Odd Thomas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Odd Thomas Reviews

February 4, 2016
Seeming very nearly like the setup piece for a imminent TV series, this film creatively introduces a hero who uses his supernatural gifts to fight crime, which pretty much sounds like a CW offering come to think of it. It relies on quite a lot of CGI for the action but, while seldom boring, it also fails to completely engage. We are given Characterization Light so as to speed us along to the next action sequence lest we get bored, left with the feeling that we'll get more in depth stuff once the series starts up. Oh well.
½ November 16, 2014
Fun, mildly exciting and surprisingly moving for a film that seems like it would be half-baked. It's certainly fun to watch and worthwhile. Nice CGI special effects.
November 4, 2014
From Stephen Sommers comes the supernatural action film Odd Thomas. Based on a Dean Koontz novel, a short-order cook named Odd, who has the ability to see the dead and other supernatural creatures, notices a built up of bodachs, who feed off of death and destruction, and realizes that something catastrophic is about to happen. Starring Anton Yelchin, Addison Timlin, and Willem Dafoe, and the cast is fairly decent; Yelchin in particular is quite good at delivering the satirical comedy along with the action. But the storytelling is a little weak, as there's a lot of inorganic exposition that breaks up the flow of the film. While it doesn't entirely work, Odd Thomas is an entertaining and fun adventure.
October 22, 2013
Decent effects and story, the ending got me a little teary eyed but i still felt disapointed with the film.
themoviewaffler.com
October 27, 2013
Odd Thomas (Yelchin) may seem like an average young man living in an average small California town, but he possesses a unique gift: the ability to see the dead. Local Chief of Police Wyatt (Dafoe) is aware of Odd's, er...odd ability and the two work together to track down the killers of the wronged ghosts who approach Odd. As well as ghosts, Odd can also see "bodachs", malevolent spirits that kill anyone they discover has the ability to see them. When a mysterious stranger, who Odd nicknames "Fungus Man", arrives in town, he brings with him a huge number of bodachs. Odd, along with his girlfriend Stormy (Timlin) sets about investigating and soon discovers his town is in grave danger.

Thanks to a legal dispute between the film's financiers and its producers, 'Odd Thomas' is currently sitting on the shelf without a distribution deal in most territories, including North America, meaning the only way to see it right now is if it turns up at festivals like Horrorthon.
Adapted from a popular Dean R Koontz novel, which has spawned several sequels and prequels, the film tones down much of the source material's dark tone in favor of PG friendly adventure. As with his 'Mummy' movies and the much slated 'Van Helsing', writer-director Stephen Sommers again takes a horror concept and turns it into an overblown action romp.

'Odd Thomas' feels like a movie stuck in 1995. The snappy smartass dialogue reminds us of the awful Tarantino wannabe movies that were so prevalent in the latter half of the nineties and the visual aesthetic, like this year's equally bad 'RIPD', owes much to 'Men In Black'. It's a film that thinks it's a lot more clever than it actually is, full of annoying flashbacks and ludicrous exposition devices. Odd spends half the movie speaking to Stormy on the phone explaining the plot, simply because Sommers has no idea how to construct a screenplay with any kind of natural flow.
After 15 minutes I hated everything about this film and by the climax I had a pounding headache from listening to the awful constant dialogue, of which there is an unsufferable amount as well as a voiceover, just in case we may have missed any plot details. Thanks to its shelving, you may never get to see 'Odd Thomas' but that's probably a good thing.
February 20, 2013
Based on the novel by award winning writer, Dean Koontz, comes the wildly successful Odd Thomas. This story was so popular, that it's become an entire series, one that Koontz has worked on almost exclusively since it's release. This unique story focuses on a unique man, with a unique name. Odd (Anton Yelchin) is a short order cook in a small California town, where he lives a relatively normal life with his girlfriend, Stormy. Odd is no different than any other twenty-something in town, except for the fact that he sees the dead, specifically people who died prematurely and under suspicious circumstances. They can't talk to him, but the spirits lead Odd to the evidence he needs to find the truth. When a strange man comes to town, the spirits lead Odd to be suspicious, and with good cause. Anton Yelchin stars and once again shows off his loveable charisma. There is something about him that makes Yelchin the guy that everyone wants to be friends with, an ability that comes across in every character he plays. Odd is no different, as he is this complete weirdo, but with an innocent quality, that just makes people want to like him. Here he's more than just a lovable goofball, but he's also an unofficial detective and hero, that people turn to in there time of need. Everyone knows he's weird, but few know his secret, one of those being the Chief of Police, played by the legendary Willem Dafoe. Dafoe usually portrays the bad guy, and it was interesting to see him take on a different challenge. Odd Thomas is smart and extremely well written, with a terrific cast, that really brings the story alive with their own unique style. The story may seem like it's a little out there, but it's not just science fiction, it's a story that crosses many genres and has something for everyone, an easy choice for our list of must see movies!
chadroesti
May 5, 2014
I don't understand why this went straight to DVD. For any fan of the book this stays very true to the source material. Well for the most part. I think Stephen Sommers did a really good job turning it into a movie. Even if he left out two main characters (Elvis and Ozzie ). Fans will still love this movie and I believe the casting Anton Yeltsin as odd Thomas was a great choice. Addison Timlin as Stormy Liewellen well she looked the part but her acting wasn't totally fantastic, just serviceable. She still managed to make it known that she is the heart of the movie.

if you haven't read the book you will still enjoy this movie although it will be better for you if you read the book first.

Stephen Sommers this is his best directing to date especially after that crap that was G.I. Joe
September 26, 2015
Excellent movie. I loved the story line. Didn't read the books, but this definitely makes me want to. I recommend this movie to everyone! Just wonderful!
½ April 5, 2014
THIS IS A NICE LOVE STORY WITH A SUSPENCE MYSTERY AROUND ODD THOMAS THAT HE CAN SEE THE DEAD. WITH THIS HE IS OUT THERE HELPING THE DEAD REST AND STOP THE BAD WHEN HE CAN. A BOOK OF DEAN KOONTZ IS A JOY TO READ AND MOVIE IS FUN TOO!
November 28, 2014
Odd Thomas feels much more like a series pilot than a film. It spends at least a third of the run time explaining the characters and Odd Thomas' abilities, and has the feeling of a narrative testing itself out. And although I like Anton Yelchin in general, his voice is not well suited as a narrator. All and all, this is a swing and a miss.
July 2, 2014
They turned this movie into a "B" movie straight to DVD. Fans of Dean Koontz book's know that Hollywood is notorious for destroying his work turning it into film. However, this one stayed true to the book with the exception of Elvis (spoiler alert) not being in it. I enjoyed the book and the series and this movie.
March 7, 2013
An excellent job of bringing the character Odd Thomas, from the novels by Dean Koontz, to the screen. Solid story, good special effects, and excellent acting. Even if you have never read one of the books or graphic novels this movie is well worth seeing.
½ May 2, 2014
I never read the book so I can't say if this movie is a good adaptation or not. What I can say, is that it mostly feels like a B movie, but that's not always a bad thing...
½ April 24, 2014
by Ricky Miller

"Odd Thomas"
Exhibit A: How success from a single project can guarantee you a career. Wherein the name of director Stephen Sommers catapulted him from doing mediocre paycheck jobs and had some success with the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" rip-off of 1999's "The Mummy" with the headlining of Brendan Fraser as the new action hero of the day.
In "Odd Thomas," Anton Yelchin is a short-order cook who can see dead people and other assorted spirits from the beyond. If Yelchin looks familiar, it's probably because audiences saw him as Chekov in J.J. Abrams' reboot of "Star Trek" in 2009. He was also hero Kyle Reese in McG's "Terminator: Salvation" from that same year.
At his side is his "soulmate," Stormy LLewelyn (Addison Timlin, "That Awkward Moment"), a girl he met earlier in his life. Also involved with Odd's life are Chief Wyatt Porter (Willem Dafoe, "Platoon," "Boondock Saints"), who knows of Odd's special gift for communicating with the undead.
They live in a small town, Pico Mundo, which appears to be like any American suburban town. Life runs at an even pace, minus any day of the dead scenarios.
The villains here are ghostlike apparitions named bodachs that are evil incarnate, taking the lives and souls of various individuals.
Like horror wunderkind Stephen King, this one has a notable name attached in author Dean Koontz. He spins a tale where one just accepts the ridiculous shenanigans that encompass the storyline.
Sommers has a knack for making the dumbest flicks enjoyable. He helmed one of my all-time guilty pleasures of the '90s with "Deep Rising," the story of a cruise liner that gets inhabited by malevolent sea creatures. Even his "G. I. Joe: the Rise of Cobra" was a stupid silly romp that witnessed the destruction of the Eiffel Tower by nanobots that even had a further lousy follow-up "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" just last year.
With the nicely woven tapestry of fantasy coupled with sheer ridiculousness of ghostbusting tendencies, one can do a lot worse than spend time with the denizens that occupy "Odd Thomas."
Grade: C+
Grade: C+
April 24, 2014
A strange film based on an even stranger Dean Koontz book series. Once you get into this though, it ends up being a pretty enjoyable film. The climax at the mall is really dumb and illogical, especially compared to the book...(SPOILER) the gunman who's shooting up the mall doesn't actually hit anybody except Stormy. He's trained with weapons, especially automatic ones, and he misses 3 clips worth when he's firing nearly point-blank at people with his M4 carbine. This is physically impossible, even if you're blind. And if he's a satanist cult guy who's trying to kill as many people as possible, why is he firing into the air and shooting windows? Is he trying to rob a bank or start a massacre? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I didn't have to deal with the extra gore and violence, but the scene just becomes a massive plot hole when you watch it on screen. Plus, when Odd kills the guy in the security booth with a baseball bat, knowing that there's an armed gunman running through the mall, he doesn't take the dead gunman's fully-loaded P90 submachine gun, instead opting to take his Beretta 9mm pistol, even knowing that it only has 4 bullets left in it. How does this make any sense? Again, massive plot holes, but despite this, the film ends up being pretty entertaining. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.
April 14, 2014
I love the series of books and was looking forward to a movie version. This could have been better but it was still enjoyable.
April 13, 2014
I was so excited for this movie, and even more so when I heard that Anton Yelchin had been cast as Odd Thomas. Then it was released, and I started hearing a lot of terrible reviews, so I went into it expecting it to completely suck. And, to be honest, in many ways, it did. It's much more corny and much less emotional than the book series. But, thankfully, it plays off as though everyone involved knew it was going to be bad and decided to just have some fun with it, and that lends it a definite appeal. If you can separate your feelings about the book and just enjoy the movie, it's a pretty fun watch.
½ March 28, 2014
Yelchin was perfect in this role. It was a fantastic and ridiculous story that I will want to watch again. The story was interesting and the characters were wonderful, but the ending is a real tearjerker.
August 23, 2013
A guy can see dead people and demon-type creatures. (Like Dead Like Me). He tries to stop tragedies from happening. The ending caught me off guard Good stuff.