Octopus

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Octopus Reviews

February 15, 2014
The octopus was shit, seriously, if i'm going to watch a giant octopus film i don't want subtle involved at all! Interestingly though the actual part before they even get near the octopus wasn't as terrible as i thought it would be. I just despair at these movies when they don't play it for laughs AT ALL! Even after years upon years of this genre and it's like there's not even a nudge or a wink in sight. Nevermind, but next time i'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind if a giant freakin' rubber tentacle rose out of the sea and squished someone until their blood and guts were juiced out in some human-insides waterfall. THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN!
February 3, 2012
Incredibly dumb monster movie, shot mostly in extreme close ups to avoid showing the lame sets, has nothing to recommend. The acting is subpar (Jay Harrington wound up finding his place on Better Off Ted, but boy oh boy is he wrong for this role), the storyline annoyingly complex (just shoot the villain!), and the monster seems to be more of an afterthought.

I'm always surprised that movies like this get made because they are broken from their very conception. Let's try a little game. Here we have a move about a giant octopus attacking a submarine. Okay. Now off the top of your head, think of how many ways an octopus could be a threat to a submarine. I got...bump into it. After that, there really isn't anything, so the movie cheats to come up with octopus threats that couldn't possibly exist (somehow it gets a tentacle into the submarine), and then pads out the rest of the run time because the conflict is paper thin.
Sandman1968
December 3, 2011
For a movie called "Octopus", there's a lot going on here, and some of that even has to do with a large killer animal. There's an unusual amount of plot for a movie of this nature, so much so that the titular animal doesn't even make an impact on the proceedings for a full half hour. This film is much more concerned with a terrorist being transported back to the United States in a submarine of all things after blowing up an U.S. Embassy.
I guess it's an important plot device since it's impossible for an octopus to pick off people one by one in a submarine, no matter how clever he may be. The special effects are typically shoddy, with CGI replacing imagination once again, further signaling the downfall of movies on the whole. It's just one more buzz killer in this ridiculous, deathly dull picture. The impending meeting between the sub and the luxury cruise liner shows promise for pulling the movie out of the doldrums, but that is a let down once again. Again, it's marred by sub-standard special effects. And it's only five minutes out of an overlong film that seriously could have used some editing.
The screenwriters try to salvage it by injecting some much-needed humor into the dialogue during the last half hour, but it's too little too late. It just feels out of place in a movie that was serious to the point of absurdity for the first two-thirds. You just have to wonder why they filmmakers thought it would help at that point in the game.
For a movie like this, campy fun was the only way to go, and there's nothing fun abut "Octopus". The title creature is an afterthought at best, and he has very little screen time.
iamthethinman
May 11, 2011
This is a B+ movie, but only as pertains to the B-movie scale. There are many questions regarding the story. Why is a military sub being used to transport a questionably high value internationally criminal target? Why use a military sub for mapping and research? Why is there a game of strip poker in the middle of a control room? Why is there a civilian woman on the sub? Well, this is a B-movie, so all of this is for the sake of creating action and excitement.

All of these things factor into enough silly action to keep the octopus attacks coming. There are plot holes and continuity and logic errors everywhere, but it keeps an interesting pace to it all and has this bizarre terrorist bombed slant that is ridiculous, and just right for this story. Plus, it does a great thing in taking the climax out of the water. Overall, a very good effort for a B-Movie, and this gets the B-Movie A+ of 3.5 stars.
jam233
November 25, 2009
March 30, 2008
good film love the whole giant octupus as a killer.
Jossepi
Jossepi

January 14, 2008
"Uh....Where's the octopus??? All I can hear is some dinosaur sound effect that's supposely the voice of the octopus under water!? This is a classic example of combining two worthless scripts into one masterpiece beyond hopelessness. DO NOT SHOW THIS TO PEOPLE WITH SUICIDAL TENDENCY. THEY WILL KILL THEMSELVES!!
February 3, 2008
HURRAH B-RATED MOVIES!!!!!
thescunk
November 12, 2007
Despite having the potential for being a good monster movie, it isn't. No even remotely good actors. Shitty movie.
dethklokfan
November 11, 2007
Why didn't they just name this boring movie "Random tentacles - now with totally unoriginal monster sounds!". And why call it Octopus if they don't intend to show the "monster" until the end?
Tainja
October 29, 2007
Um... it's called OCTOPUS... but where the heck is it???? The movie was so unbelivable boring, it took 30 minutes to even get a glimpse of the Octopus, and it didn't even seem like it was suppose to be in the story at all, just slapped in so that people who love monster-movies would watch this crap.
August 8, 2007
I found this gem on the Sci-Fi channel at 2am. The acting was bad. The plot took a roundabout way to get to where it did. It took forever to actually see the giant octopus...which special effects wise wasn't good. For some strange reason I kept watching it. I thought this looked like a movie out of the 80's, but find out it was made in 2000. Even better news, there's an Octopus 2!
penultimatesamurai
June 25, 2007
The unfortunate thing about this film is that the star of the show (that's the octopus in case you're wondering) doesn't show up until about a third of the way into the film. Until we reach that moment we're shown how our friendly octopus is going to mutate into a large B-movie monster, in this case it's with the aid of the current threat we hear about in the news - anthrax. Following this we're quickly introduced to some of the characters that are going to be along for the ride, which includes a desk bound CIA agent and his terrorist prisoner, whose capture involves a chase sequence between the terrorist dressed in his best Hannibal Smith old lady outfit and the most spherical CIA agent in existence.

Once we have everyone onboard a sub and cruising along merrily the octopus starts to attack, now you?d expect to start seeing lots of octopus action going on but you get to see very little of the creature, in fact you only really get to see it in all it?s glory towards the end of the film. For some strange reason when the octopus breaks into the sub it?s tentacles are grabbing people and dragging them out of the sub the sub isn?t filling up with water. Amazing.
MrTalbotOO7
April 12, 2007
Entertaining kitchen sink movie featuring better than you would expect special effects and a fun and breezy story. And one HUGE octopus. Certainly no classic, but worth watching if you're a monster fan.
jazza923
October 22, 2006
3.5/10. Stupid movie. The acting is poor, not very suspenseful, the plot is lame. Really dumb. Poor score and not very well edited. Very predictable. Not very involving.