Octopussy Reviews

bbcfloridabound
February 17, 2014
"Octopussy", the 13th James Bond movie, is Roger Moore's best 007 picture. This is a very entertaining adventure with some excellent performances from the cast. "Octopussy" takes 007 to India and Germany were he gets in way over his head trying to avenge the death of a fellow agent by stopping some seriously nasty jewelry smugglers who were involved in the death of agent 009. Moore gives his best performance as Bond, and he's surrounded by a terrific cast. Maud Adams (Octopussy) and Kristina Wayborn (Magda) are wonderful as the Bond women; Louis Jourdan (Kamal Khan) and Kabir Bedi (Gobinda) are excellent as two of the main villains. All the other actors in "Octopussy" are cast to perfection except one: Steven Berkoff goes way over-the-top in his portrayl of the third villain, Soviet General Orlov. This character is just too silly here, and I'd wish the writers would have taken this character out. His prescene mars what would have made this a perfect film. However, this character doesn't appear in the film as much as the other two villains and that's good. Berkoff played a much better villain in "Beverly Hills Cop", which came out a year-and-a-half after this. Here, he overacts. Aside from that, "Octopussy" is one of the best James Bond movies ever made. And, Desmond Llewelyn gives one of his funniest performances here as gadgetmeister Q. Lots and lots of fun. 4 Stars 2-16-14
cosmo313
½ August 27, 2012
Entry 13 in the Bond franchise (and Moore's second to last portrayal of the character) is easily one of the weaker and sillier ones. And to think they did so well in the last one to tone things down, only to once again get campy.

This time out Bond gets embroiled in a plot that mixes jewelry smuggling, forgery, a pro-femme cult lead by the titular Octopussy (which has a major thing for octopuses), and a plan to end detente and take down all NATO forces/countries.

There's a lot going on in this, and, while I can't fault them for ambition, it gets rather muddled and hard to follow at times. This one is also fairly long, and really feels that way too, featuring several scenes that often go on longer than needed.

There's also a number of silly cheesy moments that did nothing for me, not least of which includes Bond hiding in both gorilla and clown costumes, and an eye rolling nod to Tarzan.

There are some good sequences though, like a fun train fight and the climactic battle on a plane, but overall, this is a largely dull affair. Moore wanted this to be his last Bond film, and you can tell as he looks bored, but he was roped into one more after this, and that one is almost even more uninspired than this, though not as silly.

This one does have its moments, but in the end proves to be really kinda dumb and forgettable.
sanjurosamurai
½ November 28, 2007
A solid addition, and one of the better scripts for the roger moore era. the epitome of bond ethos is featured here, with excellent use of villains and interesting locations and set pieces.
½ March 13, 2009
The 13th entry in the Bond series suffers from a weak and confusing plot that tries to mix together too many elements that only jumble up the story instead of focusing on what matters. It's hard to be entertained when you are constantly trying to figure out how anything that is happening on screen has relevance to the story. It's actually quite sad because there's some of the best action of the Roger Moore era in this film, including a fantastic finale where Bond is on top of a moving airplane. These good action sequences are undermined by the weak script and flat humor that often characterizes Roger Moore's Bond films. Too many one-liners, silly and sometimes dreadfully dumb moments (Bond imitates Tarzan at one point and you can't help but shake your head), and performances that are not up to par. Roger Moore is clearly not enjoying this as much anymore and just going through the motions. Octopussy has its moments, but it's by far one of the weakest Bond films.
November 18, 2012
A tremendously enjoyable and pulse-pounding action-packed thrill-ride. It`s loaded with tons of suspense, humor, surprisingly good romance and exciting action sequences. Roger Moore still has the goods as Bond, and Maud Adams is sexy and sensational.
November 2, 2012
In the 13th Bond movie, "Octopussy" continues along the general trend as most of the Moore Bond movies do. It has good action sequences, a cheesy story, and overall a decent mix of humor and drama. Here Bond(Roger Moore) has to stop an international smuggler who runs a circus as a cover up. She plans on using the money from the sales of a Fabreges egg to detonate a nuclear bomb in Europe It's your typical 80s(well, Roger Moore) Bond movie. Moore is a very good Bond, he just happens to be in some not so great movies. "Octopussy" along with his other movies are all good and very entertaining, but they just aren't as good as a lot of the other Bond movies. I think it's more a sign of the times they were made, rather than Roger Moore. In 1983(year I was born) this was probably a great movie, but now it's dated and not nearly as effective as other movies in the franchise. Still, I love the Bond movies, even if some of the other ones are a bit stagnet. Worth a watch and revisit, but not as memorable as most of the other movies. Although it features a woman saying her tatoo is her octopussy, which is just funny in its own perverted way:-p
September 14, 2012
13/09/2012 (DVD)
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 29, 2010
Everytime I watch Octopussy, I hope that I'll enjoy it a bit better. Unfortunately, this is not the case. This is by far the worst Bond film since The Man With The Golden Gun. The film is supposed to be serious, but it's just very silly. Example: Bond swinging from a vine and a recording of a tarzan yell plays. What a serious film this is. I want to like this film, and the plot is interesting, but the film makers went so overboard with putting so many tongue in cheek elements in the film, that ultimately, I was turned off this film. This was too much, even by Roger Moore James Bond era standards. A very intriguing plot, but very poor execution, the directors should have followed in the footsteps of For Your Eyes Only.
½ September 23, 2009
This film made me blush in front of my mum when all the ladies had not many clothes on and Bond saves the day dressed as a clown.
kpn666
½ March 9, 2009
Why do we love Roger Moore as 007? Not only can he look good while saving the world, he also got some of the best lines in the Bond movies, infuriating to the bad guys and near provocative to the ladies... you couldnt help but laugh and say "Only Bond can say that and get away with it..."

The title of this movie is provocative enough... hehehe. But that doesnt take the shine of the thrills of the classic Bond series... the trademark action scenes and Bond style is evident by veteran director John Glen, responsible for 5 007 flicks and credited on 3 more.

Guns, knives, beautiful women by the dozens and veteran International star Kabir Bedy as the ruthless henchman Gobina. Cars, planes, the entire movie is a classic Bond fest. Enjoy.
March 13, 2008
Roger Moore got his AARP card in this one and it shows. The story takes 007 from looking into stolen Russian artwork to a plot to start World War III in a tale that is a little difficult to process at times. Maud Adams returns as the title character with Louis Jordan playing the main baddie. It's an OK little adventure but tends to drag as the film goes on. The best bits are when Q's on screen and features the classic quote I'm stealing and posting here:
Vijay: Is he still there?
Q: You must be joking! Double-0 seven on an island populated exclusively by women? We won't see him till dawn!
November 27, 2008
One of the worst Bond/Moore flicks in the series, the whole thing looks terrible with dodgy stunts, bad sets and unconvincing fights and acting. The girls are pretty good in this..especially the female army in the final battle and the whole idea of being set in India is a nice original location buts that it.
Almost a Temple of Doom rip in places and with a similar big bearded baddie henchman....pretty lame.
September 28, 2008
As a Bond fan for more, I must admit I love all Bond films. But OCTOPUSSY is the best of all them all; it's also my favorite movie. Roger Moore is in top form, John Glen's direction is excellent, the plot is complex and rich, and John Barry's music is wonderful. Moreover, Louis Jourdan is a beautiful baddie, Maud Adams is one of the most interesting leading ladies, and Steven Berkoff is amazingly frightening. The cinematography is very impressive, as is the production design by Peter Lamont.

What more can I say? OCTOPUSSY is skillfully made and astonishingly thrilling from its breathtaking precredits sequence to the very end. Nobody does it better!!
½ June 19, 2007
masterful over the top excitement!!!
Moore delivers one of his best potrayels of Fleming's super spy...
Chiefilms
March 1, 2008
Great title, boring concept but I love Roger Moore.
puffchunk
October 23, 2007
I'm afraid I fell asleep, but what I saw met up with the bond par.
June 27, 2007
A convoluted and boring James Bond outing, which I always have struggled to get through. The title was a big silly show-stopper; I'm surprised the studio allowed it. I guffawed at Bond hiding in a circus with clown makeup on. I totally hated the villains in this film. The dreamy country of India couldn't save this dog of a movie. I'm glad I went to see "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" that day.
April 29, 2007
Good fun, over the top Bond action.
garyX
½ December 1, 2006
One of the better Roger Moores, the race against time to defuse a nuclear bomb being the stand-out sequence, but it's all very forgettable. An inoffensive popcorn movie.
June 21, 2006
Besides the fact that it is fun to say Octopussy, it is also a somewhat darker Bond film, and that's not a bad thing.