65% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Odd Thomas Reviews

Shawn M

October 22, 2013
Decent effects and story, the ending got me a little teary eyed but i still felt disapointed with the film.
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

October 27, 2013
Odd Thomas (Yelchin) may seem like an average young man living in an average small California town, but he possesses a unique gift: the ability to see the dead. Local Chief of Police Wyatt (Dafoe) is aware of Odd's, er...odd ability and the two work together to track down the killers of the wronged ghosts who approach Odd. As well as ghosts, Odd can also see "bodachs", malevolent spirits that kill anyone they discover has the ability to see them. When a mysterious stranger, who Odd nicknames "Fungus Man", arrives in town, he brings with him a huge number of bodachs. Odd, along with his girlfriend Stormy (Timlin) sets about investigating and soon discovers his town is in grave danger.

Thanks to a legal dispute between the film's financiers and its producers, 'Odd Thomas' is currently sitting on the shelf without a distribution deal in most territories, including North America, meaning the only way to see it right now is if it turns up at festivals like Horrorthon.
Adapted from a popular Dean R Koontz novel, which has spawned several sequels and prequels, the film tones down much of the source material's dark tone in favor of PG friendly adventure. As with his 'Mummy' movies and the much slated 'Van Helsing', writer-director Stephen Sommers again takes a horror concept and turns it into an overblown action romp.

'Odd Thomas' feels like a movie stuck in 1995. The snappy smartass dialogue reminds us of the awful Tarantino wannabe movies that were so prevalent in the latter half of the nineties and the visual aesthetic, like this year's equally bad 'RIPD', owes much to 'Men In Black'. It's a film that thinks it's a lot more clever than it actually is, full of annoying flashbacks and ludicrous exposition devices. Odd spends half the movie speaking to Stormy on the phone explaining the plot, simply because Sommers has no idea how to construct a screenplay with any kind of natural flow.
After 15 minutes I hated everything about this film and by the climax I had a pounding headache from listening to the awful constant dialogue, of which there is an unsufferable amount as well as a voiceover, just in case we may have missed any plot details. Thanks to its shelving, you may never get to see 'Odd Thomas' but that's probably a good thing.
chadroesti
chadroesti

May 5, 2014
I don't understand why this went straight to DVD. For any fan of the book this stays very true to the source material. Well for the most part. I think Stephen Sommers did a really good job turning it into a movie. Even if he left out two main characters (Elvis and Ozzie ). Fans will still love this movie and I believe the casting Anton Yeltsin as odd Thomas was a great choice. Addison Timlin as Stormy Liewellen well she looked the part but her acting wasn't totally fantastic, just serviceable. She still managed to make it known that she is the heart of the movie.

if you haven't read the book you will still enjoy this movie although it will be better for you if you read the book first.

Stephen Sommers this is his best directing to date especially after that crap that was G.I. Joe
July 2, 2014
They turned this movie into a "B" movie straight to DVD. Fans of Dean Koontz book's know that Hollywood is notorious for destroying his work turning it into film. However, this one stayed true to the book with the exception of Elvis (spoiler alert) not being in it. I enjoyed the book and the series and this movie.
March 7, 2013
An excellent job of bringing the character Odd Thomas, from the novels by Dean Koontz, to the screen. Solid story, good special effects, and excellent acting. Even if you have never read one of the books or graphic novels this movie is well worth seeing.
April 24, 2014
by Ricky Miller

"Odd Thomas"
Exhibit A: How success from a single project can guarantee you a career. Wherein the name of director Stephen Sommers catapulted him from doing mediocre paycheck jobs and had some success with the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" rip-off of 1999's "The Mummy" with the headlining of Brendan Fraser as the new action hero of the day.
In "Odd Thomas," Anton Yelchin is a short-order cook who can see dead people and other assorted spirits from the beyond. If Yelchin looks familiar, it's probably because audiences saw him as Chekov in J.J. Abrams' reboot of "Star Trek" in 2009. He was also hero Kyle Reese in McG's "Terminator: Salvation" from that same year.
At his side is his "soulmate," Stormy LLewelyn (Addison Timlin, "That Awkward Moment"), a girl he met earlier in his life. Also involved with Odd's life are Chief Wyatt Porter (Willem Dafoe, "Platoon," "Boondock Saints"), who knows of Odd's special gift for communicating with the undead.
They live in a small town, Pico Mundo, which appears to be like any American suburban town. Life runs at an even pace, minus any day of the dead scenarios.
The villains here are ghostlike apparitions named bodachs that are evil incarnate, taking the lives and souls of various individuals.
Like horror wunderkind Stephen King, this one has a notable name attached in author Dean Koontz. He spins a tale where one just accepts the ridiculous shenanigans that encompass the storyline.
Sommers has a knack for making the dumbest flicks enjoyable. He helmed one of my all-time guilty pleasures of the '90s with "Deep Rising," the story of a cruise liner that gets inhabited by malevolent sea creatures. Even his "G. I. Joe: the Rise of Cobra" was a stupid silly romp that witnessed the destruction of the Eiffel Tower by nanobots that even had a further lousy follow-up "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" just last year.
With the nicely woven tapestry of fantasy coupled with sheer ridiculousness of ghostbusting tendencies, one can do a lot worse than spend time with the denizens that occupy "Odd Thomas."
Grade: C+
Grade: C+
April 24, 2014
A strange film based on an even stranger Dean Koontz book series. Once you get into this though, it ends up being a pretty enjoyable film. The climax at the mall is really dumb and illogical, especially compared to the book...(SPOILER) the gunman who's shooting up the mall doesn't actually hit anybody except Stormy. He's trained with weapons, especially automatic ones, and he misses 3 clips worth when he's firing nearly point-blank at people with his M4 carbine. This is physically impossible, even if you're blind. And if he's a satanist cult guy who's trying to kill as many people as possible, why is he firing into the air and shooting windows? Is he trying to rob a bank or start a massacre? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I didn't have to deal with the extra gore and violence, but the scene just becomes a massive plot hole when you watch it on screen. Plus, when Odd kills the guy in the security booth with a baseball bat, knowing that there's an armed gunman running through the mall, he doesn't take the dead gunman's fully-loaded P90 submachine gun, instead opting to take his Beretta 9mm pistol, even knowing that it only has 4 bullets left in it. How does this make any sense? Again, massive plot holes, but despite this, the film ends up being pretty entertaining. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.
steelnoles
April 14, 2014
I love the series of books and was looking forward to a movie version. This could have been better but it was still enjoyable.
April 13, 2014
I was so excited for this movie, and even more so when I heard that Anton Yelchin had been cast as Odd Thomas. Then it was released, and I started hearing a lot of terrible reviews, so I went into it expecting it to completely suck. And, to be honest, in many ways, it did. It's much more corny and much less emotional than the book series. But, thankfully, it plays off as though everyone involved knew it was going to be bad and decided to just have some fun with it, and that lends it a definite appeal. If you can separate your feelings about the book and just enjoy the movie, it's a pretty fun watch.
Hamee
March 28, 2014
Yelchin was perfect in this role. It was a fantastic and ridiculous story that I will want to watch again. The story was interesting and the characters were wonderful, but the ending is a real tearjerker.
August 23, 2013
A guy can see dead people and demon-type creatures. (Like Dead Like Me). He tries to stop tragedies from happening. The ending caught me off guard Good stuff.
June 29, 2013
Nice book adaptation. Especially if you like the Odd Thomas novels. Certain "creative licenses" have been used but an o.k movie
September 13, 2014
This reminds me a bit of the Michael J. Fox movie THE FRIGHTENERS, but a bit less slick, which is a good thing. It makes me want to seek out the book series.
September 2, 2014
There is nothing really wrong with Odd Thomas. It is just not that entertaining. The plot thickens as it goes on, but the twists and turns get overbearing.
September 7, 2014
Not sure where the actual movie is wanting to go here.
August 3, 2014
An excellent movie. Enough so that I want to read the books as well
August 27, 2014
Over all, it kept relatively true to the book, but a few of the tweaks diminished the story somewhat. Anton Yelchin was an excellent choice to play Odd. And I am very happy that the director, Stephen Sommers, kept the main ending mostly unchanged from the book. Others would have given in to pressure to change it. I'm not writing what it is because that would be a spoiler. If you are looking for something good to watch, Odd Thomas will satisfy. Be warned, though. It will pull at your heartstrings.
August 26, 2014
I must say that I disagree with the majority of the critics on this one. Yelchin is charismatic enough to carry this film which walks the line between b-movie sci fi and full blown action comedy. The story may seem to never fully reach its potential, but the ride is rather enjoyable. The characters seem to be enjoying themselves enough that it is difficult to hold it against them.
August 25, 2014
I'm a Dean Koontz fan, and was really worried about the adaptation. I shouldn't have been, it was excellent. Casting was spot on, and the movie picked up on the right quirky yet ethical vibe of Odd.
August 10, 2014
I really liked this movie and I don't understand why it got such a bad rap. Very well acted, funny and entertaining. I have read all the Odd Thomas books and this movie portrayed the characters really well. I hope they will consider making this a TV series.