force, Black Eagle, and Angel Town, delivers The Octagon. The storyline for this picture is awful as the hero seems to be a schizophrenic, former military, former martial artists, and current terrorist expert. I'm not sure what direction this film was heading. The script was atrocious and so was the acting. The cast includes Chuck Norris, Lee Van Cleef, Karen Carlson, Art Hindle, and Richard Norton.

"Are you less than inspirational?"

The Octagon was a film I came across while looking for Lee Van Cleef movies. I couldn't believe he starred in a picture with Chuck Norris so I had to see it. After watching this; actually, I didn't need to see this. The inner monologue was hilarious at first but a bit tedious as the picture dragged on. The plot was painful and the acting was dreadful; however, the action scenes were better than average and worthwhile. Overall, skip this picture unless you are a huge Chuck Norris fan...and even then I still might recommend skipping this.

"Have you hugged your rifle today?"

Grade: D
May 15, 2010
Typical Chuck Norris movie, meaning there is a basic plot (which is mostly the same in each movie), fair acting, and lots of decently choreographed martial arts. If you've seen one, you know what you are getting with just about any of them. I was really turned off by the "whispering" meant to signify what Scott James was thinking. The acting here was on the poorer side for a Norris film. Lots of crappy dialogue. The martial arts are the only reason to see this.
April 11, 2010
I really don't see how anyone could enjoy this film on any level at all. The amount of ridiculousness that this film delivers is just astounding to me. I really didn't know that these types of movies could be this....stupid. This is definitely one of Chuck Norris's worst films.

I would like to discuss the plot, but in this movie the premise is so all over the place that it's really hard to notice that there is even a plot at all. At one moment I'm looking at a Ninja training camp, and the next scene is some guy taking a machine gun out of a baby stroller, shooting up a car. It's really annoying, and really confusing to even pretend that you know what's going on in this film, half the time. But for a plot, I guess Chuck Norris has to kill his brother. That's basically it. Everything else is just stupid.

There are a lot of little things in this movie that really piss me off. But one of the worst and most stupid things that happens in this movie, is when Chuck Norris is reading a newspaper, and there is an add to be a mercenary soldier. I mean come on, are you serious?!?!?! First of all, I couldn't breathe I was laughing so hard, but at the same time, I was upset by how stupid it was. It's just one of the little things that makes this movie dumb.

Chuck Norris really doesn't do anything in this movie. He says a couple of lines, and then he beats the crap out of some people. But I guess that's how it always is, so it's not like I was expecting anything different.

Maybe I wouldn't complain as much if the film was kind of ridiculous and the fighting was alright, considering it's a Chuck Norris movie, but the fight scenes in this movie are so poorly coordinated, that they aren't even fun to watch. I'm just staring aimlessly at the screen while Norris beats some guys up in really stupid ways. That kind of pissed me off too.

"The Octagon" was one of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. The whole idea of it was stupid, the acting was atrocious, the fighting was atrocious, and the all around existence of this movie as a whole is completely unnecessary. A VERY bad movie.
March 6, 2010
If you love B-movies, this is definitely one of those hilariously terrible movies with quotable dialogue and ridiculous scenes (e.g. ninjas hiding in leafless trees in broad daylight).

If you're not a fan of B-movies, then I'm sure that you'll hate this piece of crap and should only pay attention to my RT rating.
August 31, 2009
The Octagon is about a ninja training compound where terrorists are trained in the art of the ninja. Whomever tries to leave or betray those that run the Octagon are viciously slaughtered along with all of their family. When all-around smooth character/former martial artist Chuck Norris runs afoul of these terrorists, he realizes the Octagon is run by his greatest enemy. He gets pressured ladies to take down the Octagon, but refuses until his best friend goes in to try to take it down, so now Norris must take the entire system down before more people die. Lately, I've been enjoying all of the old Chuck Norris films (most of which, surprisingly, I've never seen). All I've seen so far have been met with great appreciation, however, The Octagon seems to be one of the weaker ones. Aside from the action-packed and entertaining final 25 minutes of the film, the movie prior to the last 25 is a lot of character development and minimal action (save for training camp session action) that goes on a bit longer than necessary, so when the final 25 minutes does come, its a bit rushed and the ending arises a bit unexpectedly. Supporting characters like Lee Van Cleef, who runs a gung-ho anti-terrorist group provides some fun in the movie, Art Hindle as Norris' best friend, and underused hottie Carol Bagdasarian who sports some top of the line side boob that left me begging for more, but never came. Good story and performances, though plenty of unintentional humor, but a little on the boring side (especially for a Norris film). Look for future Ghostbuster Ernie Hudson in a very small role.
½ December 7, 2008
this movie is about his brother who is trainning ninja to kill and chuck stops him by going to were he is
July 28, 2008
The scene in which the ninjas attack Chuck Norris in the house is kinda awesome, the hotel room attack is almost decent, and the last 20 minutes are silly enough. But aside from that, most of the movie is pretty bad. Most of the action kinda sucks. Chuck sports a mustache and not his normal beard in this one, which is probably why nobody takes him seriously when he talks about ninjas.
May 19, 2008
so ripped richard norton co stars good fight scenes. lee van cleef owns. slow storyline and funny voiceovers
September 14, 2007
One of my favorites he shows a lot of his martial art skills and acting of course like the octagon fight really kicks butt
July 22, 2007
In this gem, Chuck Norris stampedes into Central America to rescue the tactless and naive A.J., his only real friend. A.J. is mercilessly slaughtered by the demonic sect of ninjas known only as The Octagon.

Norris swears revenge and must soon confront his brother, Sakura, who he knew was behind it all along, thanks to innumerable self-posessed whispery narrations by Norris himself.

It's a beauty, to be sure. And, with Lee Van Cleef in the bunch, it's guaranteed bad acting all around. Wait, no. I take that back. The black guy from the Ghostbusters films makes a small cameo. He was fine. What's his name again?

Anyhow, it's fabulous. Second only to Death Promise.
½ July 6, 2007
Chuck Norris kicks ass in this 1980 classic Martial-Arts film. He is up against a goup of ninjas that are going to make a traing camp for terrorists. Chuck Norris is awesome and the other cast members are awesome, too.
January 20, 2007
I haven't actually seen this movie yet, but it follows Einstein's seventh law of physics: Chuck Norris Low Budget Ninjas= Movie Greatness.